Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
:lol:

Stephens to Burnley comes to mind also

Different circumstances I guess.

We'd been so close and Bloom wanted to keep the same squad together for another tilt at promotion and DS was quite a niche DM player without a plethora of equally good alternative options in his position. Who knows, maybe Bloom also considered the Burnley offer to low??

Right now, we're safe and have a lot of good defensive options.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whisper it quietly, but I think in this instance he might have.

If it was £13M, plus £5M if they stay up, and another couple of million when he's played X number of games for them that would be different, but I haven't seen a whisper of anything like that, anywhere. OK, I know the club are not very forthcoming when it comes to revealling the details of a transfer fee, but usually a pretty fair idea of what it entails emerges. Heard no whispers aboout this though..

Was Burns contract not up this summer though?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just read a good piece on the BDB transfer in the Athletic. Crux of it was that they saw signing a fan, essentially, who also happens to be a quality left sided centre back as an absolute no brainer for them.

I've got obvious misgivings about the regime and find it baffling that the Geordies prefer being a tool for sports-washing rather than having a fat cockney in the boardroom but I'm genuinely so pleased for Burn. Playing for your club at the top level is a dream we've all had and he's living it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have just told my Newcastle supporting mate who was raving about BDB’s performance yesterday that they had done well to get our third best central defender for such a good price :smile:

I won’t complain about the price though, the hierarchy here have proved they know what they’re doing

No chance.

Dunk, Webster and Veltman are all comfortably better.

Duffy is better in SOME aspects too, but has his own limitations.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Yes, really. A lot more than £13m for a club so desperate to buy.

Oh dear. Calum Chambers has been loaned regularly, was injury prone at Arsenal and certainly wasn't receiving rave reviews and plaudits before moving to Villa, but you carry on.
Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

He's been loaned twice - both times to Premier League teams. BDB has not always received rave reviews - until recently there was a significant section of the Brighton supporters who would have offered to drive him to Newcastle.

The point is that £13m is not what you would pay for a "mid-range championship defender". £13m is pretty good money for a utility player with only 18 months left on his contract who wants to leave.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
See that Trippier will be out for a number of weeks. Don't like to hear of any player being injured, but thats going to make a big difference to them!

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
The Newcastle fan forums are awash with love for BDB; he's all set to become a Tyneside legend. I like one comment I saw which was "if Brighton are willing to sell BDB to us how good must their other defenders be?"

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The Newcastle fan forums are awash with love for BDB; he's all set to become a Tyneside legend. I like one comment I saw which was "if Brighton are willing to sell BDB to us how good must their other defenders be?"

At least that shows some rational thinking.

From the Outside looking in Arsenal and Newcastle must think we must have a weaker team after selling White and Burn.

Both teams have signed players who although were very good in our first 11 are not the best defenders at the club and we are still left in a fantastic position with £63Million in the bank. If we were to lose Webster in the summer then things might be a little different next August.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
See that Trippier will be out for a number of weeks. Don't like to hear of any player being injured, but thats going to make a big difference to them!

Is that talismanic marquee signing, team captain, Man Of The Match, two goals in two games, La Liga winning defender Kieran Trippier...

...who cost Newcastle about the same as Dan Burn?

(and yes he's older, but only about 18 months)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At least that shows some rational thinking.

From the Outside looking in Arsenal and Newcastle must think we must have a weaker team after selling White and Burn.

Both teams have signed players who although were very good in our first 11 are not the best defenders at the club and we are still left in a fantastic position with £63Million in the bank. If we were to lose Webster in the summer then things might be a little different next August.

The very same Adam Webster that has recently extended his contract until 2026? If he goes in the summer, because of that contract extension, it'll be for a very large sum, probably in excess of the £50m we got for White. I'd doubt we'd sell him until we'd bought a replacement either.
We've been in a position of strength in terms of CBs for a while now, and that's still the case. In terms of our squad, it's up-front that we need to look out, especially with Maupay, Trossard and Mac Allister's contracts up in summer 2023. I wouldn't be remotely surprised to hear at least one of those having their contract extended in the next few months and, if that's the case, those enhanced contracts will be in part paid by the money we have got from the sale of Burn.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Neither you, nor I, know whether that's the case and, in such instances, it's better to reserve judgment.

We do know it's the case that we haven't heard a whisper. In fact it's a fact - unless of course you've heard a whisper which the rest of us haven't! .......No, I thought not.

It is also a fact that a hefty staying up bonus would make us all happy.

Last edited:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Looked a bad decision to sell at the time and looks even worse now. Newcastle keeping clean sheets for fun, and we’re playing Cucurella out of position and March at LWB who isn’t good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here