Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Really enjoyed what I’ve seen so far.
He will turn our good all round play into goals, of that, I’m sure

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think he was alright but the "new player bias" is pretty obvious on NSC. If it was Maupay missing that chance, people would have said he is shit and wanted to bench him. If it was Connolly missing that chance, people would have wanted to ship him on loan to Preston.

As I see it his performance was decent, nothing more.

I would normally agree with most things you say about football Swansman but I think you've under rated Welbeck's performance there. Yes he should have scored but I think can be forgiven due to lack of match sharpness. If it kept happening every week when he's fully fit then yes, criticise.

Overall I think he offers a lot more than our other strikers though. If you were to look at my post history, you'll see I've always been a Maupay fan and stuck up for him when he has been taking stick but there's no doubt he was really poor last night and was for the games before that. I have less of an issue with Maupay's finishing than I do his overall contribution recently, he's just not been using the ball well enough or making good runs off the ball in the last few matches which hasn't helped the other players. At the moment I don't have much faith that he will hold the ball up or make the right decision on passing, shooting or where to run. He looks woefully short of confidence. Hopefully Potter can work on that over the next two weeks.

Welbeck offered a lot more overall to the team last night. Having closely watched our strikers in the Premier League, I feel he is exactly what we have been missing and what we thought we were getting in Locadia for example. A lot of it is in his decision making, like Lallana, I just have faith that he will do the right thing on or off the ball which I don't think you can say about Maupay or Connolly at the moment. Hopefully that will improve in time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would normally agree with most things you say about football Swansman but I think you've under rated Welbeck's performance there. Yes he should have scored but I think can be forgiven due to lack of match sharpness. If it kept happening every week when he's fully fit then yes, criticise.

Overall I think he offers a lot more than our other strikers though. If you were to look at my post history, you'll see I've always been a Maupay fan and stuck up for him when he has been taking stick but there's no doubt he was really poor last night and was for the games before that. I have less of an issue with Maupay's finishing than I do his overall contribution recently, he's just not been using the ball well enough or making good runs off the ball in the last few matches which hasn't helped the other players. At the moment I don't have much faith that he will hold the ball up or make the right decision on passing, shooting or where to run. He looks woefully short of confidence. Hopefully Potter can work on that over the next two weeks.

Welbeck offered a lot more overall to the team last night. Having closely watched our strikers in the Premier League, I feel he is exactly what we have been missing and what we thought we were getting in Locadia for example. A lot of it is in his decision making, like Lallana, I just have faith that he will do the right thing on or off the ball which I don't think you can say about Maupay or Connolly at the moment. Hopefully that will improve in time.

In what way did Welbeck contribute more than Maupay yesterday?

If Welbeck made a lot of clever runs while Maupay didnt, how come Maupay saw significantly more of the ball?

Welbeck passed the ball 13 times yesterday, in 86 minutes, and failed 3 of them. Maupay passed the ball 34 times, and failed 3 of them.

Statistically there is nothing that indicates his alleged brilliance, but statistics only tell half the story, so I'm curious about what specific situations he looked like "exactly what we've been missing"?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Based on his performance yesterday I could tell he has played at the very top level.

Yes it wasn't a top level performance, it was decent, but there is clearly the potential for more IMO.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
In what way did Welbeck contribute more than Maupay yesterday?

If Welbeck made a lot of clever runs while Maupay didnt, how come Maupay saw significantly more of the ball?

Welbeck passed the ball 13 times yesterday, in 86 minutes, and failed 3 of them. Maupay passed the ball 34 times, and failed 3 of them.

Statistically there is nothing that indicates his alleged brilliance, but statistics only tell half the story, so I'm curious about what specific situations he looked like "exactly what we've been missing"?

Now I like a statistic but as you say, they only tell half the story and as they pointed out on the Zonal Marking podcast a few weeks ago, the pass completed stat is actually not a very useful one. You need to look at what they actually did with that pass and the position they passed it in. Welbeck was consistently in more dangerous positions than Maupay last night and used the ball better when he had it.

In what we've been missing I mean that he is a strong, mobile striker who has intelligence and knows where to be on the pitch. Murray had the intelligence and finishing ability but wasn't mobile which did hinder us a lot at times. Locadia, less said the better. I liked Andone but clearly a headcase. Maupay and Connolly are mobile, work hard but both miss chances and lack the on field intelligence of a Murray or Welbeck at the moment. They are young though so I think they will both improve in time.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal]

We have another striker who can’t finish [emoji38]

I like Welbeck, he’s obviously a good pro and squad member. But I just don’t see him being the answer to our problems. He huffed and puffed and missed a few good chances, that’s what I saw last night.

He will of course get my backing 100% whilst he wears our shirt, but I hope recruitment don’t kick back and out their feet up.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I like Welbeck, he’s obviously a good pro and squad member. But I just don’t see him being the answer to our problems. He huffed and puffed and missed a few good chances, that’s what I saw last night.

He will of course get my backing 100% whilst he wears our shirt, but I hope recruitment don’t kick back and out their feet up.

....And for £50m you might find that answer.

