Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know nothing about the operation of release clauses, so I have a question.

How do release clauses work with regard to wages? If someone is on, say, £30k a week and has a release clause of £20m in his contract; does the buying club have to match his salary (or increase it) or can they pay the release clause and pay him £20k a week.

The salary is a separate negotiation between player and buying club as no contract exists between them. The player has to want to be released from their contract, it's not a situation where a buying club can forceably have them released by offering the release clause amount. The clause is in favour of the player and so is exercised by the player to be released by the club they are contracted to. A player would be free to be released onto a lower salary contract if that was the move they wanted. Could be all sorts of factors, length of contract etc.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I have zero knowledge of this, but would expect the release clause just means that if the pre-agreed price is met and the player has agreed their wage from the new club (and signing on bonus, suitcase of cash for agent, free Ford Sierra branded in local dealership's colours etc etc), the player can terminate their contract and the club can't stand in their way. There is nothing in that which says the player has to leave if the price is met, just that the player has that option if the player agrees the salary.

Yeah there are 2 parts to transfer negotiations:

1. Between the 2 clubs
  2. Between the buying club and the player

The release clause comes under the part between the 2 clubs. The player still has to agree to the new clubs wages/terms etc.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Strangely, given that BDB's been brilliant playing at centre half in Dunk's absence, and got a lot of stick when playing out wide, its actually the cover he offers for Cucurella and March that I'd worry about losing.

Next season we'll have Cochrane back so we'd only have 16 games to worry about. Can Roberts play there? I believe he's left-footed.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Smug Eddie and the woman from Madam Tussauds probably making bids for any player that has a good rating on Fantasy Football current form

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Naylor reporting - BID REJECTED

Almost certainly Bloom angling for more money. I reckon he will go (if the price is right).

Newcastle STH with his dad (a die-hard, apparently), former academy player and maybe the last chance for a big, big payday as heads into his 30s - maybe a four-year contract and on significantly more than he's currently getting.

Last edited:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Do we believe this Dan Burn to Newcastle stuff? He's been very good for us recently and probably does improve them, I just thought with all their billions they'd be going for more glamourous signings, more like the Trippier signing.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It would make sense for BDB to go there as it will be his last big payday which will set him up for life! Also to play for his hometown club as well (despite who the owners are) will also be appealing to him. Although their bid has been rejected I wouldn't be surprised to see this go through eventually.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The salary is a separate negotiation between player and buying club as no contract exists between them. The player has to want to be released from their contract, it's not a situation where a buying club can forceably have them released by offering the release clause amount. The clause is in favour of the player and so is exercised by the player to be released by the club they are contracted to. A player would be free to be released onto a lower salary contract if that was the move they wanted. Could be all sorts of factors, length of contract etc.

Yeah there are 2 parts to transfer negotiations:

1. Between the 2 clubs
  2. Between the buying club and the player

The release clause comes under the part between the 2 clubs. The player still has to agree to the new clubs wages/terms etc.

Cheers. That explains all. So Wood didn't have to go to Newcastle even though they met the release fee. And if we bid for Nunez and met the relevant amount (speaking hypothetically), he still wouldn't have to come to us?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
9CEB9325-84F5-4975-8966-D7D25EA17E37_4_5005_c.jpeg

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I really don't want to see BDB go to that lot. However, it would be mildly amusing seeing two of NUFC's first three signings being Chris Wood and Dan Burn. Not what the Geordie punters would have imagined when the Saudi's took over.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Cheers. That explains all. So Wood didn't have to go to Newcastle even though they met the release fee. And if we bid for Nunez and met the relevant amount (speaking hypothetically), he still wouldn't have to come to us?

Yes, I suppose the opposite outcome would be like a form of slavery with players having to go to clubs or countries they don't want to go to

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I really don't want to see BDB go to that lot. However, it would be mildly amusing seeing two of NUFC's first three signings being Chris Wood and Dan Burn. Not what the Geordie punters would have imagined when the Saudi's took over.

But effective, low maintenance, unglamorous players are exactly what they need ... whether their fans see it or not.

I'd be gutted if Burn went to them.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Wonder what the bid is. They are desperate so should be £20-25m. Real value is around £10m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Yes and yes. Chris Wood obviously had a lot of money dangled in front of him and thoughts of a cushy retirement were in his mind.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I would imagine BDB would rather stay here with another contract, which on current form would be deserved.
If he went to Saudi Utd, he would be a stop gap to keep them up this season, then next season they will spend loads to get big stars on obscene wages and he would be a back up player to the squad.
Stay put Dan, you know it makes sense.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Exactly... there are laws and stuff. If some company in rural Kazakhstan offers the company you work for £500 to recruit you and your company says yes, it doesnt mean you have to move to rural Kazakhstan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here