Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck and Andy Carroll Both Available on a Free

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Why not? What's to lose? If they don't play, they cost us nothing, zero, zilch, nowt - and if they do manage to play the odd game, they are very good players; let's face it, if they'd been able to stay fit, either of them could have been our 'Murray replacement', except they'd probably be out of our league.

They would take up one of our 25 squad at the expense of another player. They would waste physio and other medical resources. Their medical insurance alone would cost an arm and a leg. There would certainly be other costs attached to Pay as You play and I can't envisage them not wanting a million or two signing on fee plus agents fees even to just hang around the place trying to get fit. Plus their mid game injuries, if they got on the pitch, would force substitutions and could even take us down to 10 men if three subs already made.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Fit both Andy Carroll and Welbeck would get in our team. Trouble is neither one of them has any luck with injuries and both of them have salary expectations in line with their ability. If that changed my view of them coming to the Albion would to. If we are going to pay any player £100k a week, they need to positively affect the team for at least 30 games a season and neither of these two are likely to do that unfortunately.

I always find it odd that people are so nasty about good injury prone players. Why would any player not want to play if they could? Constantly being in the treatment room must be soul destroying not relaxation.

If my boss said to me "I will pay you what I pay you but you don't need to do any work. You can just lay on a table whilst listening to soothing music and have yourself a lovely massage", I think I'd be up for it! :clap:

But yeah, must be frustrating for the players and the clubs dishing out their wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here