Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Murphy

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Surely most on here think Nathan is number 2.

It seems fairly clear from the club that Nathan is head coach, and that Sami will be bringing in at some point his own number 2, and that he is fairly relaxed about it and doesn't want to rush.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't what if any substance there is to this speculation but we could do a lot worse. Murphy is one of the better emerging pundits on TV and radio, always has an insightful viewpoint and is more articulate than many of his peers. I don't think he would take any crap from anyone and I suspect he would demand very high standards from those around him. He might also be a calm and positive sounding board for Hyypia. This gives me some assurance that Murphy might make a decent assistant manager. However I also suspect he is also creating quite a nice niche in his media role and might not want to discard this right now.

Murphy has sufficient of a playing pedigree and bearing to be a very credible assistant manager. Who knows he might just have managerial aspirations of his own and views this as a golden opportunity to gain experience alongside a former Liverpool veteran. Could be an impressive partnership.

It does concern me that meeting both Hyypia and Murphy's wage expectations might take too much out of our budget. However if they do the business then no problem.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm in a fantasy baseball league with BBC commentator Simon Brotherton, so I asked him to put these rumours to Danny Murphy after the Spain game. Sadly, the reply was not especially promising.

Apparently DM doesn't live too far away and does speak to Sami Hyypia fairly regularly, but assisting him at BHA hasn't come up, and he didn't show any obvious interest when Simon put this to him. But perhaps the idea is now in his mind and he might start pestering his old mate.

Simon, btw, is one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet. He lives in Horsham and, although a Villa fan, has a soft spot for the Albion so I'm sure he gave Murphy a glowing recommendation about our prospects.

Last edited:

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
I'm in a fantasy baseball league with BBC commentator Simon Brotherton, so I asked him to put these rumours to Danny Murphy after the Spain game. Sadly, the reply was not especially promising.

Apparently DM doesn't live too far away and does speak to Sami Hyypia fairly regularly, but assisting him at BHA hasn't come up, and he didn't show any obvious interest when Simon put this to him. But perhaps the idea is now in his mind and he might start pestering his old mate.

Simon, btw, is one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet. He lives in Horsham and, although a Villa fan, has a soft spot for the Albion so I'm sure he gave Murphy a glowing recommendation about our prospects.

Source? Oh ...

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

I hope this is true, if so it's brilliant. After a short conversation with my brother on Tuesday night while watching the World Cup he decides to start a thread on NSC about Danny Murphy potentially being our new assistant manager. Some 24 hours later the man himself is asked the question in Brazil.

NSC at its best. I've also sent a tweet to Gary Lineker and asked him to speak to Danny.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Dream team

e59841be8bfcdc284f04b895da4de129.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's not often I get accused of being far too subtle. I'll take the accusation.

It's not an accusation. It's an acknowledgement of comic genius - well, maybe that's overstating it a bit, but......... credit, because it was funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here