Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
As a long term signing then I hope we stay well clear, but if it’s a 6 month or year contract until we then have Andone, Tau, Gyokeres or Zeqiri upto speed then I guess it makes sense.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Danny Welbeck is an interesting option. One the one hand he's talented and if fit and at his best better than either of our current strikers as a player if not an out and out goalscorer IMO. The 'if fit' part is obviously the most important here. Assuming that he is and can pass a medical and is willing to sign a short term deal till say the end of the season I think he could be a useful option. He is different to both Malpay and Connolly and more of a traditional central striker but still offers pace in behind and decent technical ability which Potter likes in his strikers.

He buys us some immediate decent cover and some time to see if Zeqiri and Gyokeres can step up from their respective loan spells. I don't see him as a starter for straightaway but as a plan B and for that he does have more merit than our current options. I assume we either don't have or are unwilling to spend the money on the other options out there available currently. This could be a useful low risk stopgap...
The Swiss lad isn’t on loan :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Swiss lad will score more goals this season than Aaron Connolly will.

I hope so, 3 players in double figures gets us close to top 10.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
I think you may be right also, u21 level is the only level you can really compare them on Andi has 11 in 11 and Connolly 1 in 11... I think we could see Andi a lot more regularly than we think this season, if we don't pick up someone in the next few days he will surely get opportunities.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think that Zeqiri is THE striker, much like Pascal Gross was THE number 10 when we first got promoted. People assumed it would be Gross plus one other for that position because we weren't going to play 2 up front in the Premier League under Hughton (and Baldock wasn't good enough to play, let alone as a number 10). But in the end, Gross was THE signing for that position.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The Swiss lad will score more goals this season than Aaron Connolly will.

And will that mean he’s given more to the team in our book and has had a better season?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
And will that mean he’s given more to the team in our book and has had a better season?

Not necessarily, I don't mean to belittle Connolly's overall contribution to the team but I do think that he's goal shy and short on a cutting edge in the final third. I think his main asset to the team at the moment is his work rate. That isn't a criticism, as it wasn't of Mackail-Smith either and Connolly has a lot of time on his side. But there are some early warning signs for me and he needs to find a way to be more productive in the final third. He's a good finisher, but we need him to get more shots off.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Now 8/11 with Skybet. The fact that Connolly and Ali J are unavailable for Palace emphasises now desperately short we are.

I don’t care how good a coach Potter is or Bloom is as an owner as none of those capabilities can prevent our only fit striker breaking a leg against Palace.

If we are left relying on an untried Swiss U21 we will be genuine relegation candidates.

Welbeck is a highly experienced additional option how I would take in a heartbeat.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Now 8/11 with Skybet. The fact that Connolly and Ali J are unavailable for Palace emphasises now desperately short we are.

I don’t care how good a coach Potter is or Bloom is as an owner as none of those capabilities can prevent our only fit striker breaking a leg against Palace.

If we are left relying on an untried Swiss U21 we will be genuine relegation candidates.

Welbeck is a highly experienced additional option how I would take in a heartbeat.

I think we will sign the back-up Striker we need tomorrow.

We’ve seemingly got a choice of 4.

King
Ayew
Deeney
Welbeck

I think we have to get someone in on a free transfer for a 1 or 2 year deal. The bookies clearly think so too.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think we will sign the back-up Striker we need tomorrow.

We’ve seemingly got a choice of 4.

King
Ayew
Deeney
Welbeck

I think we have to get someone in on a free transfer for a 1 or 2 year deal. The bookies clearly think so too.

Deeney is just not an option. I would genuinely rather stick Dunk up front.

Happily take any of the other three, they would all be good additions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here