Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck and Andy Carroll Both Available on a Free

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We might as well try and sign Christian Benteke while we are at it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They’re the past not the future. The player we need is unlikely to be known by 90% Albion fans in all probability.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Will they play for free? Only way I'd want to see them at our club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m talking about football in 2019 where yes, it is a complete myth. No football agent would agree a pay as you play deal for their client.

George Best at Hibs. It actually happened, so it isn't a myth. Unusual, even unlikely, but it can happen.

It's probably likely to happen more now, or in the future anyway, than then. Multi millionaire footballers, financially secure (with knobs on) for life, with no chance of getting a contract because of their injuries, might just want to kick a football in earnest a few times more before they hang up their boots and never play again. The thought of never playing again is pretty daunting; they've played football all their lives - it's been their life, their love, their everything, but it's about to be taken away from them, for good, forever, no coming back - just a life without playing football; they don't need the money. What would you do?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
George Best at Hibs. It actually happened, so it isn't a myth. Unusual, even unlikely, but it can happen.

It's probably likely to happen more now, or in the future anyway, than then. Multi millionaire footballers, financially secure (with knobs on) for life, with no chance of getting a contract because of their injuries, might just want to kick a football in earnest a few times more before they hang up their boots and never play again. The thought of never playing again is pretty daunting; they've played football all their lives - it's been their life, their love, their everything, but it's about to be taken away from them, for good, forever, no coming back - just a life without playing football; they don't need the money. What would you do?

I refer you to Paul Barber’s comments- it will never happen in modern day football. If a footballer is a multimillionaire they will have a reputation in the game and would want remuneration for their services on a regular basis. If they are injured frequently they would not want to put their health at risk further by playing professional football, no matter how much they love the game.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
John Terry at Chelsea..... but that was with a "basic" salary of £150,000 per week.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...ew-one-year-Chelsea-pay-as-you-play-deal.html

Could you really class that as a pay as you play deal?! That’s what I mean, no footballer or football agent in their right mind would agree to a deal stipulating that you only get paid when you you play with the current economic state of the game.

A deal like that is about as close as you’d get I’d imagine; with a basic salary and large inducements/bonuses that would raise the player’s wage substantially on an appearance basis.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'd rather we splash the cash and go for bench-warmer Olivier Giroud.

Would second that in terms of the player, but not about splashing the cash, necessarily, unless it was part of a revised pay structure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here