Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A household name, reaching the end of his career, hits form playing for a club who struggle to score.
We have certainly made an offer, I would imagine any decent agent would be negotiating furiously for the best possible deal.

One of those where both parties want it to work, but neither are going to be mugged off.
As likely to be about length of contract as much as anything.
Could take a while.

This, although the notion of a "decent" agent is amusing (I know, that's not what you meant!) - if there's a delay it will more likely than not be caused my his agent trying to get one last payday from representing his client!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
According to my mate Dirty Barry, Welbz wants a three year deal and we're only willing to offer 2 and we are some way apart on how much basic pay and that related to appearances.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
According to my mate Dirty Barry, Welbz wants a three year deal and we're only willing to offer 2 and we are some way apart on how much basic pay and that related to appearances.

Hopefully we can find a solution somewhere between these two positions. Eg a signing on fee and a two year deal with a compromise on basic pay and appearance related.
However, I expect we are also looking at other options, as will Danny's agent.
Danny did well for us last season but there are other strikers out there that could be a value option where a reasonable transfer fee and less wages will be a decent alternative. I'm sure we are keen to make this happen, but we aren't desperate.
What I would hope is that if we are close to something which is acceptable to Danny, that the goodwill from him playing regularly last season will mean that we win the battle against other interested parties.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If true, Welbs asking for 3 years is a bit cheeky; his injury record suggests that cannot be justified for ANY club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hopefully we can find a solution somewhere between these two positions. Eg a signing on fee and a two year deal with a compromise on basic pay and appearance related.
However, I expect we are also looking at other options, as will Danny's agent.
Danny did well for us last season but there are other strikers out there that could be a value option where a reasonable transfer fee and less wages will be a decent alternative. I'm sure we are keen to make this happen, but we aren't desperate.
What I would hope is that if we are close to something which is acceptable to Danny, that the goodwill from him playing regularly last season will mean that we win the battle against other interested parties.

Exactly, which is why I suspect the negotiations to take a long time.
Both parties will think they have the upper hand and won't be pushed into a bad deal, whilst acknowledging a contract extension is appealing.

I wouldn't be surprised if his starting position were to be 3 years @ £110k pw.
If any other team want to offer him that, he will be gone.
But I would rather my club was looking at other options if they have that kind of dough to spend.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If true, Welbs asking for 3 years is a bit cheeky; his injury record suggests that cannot be justified for ANY club.

If true ? ???

This info is from Dirty Barry that Crodo knows from the pub.

Do you think it is true ?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If true ? ???

This info is from Dirty Barry that Crodo knows from the pub.

Do you think it is true ?

I could believe an Agent might try to take the p1ss yes!?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I could believe an Agent might try to take the p1ss yes!?

Yes, but there is no evidence other than Dirty Barry from the pub.

It might as well have been overheard in the bus queue at the Amex.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Always wonder why it takes so long, surely it is a best a ten minute conversation.
You both go into a meeting with your requirements and boundaries.

You offer, they so no, you counter, back and forth for five minutes and bingo deal or no deal.
All this protraction is ultimately bollox in 95% of every negotiation, and it only takes so long because the agent has to justify his or her fee.

It should be like buying a car . . .advertised 14500, I have 12k . . . seller can move but not that much . . . meet half way ? deal done. 5 minute job.

agents are generally the poison in the chain.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is how agents make their money isn’t it.

I have no idea of the finances behind it, but as a player, a human being and a good pro to have around our club I would have no qualms offering Welbeck a 2 year deal.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Yes, but there is no evidence other than Dirty Barry from the pub.

It might as well have been overheard in the bus queue at the Amex.

To be fair it was Dirty Barry who broke it to me last summer that we were one of four or five clubs interested in Welbz after Watford were relegated.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I love that it is now an accepted "fact" he is after £110k and a 3 year deal.

I don't think any club would give him a three year contract & £110k / year.
I would think a 2 year deal max and a pay per play type deal would be the offer from Brighton. Nowwhere near £110k from us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here