Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he’ll go to where he gets the highest wages and it won’t be us. Twilight of his career and he’s proved he still has it. Who could blame him?

Just maybe he likes it here and would prefer to stay even if we can’t and won’t match other offers, I’d be delighted if he signed again but won’t be holding my breath.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Wages won’t be paramount for him, but if he could secure a two year deal somewhere that would probably sway it. As a club we know best how to manage him from a fitness perspective, and hopefully that can be to our advantage. I think he’s worth a 2 year deal, but I don’t sign the cheques

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think he’ll go to where he gets the highest wages and it won’t be us. Twilight of his career and he’s proved he still has it. Who could blame him?

Just maybe he likes it here and would prefer to stay even if we can’t and won’t match other offers, I’d be delighted if he signed again but won’t be holding my breath.

Twilight ? He's only 30! People still wanted 36 year old Glenn Murray playing for us

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'd happily see him sign even on a two year deal. He brings quality and skill at a level that many of our younger players would benefit from playing with and training with regularly. Equally he is likely to cost £25m+ to replace so keeping him could be key to our further recruitment

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Why did he sign last season if we can't offer a competitive package ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why did he sign last season if we can't offer a competitive package ?

Sicknote reputation and few better club options because of it? Guesswork but his stock is definitely up because of last season imo. Mid table clubs almost certainly interested now, were they last season?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Last season he missed only 6 games due to injury and played more minutes in a season than he has for 6 years.

It's odd isn't it? They are a couple of truisms about Danny Welbeck, namely: (1) he's really old, and (2) he's always injured.

Neither of which are especially true. :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sicknote reputation and few better club options because of it? Guesswork but his stock is definitely up because of last season imo. Mid table clubs almost certainly interested now, were they last season?

I get the impression Icy you think players only sign for Brighton as a last resort !

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd happily see him sign even on a two year deal. He brings quality and skill at a level that many of our younger players would benefit from playing with and training with regularly. Equally he is likely to cost £25m+ to replace so keeping him could be key to our further recruitment

I can see him being offered one year, would be surprised if it's two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here