Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Dave Greenfield (The Stranglers) RIP

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am absolutely gutted. Don't know what to say. The Stranglers are my favourite band of my life, seen them live 9 times and Dave was the Stranglers. One of the greatest keyboard players this country has ever produced and was due to see them live at the Dome, Brighton in September. He was and still is my musical hero. Awful news. RIP Dave

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I LOVED the Stranglers and the live gigs I looked forward to all year. JJ was and is magnificent but the Man I really went to see was Dave Greenfield

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I can’t believe it, the Stranglers have been part of my life for over 40 years! I’m shocked and saddened by this news.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sad news, he was so prominent within Stranglers RIP.

Most played song in the pubs on the duke boxes in that era was Golden brown by a long way, or perhaps it was always my dollar that was playing it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I realise they lost some punk fans as they evolved, but I love this later song with beautifully haunting keyboards from DG.

So talented imho, DG could’ve pursued any musical genre, thankfully for me and many others, he chose punk/new wave.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Very sad. Another fine musician taken down by this wretched virus. One of the best examples of talented artists finding their feet in a time when many presumed those of the day were all talentless wannabe's. Always stood out as master of his art both as a musical collaborator and by adding colour to create a very individual sound for the band to make them instantly recognisable.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Very sad. Another fine musician taken down by this wretched virus. One of the best examples of talented artists finding their feet in a time when many presumed those of the day were all talentless wannabe's. Always stood out as master of his art both as a musical collaborator and by adding colour to create a very individual sound for the band to make them instantly recognisable.

The Stranglers were not in the same league as all the other punk bands they arrived in. They were simply on a different level above that was ridiculously better in terms of talent and musical ability

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Stranglers were not in the same league as all the other punk bands they arrived in. They were simply on a level above that was ridiculously better in terms of talent and musical ability

Not the time or place to argue the toss but I will say that my other favourite band of this era (XTC) had a long and varied career post punk and veered very beautifully into pastoral psychedelia so clearly had a bit of musical ability.

Couldn't agree more re: the Sham 69's of this world however...

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I'm a bit concerned that Gregory 2, Smith 1 hasn't yet contributed to this thread as he's one of the biggest Stranglers fans on this board. Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing any posts from him in a while. Hope he's ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here