Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darlington FC RIP

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you were a footballer, would you want to risk turning out in one game, for a single payment, knowing that if you picked up a career threatening injury, there'd be no club left to look after you?

Hate to say it as it would be rubbish if Darlo went under, but I could understand if the players were reluctant to turn out, unless it was purely to put themselves in the shop window.

One would assume the administrators would keep the insurance going to ensure they are still covered in case of injury.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For those not in the know:

Brian Fairey is a sad act of a Crystal Palace fan who comes on here posing as a Brighton/Liverpool fan to take the piss out of all the supposed Premiership plastics making up the crowd at the Amex this season. Ignore the twot - Palace have got more Arse/Spurs/Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool fans in their home seats than Brighton will ever have.

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
I feel confident they'll pop up again. Shame to see it happen, I'd feel worse if they didn't piss their money away on a stadium they didn't need, but it's still sad to say any club get wound up.

As a side note, they were responsibly for the dullest football match I've ever seen. Went to visit my sister who lives up Leicester way, had to spend the day with her husband so we decided to take in a football game at any old club. Notts County 0 - 0 Darlington. One shot all game. Our steward had a dead magpie.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
This kind of thing is really sad, IMO, but at least its only a little club.

One day it will happen to a proper club with a real history. Football needs to sit up and take note.

This comment really beggars belief!

Believe it or not, there have been/are so many clubs outside the Premiership struggling with financial problems - and I don't mean struggling to find an extra couple of million to sign a player. Even one club going to the wall would be one too many.

The trouble is, to people like you it would need to be Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U or Citeh before you take any notice.......

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Brian Fairey is a sad act of a Crystal Palace fan who comes on here posing as a Brighton/Liverpool fan to take the piss out of all the supposed Premiership plastics making up the crowd at the Amex this season. Ignore the twot - Palace have got more Arse/Spurs/Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool fans in their home seats than Brighton will ever have.
Ahh! Thanks for the heads-up. I shall consider myself crodo'd.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
This kind of thing is really sad, IMO, but at least its only a little club.

One day it will happen to a proper club with a real history. Football needs to sit up and take note.
Top fishing Sir!

In all seriousness, completely the wrong time - I wish Darlington luck and WANT to help , but abit buggered to think how!! very bleak times indeed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One would assume the administrators would keep the insurance going to ensure they are still covered in case of injury.

They will, but there will be no club to conduct the rehabilitation, so any player with a serious injury would end up being treated in hospitals, private clinics and so on, with no day to day contact with other footballers and little prospect of finding a new team. Any of our players getting crocked will be working closely with the club to get fit again, for however many months it takes. There can't be much motivation if you're on your own.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What a terrible tragedy for the game. As Easy 10 said above, eyebrows were raised when that lunatic of a former chairman of theirs built such a huge stadium for such a modest but decent, historic club. I loved my trip to Feethams in about 1996, now that was a great old-fashioned ground; one with a cricket pitch next door and that harked back to an era when football often co-existed with other sports at close quarters. I'd love for Darlington to regroup there if they can.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
That is shit news, feel for the Darlo fans.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010

May I ask how you know this?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is Vic Reeves a football fan? He grew up in Darlington. Surely he could have afforded the money to save his local club?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I must admit to be a little ignorant over the recent goings on at Darlo. Couple of questions though........ Who paid for the stadium and who is now owed money that has caused this present administration ?

Last edited:

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Is Vic Reeves a football fan? He grew up in Darlington. Surely he could have afforded the several ones to save his local club?

He lives in Ashford now i used to see him all the time, always shopped in Levis in the outlet

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
A sad day for football, I hope they rebuild and come back. The total prick on a wind up mission on here Brian Fairey, is bang out of order. I wouldn't even wish Palace folding, because of the lives that are affected. Obviously not a football fan.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
A sad day for football, and I hope Darlington start again in the lower leagues and make a comeback, ala Aldershot and Wimbledon.

I dont want to sound an arse, but this is the third time in eight years that they have gone in adminastration, so maybe its time to let them go.

Personally I get fed up with business writing of their debts, and starting up doing exactly the same thing but with a slightly different name.

Hope the Darlington fans set up a new club, and have happier times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here