[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree in general but this is contextual depending on the club and the situation. Firstly, now the “richest club in the world”, resale value is a term Newcastle need no longer worry about, to a degree.

Also, the sheer value of staying in the league alone should have inflated this move above £20m for a proven PL CB at the shy age of 29.

I’m not too precious about it though. Just bemused the club would have done this deal for such a derisory fee given the time and place Newcastle are in.

They key determinant is length of contract…….hence the ‘low’ fee. Bear in mind the fee we got is almost entirely profit, too. His cost would have been largely amortised by now.

Anyone pissing their pants at losing Dan for £13m might have a bit of a shock coming when Biss goes in the summer with only a year left on his deal.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Maybe NUFC wouldn’t go any higher and given that BDB was keen on the move and his contract was running down maybe it was the best we could get? Potter may also want to bring one or two of the on loan central defenders into the squad next season and didn’t want to offer him a new contract. All conjecture but Albion are no longer a club that have to sell so maybe there was more to this move than meets the eye?

Should we demand an NSC rep or 10 be appointed to the recruitment and strategy division of the club. From some of the comments on this thread it seems they need some better advice :wink:

Finally, some common sense.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's not even that wordie.

Bought for £4m.
Got many millions worth of game time.
Sold for £13m, in the last realistic transfer window.

If only all transfers could be like that.

Similar to Groß only that he leaves on a free to Werder in the summer. That £13m buys us 2 or 3 teenage punts like Kozlowski or Sima.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
10m, 15m, 20m, 30m, it's all monopoly money these days and has little relevance to those of us in the stands.

When Veltman costs less than 1m and Locadia in excess of 15m its all a lottery anyway. When Markus Suttner cost more than Dan Burn in the first place. When we buy players for more than 2m and they barely set foot in the door - Ales Mateju, Anders Dreyer, Jan Mlakar anyone? I bet most of us wouldn't name our record signing correctly with your first guess, i know i didn't.

Main point is that we can't own all the players, we can't sign this many young talents and not expect to sell some of them on. Some we will miss or be sad to see go. Dan Burn wanted to go, he wasn't a guaranteed first choice (amazing really that he had that status here and Newcastle think he's the second coming, just shows the gulf that developed between our sides since our promotion thanks to our club management), he has served us well and we served him well, we will miss having him around and wish him well.

Final thought - a parting of the ways like this is maybe the best thing to happen. Compare the way we are treating BDB compared to the reaction Pascal Gross is starting to get, or the way we think about Liam Bridcutt. Those two have each been our biggest stars on the pitch at different times. But we denied Bridcutt his dream move for six months, he became unhappy and is now considered a pariah. Meanwhile Gross is undergoing the long goodbye where there are louder and louder calls to send him off to the knackers yard, and I remember it being quite uncomfortable at Leicester hearing all the negative comments thrown at him. Burn gets to leave at the top of his game with nary a bad word said.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Why is it so hard for people to admit the club has dropped a large one on this move?

£13M wouldn't buy you a mid range Championship defender let alone a seasoned professional with recent Premier league pedigree who was actually getting rave reviews.

I pity anyone who thinks this was a good deal for Brighton.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Really? How much would you pay for a current Premier League defender, 27 years old, capped by England, who can play wing back or centre back? Villa paid £2 million for Calum Chambers...

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Really? How much would you pay for a current Premier League defender, 27 years old, capped by England, who can play wing back or centre back? Villa paid £2 million for Calum Chambers...
Yes, really. A lot more than £13m for a club so desperate to buy.

Oh dear. Calum Chambers has been loaned regularly, was injury prone at Arsenal and certainly wasn't receiving rave reviews and plaudits before moving to Villa, but you carry on.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Oh, is that what it meant? A great big thank you to you from all those of us who were completely baffled...............

