Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
With so many players out of contract I can see Palace being a team interested in Welbeck although they did just secure Benteke down to a two year £100k pw deal.
I’m sure that Palace’s main focus is trying to get their new manager in though so he can endorse the player acquisitions. I think the job will be unappealing enough without saying ‘ oh, and by the way we’ve already assembled your squad’.

Agreed. They might decide to tie down some of their better, out of contract players but can’t see them signing new players until they appoint their new manager.
That tweet has to be bollocks.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Would be disappointed, but not gutted.

He's good, but not THAT good.

If they got him, I'd hope they'd tie him down to a stupidly long and high paid contract which they're prone to doing.

I'd personally not rather have him at all, than commit to an expensive and long term contract.

Another one year deal would be ideal for me.

Something tells me we won't see him play for us again. We're too financially sensible. Which isn't a bad thing.

With all due respect and it is MY OPINION...but what you put above is pure bollocks!

Thank you

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
We already need anew striker. Letting welbeck go would give us yet another position to address. Let's make it easier for ourselves and get him to sign a new deal, eh?

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
That’s a bull shit account ffs why quote it back when I was vulture and was a **** I put that Brighton were trying to sign Edna der copper a Dutch striker and this account had it as an exclusive

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With so many players out of contract I can see Palace being a team interested in Welbeck although they did just secure Benteke down to a two year £100k pw deal.
I’m sure that Palace’s main focus is trying to get their new manager in though so he can endorse the player acquisitions. I think the job will be unappealing enough without saying ‘ oh, and by the way we’ve already assembled your squad’.
"We've already assembled the squad" - and now we want to appoint a Head Coach, not a manager. Quite feasible (wouldn't be my choice, but it kind of worked OK for Watford - and on the continent I believe the role of Head Coach rather than manager isn't unusual).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That’s a bull shit account ffs why quote it back when I was vulture and was a **** I put that Brighton were trying to sign Edna der copper a Dutch striker and this account had it as an exclusive

Err..sorry ?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
You used to be Vulture? Does he know?:ohmy:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If it’s true, and that’s a big IF, allowing talks with Palace to be publicised is a bit against the grain from Welbeck’s perspective. We took a chance, got him out of a hole, gave him PL football and he’s been able to resurrect his career on the back of it. If he doesn’t want to sign for is after all that, Palace deserve him - it won’t help his career one iota signing for them. They have a habit of converting reasonable strikers into wasters.
If he wants £110k a week, I’m sure there are better strikers out there to choose from.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The fact he was so involved in the end of season awards makes me think there is a degree of confidence he'll be signing a new deal... but who knows, stranger things have happened

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I imagine he’s already signed. One for the next ‘need a good tweet’ day at admin.

A household name, reaching the end of his career, hits form playing for a club who struggle to score.
We have certainly made an offer, I would imagine any decent agent would be negotiating furiously for the best possible deal.

One of those where both parties want it to work, but neither are going to be mugged off.
As likely to be about length of contract as much as anything.
Could take a while.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
One of those where both parties want it to work, but neither are going to be mugged off.
As likely to be about length of contract as much as anything.
Could take a while.

Always wonder why it takes so long, surely it is a best a ten minute conversation.
You both go into a meeting with your requirements and boundaries.

You offer, they so no, you counter, back and forth for five minutes and bingo deal or no deal.
All this protraction is ultimately bollox in 95% of every negotiation, and it only takes so long because the agent has to justify his or her fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here