. . . and then he got injured.

. . . and then he retired.

. . . and he married Frankie Sandford.

Frankie%20Sandford%20on%20Venice%20Beach

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
He did.

We didn't offer him a contract. He'd have stayed here for 10k a week, regardless of what Reading offered, but we didn't even make an offer.

I was told that by somebody who was in regular contact with the players on a daily basis, and has been on holiday with Wayne during his time at the club, so have no reason to disbelieve it.

Realistically he was out of our price range , failing to get promoted meant we couldn't afford him. Reading had parachute payments.

He wasn't.

i have been inclined to give Burke and the recruitment team the benefit of the doubt over the last couple of years (despite the current charge list looking pretty damning), but titbits like these do make one begin to wonder what the feck is going on at the club.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Would be very good if we kept him .. 2 goals in 4 games says it all

Agreed.

He's had no better service than our regular League One strikers either yet look at his return, and that's without exactly playing out of his skin. He also gives opposition defences much more to think about just by his presence and reputation alone.

I'd love him to stay.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Not much point posting anything remotely positive on NSC nowdays without someone wanting to drag it down...well done!

I guess you'd have preferred "I hate it here and can't wait to get back to Villa". :rolleyes:

Wow someone's a tired boy! I was meerly pointing out what a player says and does are sometimes completely different, feel free to go through my posts im no doom monger! Lets be honest could we afford him anyway? Im sure villa will want to recoup some of the sum they paid for him and his wages at the age of 31 will be possibly too high, id love him to stay and glad he is happy but we have to be realistic

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Not with a sprog on the way and an extravagant wedding on the horizon ?

Read my post.

He'd have stayed on 10k a week (despite having 20k a week on the table from Reading). We didn't even make him an offer. He (and his family) was extremely happy at the club, and was very keen to stay.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Would rather know how much we're paying of his 60k a week wages before keeping him on...I doubt very much we're paying just 10k a week,probably 30k a week at a guess.

Why would we need to know? even if it was all of it (which it wont be), it would be 1.2 million until the end of season (20 weeks). If its half or 30k a week thats 600k.

600k for a class premier league centre forward, who will score plenty at this level if hes given the service.

For a team short on goals, short on striking options and 4 points adrift, the price of not paying for quality like Bent will be far higher.

He's a bargain

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It does worry you doesn't it, Bent is keen to stay so the club should be looking to put this to bed now!

Exactly, can see the Stephen Ward scenario looming. Bet it will be Wigan or another of our rivals who get to the signature first.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
This.Unbelievable that no lower prem side, WBA for example, never came calling for him.His record is really up there with some seriously good players.

Villa are not going to loan him to a lower prem club just in case he bangs in the goals and that club could be the one that send villa down.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Read my post.

He'd have stayed on 10k a week (despite having 20k a week on the table from Reading). We didn't even make him an offer. He (and his family) was extremely happy at the club, and was very keen to stay.

You never know with different training methods between the tow clubs he may never had got the injury had he have stay with us...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Heard a rumour he is off to Ipswich in Jan. ....don't shoot the messenger

He's more likely to head up the A23, or to another struggling Division One team, on a permanent deal. He wouldn't sign for another team at our level, unless, please God, his loan is extended here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
if its 10 k a week and he wants to stay for 11k a week god help us cos Burke will make sure its no more than 10k!!

Yep, stringing it out to save a few bob ( well thousands in truth) and losing out, it's not like it's a rare occurrence for the Albion. Still it's Bloom's money he chooses to spend it as he pleases, just a little irritating that he doesn't skimp on the infrastructure but seems quite happy to do it on the team, to me just as important if we are to move on :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here