Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Danny will tune up and sharpen up as long as we can keep him injury free. Post game recovery will be crucial like today.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thing is.. once you reach PL level, you are better than about 95% of all the national teams out there. No reason to be starstruck by these things, though I understand why as I imagine there is some "holy shit" factor to this for you long-time fans. While I agree Welbeck is good enough for Brighton, making 40+ caps for England doesnt automatically make players good enough. I.e. Joe Hart got 75 caps and I would have nightmares if he was signed.

It's all about context. Hart wasn't a bad player for his caps, something happened to his confidence, belief, whatever. Same can happen to all footballers. I've just mentioned Ollie McBurnie on another thread, who at Swansea would have been delighted to see him starting up top in 2018/19 and been putting their betting slips in for a 20+ goals that season? No one. Of course not.

We could argue the same about Murray, our own bloody manager at the time thought he was League One at best. Then at 33 who thought he'd end up getting 25 PL goals in 2 seasons, he couldn't hold down a place at Palace or Bournemouth in the PL before that.

And it's all about chemistry. Welbeck has international caps and goals because he has something. Perhaps he hasn't found the right chemistry in the club teams he's been at, but selective stats doesn't prove a player isn't any good either.

Got positive hopes for Welbeck. Just his body language, his enthusiasm, his communication around the pitch. I don't see why people can't be optimistic he's going to have a big impact.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
....And for £50m you might find that answer.

As for Welbeck, his international record if nothing else means he doesn’t deserve to be patronised by a Brighton fan. We are lucky to have him.

I have also said whilst he wears our shirt I will back him. But I’m not super enamoured with him as the answer to us finishing games off.

Has been largely absent/ineffective for the last few years in the PL. and he is lucky to have us I would say as well. We are not West Brom, we’ve been in this league a while now. He’s a decent squad player. But If we want to progress we need to do better with recruitment.

As for last night. I don’t really see what the fuss was about, he worked hard, huffed and puffed and missed 2 decent chances.

Let’s revisit this conversation at the end of the season. More than happy to be proved wrong.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
As for last night. I don’t really see what the fuss (about Welbeck) was about, he worked hard, huffed and puffed and missed 2 decent chances.

Let’s revisit this conversation at the end of the season. More than happy to be proved wrong.

Agree with your posts generally but think this is harsh:

1. Fuss? I didn't notice one unless that means a good deal of praise for his performance as one of our best players on his debut for us.

2. He created what should have been a goal for Lamptey in the very first minute. Lamptey has so much credit in the bank with us that he (rightly imo) escapes criticism for that, but don't let's let Welbeck escape praise, too. His runs and play in general together with the work of Lamptey and Lallana will bring goals if those three continue like that, and there's no reason to think that they won't with the consistency they are showing.

3. One of his 'misses' was a fine save by the goalkeeper.

Whilst the Burnley match was so frustrating, it brought about a damn sight more reasons for optimism than WBA with Welbeck's performance definitely one.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yeah, he looked good. He's a decent finisher so reckon he's gonna be a good signing.
He's a poor finisher, stats will tell ya that. However he's still a decent signing and levels above our other strikers.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Lallana & welbeck looked like to of the best players to have worn the shirt in the last few 30 years

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He's a poor finisher, stats will tell ya that. However he's still a decent signing and levels above our other strikers.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Better than 1 goal in 3 games for England. I'd be happy with that. I've seen a lot worse at Brighton, even in the Amex era.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
One in three would be excellent. Unfortunately Brighton rarely play against Moldova and San Marino.

I realise many of these posts are in jest, but to have a one-in-three record and 42 caps for England, you’ve got to:

1. Be good enough at club level to get a call-up.
2. Perform well enough to get in the team.
3. Score goals when you’re in the team, regardless of the opposition.

The only possible reason I can think of for doubting this signing is Welbeck’s injury record. If you put that to one side and consider his age (29), you’d have to say he’s up there with the ‘biggest’ signings we’ve made in recent times (based on reputation), alongside Lallana and Vicente.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Cracking goal....but also his all round play...including defensive work in our box

100% this. He was like Murray defending corners. Didn’t know he had that in him! Great all round player!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
You'd have to say, that was a 9/10 performance from him. His touch was still a bit rusty on a few occasions but his finish for the first goal and his all round graft including defensive work was superb. Just hope he can get even better with more game time and maintain his fitness. Certainly not a big time charlie!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal]

You'd have to say, that was a 9/10 performance from him. His touch was still a bit rusty on a few occasions but his finish for the first goal and his all round graft including defensive work was superb. Just hope he can get even better with more game time and maintain his fitness. Certainly not a big time charlie!

Had cramp but Potter would still not take him off. He needed his experience and leadership and remembered Lallana leaving the pitch and subsequent capitulation vs West Brom.

Best Striker since..................

WE DON’T MENTION MURRAY ANYMORE!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's all about context. Hart wasn't a bad player for his caps, something happened to his confidence, belief, whatever. Same can happen to all footballers. I've just mentioned Ollie McBurnie on another thread, who at Swansea would have been delighted to see him starting up top in 2018/19 and been putting their betting slips in for a 20+ goals that season? No one. Of course not.

We could argue the same about Murray, our own bloody manager at the time thought he was League One at best. Then at 33 who thought he'd end up getting 25 PL goals in 2 seasons, he couldn't hold down a place at Palace or Bournemouth in the PL before that.

And it's all about chemistry. Welbeck has international caps and goals because he has something. Perhaps he hasn't found the right chemistry in the club teams he's been at, but selective stats doesn't prove a player isn't any good either.

Got positive hopes for Welbeck. Just his body language, his enthusiasm, his communication around the pitch. I don't see why people can't be optimistic he's going to have a big impact.

I’m still feeling it Jerry!! :banana:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He's a clear and obvious step up for us in every department you'd want from a striker at this level. I'd go so far as to say he's our first Premier League quality forward since we came up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here