Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think you can scrub any chance of a new signing as a striker now.

Bit perplexed with this. If reports are correct then we'd both offered Welbeck a new contract / and had met the valuation for Nico Gonzalez .
Are you saying if , in the end , Gonzalez had chosen the premier league - we'd have gone back to Welbeck and told him to sling his hook ?
It seems pretty clear - of course it might not come off - that the club are sniffing around a new forward to strengthen the squad ALONGSIDE Welbeck, Maupay (and perhaps 1 or none of Andone/Zeqiri/Connolly depending on loan market / players ambitions etc)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm with you - very happy he has re-committed, but also very surprised it is only one year. I wonder if the contract contains some sort of guaranteed extension if he makes a certain number of appearances.

Anyway, delighted!

Almost certainly I’d imagine. Hope there is no let out clause if he plays most of next season like he played the end of this one

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Superb news

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Wow, I'm very surprised that he has signed only a one year deal with us at this stage of the summer. Surprised but delighted for us.

Don't be surprised. This is the pandemic/post-pandemic world of football. despite all the bollocks in the papers and on-line football finances are tight. Sure it'll be an improved deal with an option for extension based on appearances.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
That's big for us. Came into really good form crucially during our run-in, which you'd hope he may be able to carry into next season. And as has been mentioned before - it's not cheap or easy trying to replace the quality and PL experience he brings in an otherwise developing/inconsistent strikeforce.

To add, as good as he's been for us, I really don't think he was ever likely to be offered a more attractive package elsewhere.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fantastic news!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great news assuming we sing and out and out, straight down the middle, striker with some pedigree.

Any variation of 1, 2, or Maupay and Welbeck as inside forwards in a, 3 and we might just scare a few teams.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I don't agree with that. I reckon a new striker will sign and Andone will leave.

Makes sense if Andone leaves, and any others do, but if they don't I think our attacking line up will remain as it was last season.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
What are the chances of us now signing a new attacking mid winger type (like Gonzalez) to replace an outgoing Izzy/AJ, and also sign up another new striker? Wishful thinking? Guess that depends on other players situations, if Andone is fit or if Tau/Connolly are heading for the exit.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Great news. When you see how much a new, unproven at Premier League level, striker would cost then Danny comes at great value to us. Let’s get him really fit and raring to go during pre season.
Also a bit surprised around only one year but I expect there is some financial advantage to him. Maybe another signing on fee?
Anyway, this is great news. Now we can spend some decent money on a LWB, and one less quality player available for Palace in them having to replace their huge outflow of players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Makes sense if Andone leaves, and any others do, but if they don't I think our attacking line up will remain as it was last season.

Again I'm struck by Mr Bloom's stated aim for the season.

He, of all people, just doesn't say 'top 10' without backing it up.

He's not saying that & also saying:-

'But do that with the same predominantly failing players as last season'.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Good news - class player on his day . No fee and a one year deal perfect . Imagine that deal may get extended halfway through next season if he plays well ,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here