Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Latest from Andy Naylor
"Long-time target Darwin Nunez remains of interest but Benfica are keen to keep hold of the Uruguayan while they remain in the Champions League (their play-off with PSV Eindhoven to decide who qualifies for the group stage concludes on August 24 — a week before the window closes)."
https://theathletic.com/2774526/2021/08/18/what-does-your-team-still-need-in-the-transfer-window/

Tbh I’d rather we saw him actually fit before buying. We’ve already got enough crockers in the squad currently

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I must admit I thought Nunez was the perfect player based on his stats, physicality, play-style and attitude, before he joined Benfica.

I haven’t really followed him at Benfica but it sounds like he’s done pretty well, although injuries are a concern.

It felt like his route was supposed to be Benfica (bang a bunch of goals in, in that league) then onto a huge club like Real Madrid.

We must see an opportunity here. Perhaps his injury is not so bad. Perhaps Benfica really need to sell if they do not get the UCL funds. Perhaps the current injury has put off other clubs from bidding…

An opportunity and also a risk - but one Bloom is willing bet on?

If the injury is fairly standard / not recurring, it could be one hell of a signing.
If he wants to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Wether they are training or not makes little difference when they don’t get on a pitch only maupay of the current strikers that have played regularly isn’t injury prone and adding another seems stupid to say the least

Rare vote for not buying a new striker there !

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Rare vote for not buying a new striker there !

I'll be honest, I don't think we need a new striker, but I'd like one. I also trust the club (especially under Ashworth) to do it's due diligence. If Núñez is that man and they're confident that the injury isn't one prone to recurrence then I'll take that.

If however we go into this season without a new striker, I also won't spend the whole season pelting our existing group of players with abuse because I may be rare in that I do actually have faith that Maupay can get 15 goals this season with a) the right mindset and b) the right support. He's a good player and a great team player, if his confidence is up, he's a real handful and I love that about him.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I'll be honest, I don't think we need a new striker, but I'd like one. I also trust the club (especially under Ashworth) to do it's due diligence. If Núñez is that man and they're confident that the injury isn't one prone to recurrence then I'll take that.

If however we go into this season without a new striker, I also won't spend the whole season pelting our existing group of players with abuse because I may be rare in that I do actually have faith that Maupay can get 15 goals this season with a) the right mindset and b) the right support. He's a good player and a great team player, if his confidence is up, he's a real handful and I love that about him.

This is all fair. Ironically though, I think Maupay’s best bet of getting 15 goals is if we do sign another forward. In the same way he was great alongside Watkins and Benrahma for Brentford. I do think that forward needs to have pace though, and I’m not sure Nunez does, which concerns me slightly. But we seem very keen, so will trust the recruitment team on this one.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This is all fair. Ironically though, I think Maupay’s best bet of getting 15 goals is if we do sign another forward. In the same way he was great alongside Watkins and Benrahma for Brentford. I do think that forward needs to have pace though, and I’m not sure Nunez does, which concerns me slightly. But we seem very keen, so will trust the recruitment team on this one.

You're probably right. I think Maupay is at his best when he has the pressure is off a little bit. Having someone in that has that pressure on them instead may well kick him on even further (especially if our midfielders fancy chipping in a bit)

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
You're probably right. I think Maupay is at his best when he has the pressure is off a little bit. Having someone in that has that pressure on them instead may well kick him on even further (especially if our midfielders fancy chipping in a bit)

He’s also very good at linking up play. But if he was alongside an ‘off the shoulder’ fast man, it would stretch the play and make more space for him and the midfielders. Welbeck does it a bit (and I think we look best with both him and Neal in the side) but even he is more a link up man, having played wide in a front 3 most of his career.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Benfica 2-0 up. They could easily put this tie, and simultaneously this thread, to rest tonight

I'd rather that than dragging it out, the minute he said he actively doesn't want to come anywhere near us the first time should have been enough, the fact we've gone back and been told he isn't interested AGAIN and we keep talking about it is madness. If someone doesn't want to be here then I definitely don't want them here.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If we were waiting on Benfica's likley advance or not in the CL, its all going a bit wrong...... Watching on BT sport and cheering on PSV is feeling like watching some of our performances. HT 2-0 Benfica, but score doesnt at all reflect the match.

Benficas first attack, against the run of play, they score...... its been totally 1 way, PSV attack after attack, mainly down the right thorugh the English fella Madueke, PSV have been by far the better team, had a brilliant goal by Zahavi chalked off for being a whisker offside.

Benfica second attack/attempt on goal from a cross and ball is bundled in, Burnley style.

Its not quite us at home v Palace last season, but by far the better team with more possession and more chances is losing 2-0 at HT.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
If we were waiting on Benfica's likley advance or not in the CL, its all going a bit wrong...... Watching on BT sport and cheering on PSV is feeling like watching some of our performances. HT 2-0 Benfica, but score doesnt at all reflect the match.

Benficas first attack, against the run of play, they score...... its been totally 1 way, PSV attack after attack, mainly down the right thorugh the English fella Madueke, PSV have been by far the better team, had a brilliant goal by Zahavi chalked off for being a whisker offside.

Benfica second attack/attempt on goal from a cross and ball is bundled in, Burnley style.

Its not quite us at home v Palace last season, but by far the better team with more possession and more chances is losing 2-0 at HT.

Well, that gives me some hope I guess.

I can't believe I'm emotionally invested in this bizarre, complex and somewhat dubious set of circumstances that may or may not lead to our most expensive signing ever...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd rather that than dragging it out, the minute he said he actively doesn't want to come anywhere near us the first time should have been enough, the fact we've gone back and been told he isn't interested AGAIN and we keep talking about it is madness. If someone doesn't want to be here then I definitely don't want them here.

I hate him already, I’ll be booing the **** from the moment he makes his debut for us if we manage to get him

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All a ploy for the fans two summers of nonsense over a player who has shown zero interest to join us. End of the window it will be it’s not easy, we tried etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here