As for Welbeck, his international record if nothing else means he doesn’t deserve to be patronised by a Brighton fan. We are lucky to have him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He’s looking a touch of class already. On the selection thread people were stating he couldn’t possibly start given how little football he’s had. Yet here he is, 80 odd mins and getting a good few chances:

If he gets into a run of form and fitness, can see him being exactly the answer to scoring some goals.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
....And for £50m you might find that answer.

As for Welbeck, his international record if nothing else means he doesn’t deserve to be patronised by a Brighton fan. We are lucky to have him.

While I agree there is no reason for him to be patronised by anyone I struggle to see how he is this brilliant super player some seem to believe he is. Maupster scored ten goals his first season in the PL: Welbeck never once in his career scored double figures in a league season. I realise that injuries and competition plays a part in this, but fact remains.

Also international record means very little. I've heard Pröpper is some kind of godlike AMC because he scored in that position against Belarus a lot of years ago. And Welbeck indeed scored a lot of goals for England, but only once against a team (Belgium in 2012) that could compete with a PL team.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He looked quality. With a few more weeks training and some more match minutes goals are coming from him. If he stays fit he could turn team performances into points for us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought he looked a clear upgrade on what we have. Great he was able to play almost the whole game already too - and no real sign if him flagging towards the end. Little bit of time to gel with his teammates and get the formation working with him in it and he’ll get several goals I reckon.

A fit and firing Welbeck and Lallana playing for us ? Not sure what some are expecting but it’s incredible.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
While I agree there is no reason for him to be patronised by anyone I struggle to see how he is this brilliant super player some seem to believe he is. Maupster scored ten goals his first season in the PL: Welbeck never once in his career scored double figures in a league season. I realise that injuries and competition plays a part in this, but fact remains.

Also international record means very little. I've heard Pröpper is some kind of godlike AMC because he scored in that position against Belarus a lot of years ago. And Welbeck indeed scored a lot of goals for England, but only once against a team (Belgium in 2012) that could compete with a PL team.

Danny Ings has only scored more than 11 goals in a season twice; once in the Championship and last season. So it is with strikers. I assume you’d have snubbed Callum Wilson based on the ‘facts’ you choose to judge him by.

I prefer to judge it on what I see, not what his Wikipedia page tells me. He looks like he could be a quality addition to our forward options. I have no idea what the negativity addiction is at the moment, almost like a vortex where everything is doom and gloom.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thought he looked a clear upgrade on what we have. Great he was able to play almost the whole game already too - and no real sign if him flagging towards the end. Little bit of time to gel with his teammates and get the formation working with him in it and he’ll get several goals I reckon.

A fit and firing Welbeck and Lallana playing for us ? Not sure what some are expecting but it’s incredible.

Going to be exciting if they both stay fit!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Danny Ings has only scored more than 11 goals in a season twice; once in the Championship and last season. So it is with strikers. I assume you’d have snubbed Callum Wilson based on the ‘facts’ you choose to judge him by.

I prefer to judge it on what I see, not what his Wikipedia page tells me. He looks like he could be a quality addition to our forward options. I have no idea what the negativity addiction is at the moment, almost like a vortex where everything is doom and gloom.

Yes I would have snubbed Callum Wilson for a bunch of reasons, the main one being "not good enough".

As for negativity, I'm not the man. This is what I wrote in the player rating thread yesterday:

"Welbeck 6 - decent performance, could see his experience, and once he gets to know his team mates a bit better he will be very useful."

I think a few people give him too much credit though. If Maupay or Connolly played exactly like Welbeck did yesterday, I definitely dont think they would have got the same level of praise.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

The stats show he’s not a prolific scorer, no argument there.
But last night he showed his class within a minute of the kick off. He looked dangerous in a way that Albion strikers generally don’t. Let’s see what happens. We all want the same thing.
Also, I take your point re Propper (although they’ve upgraded recently) but stand by this - 29-year-olds who have four dozen England caps should be considered good enough for Brighton, anytime in this millennium and the next.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I would have snubbed Callum Wilson for a bunch of reasons, the main one being "not good enough".

As for negativity, I'm not the man. This is what I wrote in the player rating thread yesterday:

"Welbeck 6 - decent performance, could see his experience, and once he gets to know his team mates a bit better he will be very useful."

I think a few people give him too much credit though. If Maupay or Connolly played exactly like Welbeck did yesterday, I definitely dont think they would have got the same level of praise.

...they would if it had been their first start I reckon.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The stats show he’s not a prolific scorer, no argument there.
But last night he showed his class within a minute of the kick off. He looked dangerous in a way that Albion strikers generally don’t. Let’s see what happens. We all want the same thing.
Also, I take your point re Propper (although they’ve upgraded recently) but stand by this - 29-year-olds who have four dozen England caps should be considered good enough for Brighton, anytime in this millennium and the next.

Thing is.. once you reach PL level, you are better than about 95% of all the national teams out there. No reason to be starstruck by these things, though I understand why as I imagine there is some "holy shit" factor to this for you long-time fans. While I agree Welbeck is good enough for Brighton, making 40+ caps for England doesnt automatically make players good enough. I.e. Joe Hart got 75 caps and I would have nightmares if he was signed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here