Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Bent Keen To Stay

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Makes a mockery of getting rid if the high earners doesn't it, also we've tried to do things on the cheap to make a profit on Leo but have probably spanked that up the wall with all the loans so instead of spending that money and the Buckley money wisely on good players we've got under average players and now will have to spend even more in January.

Bloody shambles.

And yet the other person is guessing ...so if I guessed 10k a week would that be any good? I'd say that for a proven goal scorer would be good business ..but it's only a guess

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Given our current predicament it could be worth paying Bent if we can keep him until the end of the season.

Who else of the right calibre (and available and willing to come to us) would have the same impact? It was a real coup to capture Bent and now he is here we desperately need to build on that. Give him the right service and he could be on 20 goals come May. Worth stretching our budget if it secures us a respectable finish.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
If we got any chance of staying up its vital we keep him till the end of the season but with his contract coming to a end with villa not sure how a deal could be done.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Given our current predicament it could be worth paying Bent if we can keep him until the end of the season.

Who else of the right calibre (and available and willing to come to us) would have the same impact? It was a real coup to capture Bent and now he is here we desperately need to build on that. Give him the right service and he could be on 20 goals come May. Worth stretching our budget if it secures us a respectable finish.

Worth stretching our budget if it keeps us up!

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
He says he is not interested in money (!) so what would he accept and how much would Villa want to make the move permanent? Must be worth considering to make sure we do not go down and start on the front foot next year?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Worth stretching our budget if it keeps us up!

Quite. Hence the first line of my post:thumbsup:

I am a bit concerned that Bent banging in the goals while on loan for us will tempt a Prem or top Championship side to gazump us with a permanent deal in January. Plus I suspect Villa would find it hard to resist a decent offer a) so they can offload a high earner and b) give them some funds for some transfer business of their own.

It would be a heck of a coup if we can keep him until the end of the season. Probably the best outcome for us at the moment, so I hope we already have a decent option to extend his loan.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere

This.Unbelievable that no lower prem side, WBA for example, never came calling for him.His record is really up there with some seriously good players.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I remember wayne Bridge wanted to stay and said being at Brighton had made him fall in love with football again

Not much point posting anything remotely positive on NSC nowdays without someone wanting to drag it down...well done!

I guess you'd have preferred "I hate it here and can't wait to get back to Villa". :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The irony is, is that this story contradicts what Hyypia said to the Argus last week about not keeping him beyond December.

Hyypia speaks in riddles, I have no idea what he is on about most of the time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Whilst l'm in full agreement about trying to keep him, TWENTY goals by the end of the season? I think that's pie in the sky.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The irony is, is that this story contradicts what Hyypia said to the Argus last week about not keeping him beyond December.

It doesn't really though. Paraphrasing:

Hyypia: I'd like to keep him, but I'm not sure we can.
Bent: I'd rather stay at Brighton than sit on the Villa bench.

I'm sure Darren Bent is telling the truth there, but there's a third option which is he gets picked up by another club (lower Prem/upper Champ) in January, which is the last chance Villa have to get something back for him.

This, and his wages etc were covered here: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?367

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I remember wayne Bridge wanted to stay and said being at Brighton had made him fall in love with football again

He did.

We didn't offer him a contract. He'd have stayed here for 10k a week, regardless of what Reading offered, but we didn't even make an offer.

I was told that by somebody who was in regular contact with the players on a daily basis, and has been on holiday with Wayne during his time at the club, so have no reason to disbelieve it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Whilst l'm in full agreement about trying to keep him, TWENTY goals by the end of the season? I think that's pie in the sky.

1. Kindly note the caveat in my statement: 'Give him the right service....'
2. It might seem like 'pie in the sky' but frankly 20 goals from Bent is probably what we need to win enough games to get the additional 30 points in order to finish just above the relegation zone in May - let alone the 'respectable finish' I suggested.
3. Who else in our squad is scoring enough to make the sort of difference we need...
4. 20 goals would justify the sort of money we will probably need to shell out to keep Bent....
5. OK if Bent opts to move on - then which other striker would you bring in for the same money, who is also a) available and b) willing to come to us?
6. Finally you may well be right - 20 goals is a tall ask, especially if we have to resume our dependency on Baldock/CMS/COG etc. I've already suggested in other threads that for us to make the most out of Bent (or AN Other striker) that Sami will have to get his act together. At least there were some signs of this yesterday. So a tad more optimism wouldn't go amiss!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He only signed fior Reading because we didn't make him an offer.

Realistically he was out of our price range , failing to get promoted meant we couldn't afford him. Reading had parachute payments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here