Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Gough, Talksport - Our Squad Worth £31m Apparently!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm sorry but an average wage of 8k per week is absolutely nothing is this league compared to several clubs. They obviously don't know what they're talking about, that said I still think we should be doing better with the squad we have.

An average of 8k a week is huge when you consider last seasons average across the entire division was around 4k. The fact it's so different immediately make me question the validity of the figures from Talksport. The only way I can think they came up with that number is if they've included Wayne Bridges entire salary rather than the % we are actually paying.

Finance in English Football: Wage Disparities Between the Divisions | Soccerlens

Premier League wages FIVE times more than Championship | Mail Online

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
What time was this on? Do they still have the listen back feature on their website?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
An average of 8k a week is huge when you consider last seasons average across the entire division was around 4k. The fact it's so different immediately make me question the validity of the figures from Talksport. The only way I can think they came up with that number is if they've included Wayne Bridges entire salary rather than the % we are actually paying.

Finance in English Football: Wage Disparities Between the Divisions | Soccerlens

Premier League wages FIVE times more than Championship | Mail Online

It depends what you class as squad I suppose. All the development squad included or just the first team? e.g 3 or 4 players at Birmingham are on £30k + a week

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some people believing those two wazzocks because it suits their agenda.

Point is - they're in no better position to judge releative wage structures than anyone else. Have they done a minute inspection of every club's slaray list? Highly unlikely, because the figures haven't been published. So why are they saying it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The £4k average weekly wage in the division was 3 years ago, and based on every player in the complete clubs squads ie including the equivalent at all clubs of Forster-Caskey, Barker; so masking the much higher average first team-ears get.

In addition, since then, there have been several batches of clubs coming down with mega parachute payments, and some big investors subidising losses meeting generous players wages, such as TB, and the Cardiff, Watford, Hull and Leicester owners.

The £8k at Brighton mentioned on Talksport sounds plausible, with occasional player Vicente, and Bridge amongst the top lot on far more than that.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Worth and cost are two different things entirely. Yes our squad is one of the best in the league, but I'd imagine it's not exactly high on the list of cost to compile it.

Brezovan - free?
Bruno - free
Greer - £300k?
Hammond - loan
Dunk - free
El-Abd - free
Hoskins - £500k
Crofts - £300k?
Barnes - £100k?
Dobbie - £500k max, pretty irrelevant anyway.
Orlandi - £300k?
Mackail-Smith - £2.5m
Calderon - free?
Vicente - free
Ankergen - free?
Dicker - free
Ulloa - £2m
Upson - loan
Lopez - free
Painter - free?
Agdestein - nominal
Lualua - £500k?
Bridcutt - free
Bridge - loan
Kuszczak - free
Buckley - £1m

Disclaimer: If I've said 'free?' and they're not, it's probably a nominal amount anyway.

£7m max. Not bad value if you ask me.

To be fair though mate, you have missed off our £20m man who is currently on loan at MK Dons!

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
"With our budget" **** off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here