Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Dark Side of the moon

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Sorry, Syd Barrett fan here, it was all overblown shite after Piper at the Gates of Dawn .

Syd`s life was tragic , but Dark side of the moon- Wish you were here and Animals were fantastic albums , and Syd was still paid royalties by the rest of the band because they all loved the guy and tried to look out for him .

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I won't ever listen to one track from it and to me it's one single 42 minute piece of musical brilliance. I also wont ever put it on just as background music if working etc. I can't think of another album that I care so much about when deciding to listen to it.

There will be albums out there which you can point to for the amount of hits spawned from it etc, but as a single physical album to listen to from start to finish? No better in my opinion.

Genius
Time has brilliant lyrics, this verse is probably my all time favourite, and so true.

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
I can't read the end of that last line without then breaking into my attempted version of the Gilmour solo but with my mouth making the noises. :lolol:

"You missed the starting gun wooooowwww waaaaaaa wa wah wahh neeeooowww "

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’m in Keswick for a few nights. Went to an open mic night last night. Some guy jammed with his sax along to Time and it was startlingly good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I won't ever listen to one track from it and to me it's one single 42 minute piece of musical brilliance. I also wont ever put it on just as background music if working etc. I can't think of another album that I care so much about when deciding to listen to it.

There will be albums out there which you can point to for the amount of hits spawned from it etc, but as a single physical album to listen to from start to finish? No better in my opinion.
I love your enthusiasm and dedication. I agree with your sentiment on albums though…I typically always listen to long players as a whole and there’s a lot of albums I will just sit and listen to as opposed to just “have on.”

:thumbsup:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
On a slight change of subject, i think my favourite band, Sparks, should be up for some sort of longevity award, “The band” has really only been the Mael Brothers and still to this day are not only touring but releasing great new material. You tube shows a recording as early as 1967 and their first two albums are over fifty years old.

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, Syd Barrett fan here, it was all overblown shite after Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Each to their own. Reminds me of the Peter Gabriel/ Phil Collins Genesis comparison that will rage on past the end of mankind
I was a Roger Waters man so not liked anything released since he left.

For those who prefer the older stuff, I'm told that Nick Mason's Sourcerful of Secrets are well worth going to see
On a slight change of subject, i think my favourite band, Sparks, should be up for some sort of longevity award, “The band” has really only been the Mael Brothers and still to this day are not only touring but releasing great new material. You tube shows a recording as early as 1967 and their first two albums are over fifty years old.
Sparks are playing the Royal Albert Hall later this year.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Animals album has the photo on the cover of the inflatable pig flying from Battersea Power Station, this was taken in 1976.
I was a kid in 76 and going past Battersea on the train with my dad when the pig was flying, I had no idea about Pink Floyd at the time, I very much doubt my dad knew why the pig was there.
I didn’t actually know the pig was used on the record cover until several years later, I was going to London on the train with a mate and told him about the pig, he told me about the Floyd album because his older brother owned it.
My friend took me into a record shop when we got to Victoria to show me the Animals album.

I saw this photo recently on Twitter.

Attachments

• 313BDE1E-A43B-4DB3-BE0A-A77D220EA3E3.jpeg
    313BDE1E-A43B-4DB3-BE0A-A77D220EA3E3.jpeg
    834.1 KB · Views: 27

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They good fun to see as well. I also got to see the excellent FFS (them and Franz Ferdinand) a few years back. I truly hope these two get together again as the gig was brilliant.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Have you watched the recent documentary (2021) on them? Excellent, entertaining, enlightening. Directed by big fan Edgar Wright, it's called "The Sparks Brothers". Highly recommended.

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
For those who prefer the older stuff, I'm told that Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets are well worth going to see
They are superb. I've seen them a number of times and they cover the period of 1967-1972. They first played live in 2018, and have toured (Covid permitting) since, changing up the setlist since the Live At The Roundhouse LP/CD/DVD/Blu-ray. Nick Mason is having the time of his life touring with them. Their rendition of Echoes is incredible. Those of you in Italy/Poland/Czech Republic in July this year, they've just added another mini-jaunt of a few more dates.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you would like a different version of the same album try this.
I love it. Excellent audiophile recording.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here