:lolol: To be honest I haven't a clue and was just being sarcastic. What "liberal elite" have to do with NSC or Dan Burn is anyone's guess. :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe NUFC wouldn’t go any higher and given that BDB was keen on the move and his contract was running down maybe it was the best we could get? Potter may also want to bring one or two of the on loan central defenders into the squad next season and didn’t want to offer him a new contract. All conjecture but Albion are no longer a club that have to sell so maybe there was more to this move than meets the eye?

Should we demand an NSC rep or 10 be appointed to the recruitment and strategy division of the club. From some of the comments on this thread it seems they need some better advice :wink:
No, of course not, but there's nothing wrong with coming on here to discuss the merits of the transfer. And if some of us think we sold him too cheaply, it's perfectly valid to express that opinion. Newcastle fans appear to agree too - they are wondering why we sold him so cheaply.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd imagine a large 'staying up' bonus would unite NSC's warring factions.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
13 million was a good deal. If we had refused then Dan burn would have been fuming and people can say “he is a great pro and would not have made a difference” but after missing his dream move this would have been tested. There is also a much bigger picture to this. If we want players to sign new contracts then they have to know that if the dream move comes then we won’t step in their way. Doesn’t bissouma support support United? If we could convince him to sign a new deal but agree that if United to pay 50 million then he can go then he might sign. If we stood in Burn’s way of a dream move then good luck getting people to sign contracts.

There will always be clubs bigger than us with more money and if we keep players against their will then we become less attractive to other players. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
10m, 15m, 20m, 30m, it's all monopoly money these days and has little relevance to those of us in the stands.

When Veltman costs less than 1m and Locadia in excess of 15m its all a lottery anyway. When Markus Suttner cost more than Dan Burn in the first place. When we buy players for more than 2m and they barely set foot in the door - Ales Mateju, Anders Dreyer, Jan Mlakar anyone? I bet most of us wouldn't name our record signing correctly with your first guess, i know i didn't.

Main point is that we can't own all the players, we can't sign this many young talents and not expect to sell some of them on. Some we will miss or be sad to see go. Dan Burn wanted to go, he wasn't a guaranteed first choice (amazing really that he had that status here and Newcastle think he's the second coming, just shows the gulf that developed between our sides since our promotion thanks to our club management), he has served us well and we served him well, we will miss having him around and wish him well.

Final thought - a parting of the ways like this is maybe the best thing to happen. Compare the way we are treating BDB compared to the reaction Pascal Gross is starting to get, or the way we think about Liam Bridcutt. Those two have each been our biggest stars on the pitch at different times. But we denied Bridcutt his dream move for six months, he became unhappy and is now considered a pariah. Meanwhile Gross is undergoing the long goodbye where there are louder and louder calls to send him off to the knackers yard, and I remember it being quite uncomfortable at Leicester hearing all the negative comments thrown at him. Burn gets to leave at the top of his game with nary a bad word said.

Great post.

I think people a focussing too much on a price tag and interpreting it from a single perspective. It's more complex than that and as [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] points out above, transfers are very much an art rather than science.

Yes, from the Arab's point of view they've got a good CB at this level, a great pro and local lad who will bleed for the shirt for a knock down price. But the alternative was to crush the dream of someone who's been a model pro for us and allow him to leave on bad terms for free. The club have said in the past that they won't stand in the way of players who want a move. The bigger picture is that BHAFC under Bloom and Barber have always treated players very fairly, agents and players will know this when deciding whether to sign for us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
13 million was a good deal. If we had refused then Dan burn would have been fuming and people can say “he is a great pro and would not have made a difference” but after missing his dream move this would have been tested. There is also a much bigger picture to this. If we want players to sign new contracts then they have to know that if the dream move comes then we won’t step in their way. Doesn’t bissouma support support United? If we could convince him to sign a new deal but agree that if United to pay 50 million then he can go then he might sign. If we stood in Burn’s way of a dream move then good luck getting people to sign contracts.

There will always be clubs bigger than us with more money and if we keep players against their will then we become less attractive to other players. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.
We denied White his dream move to Leeds, and that turned out alright.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Albion wants to turn young stars into £25m+ players.

In that respect, after serving a purpose and doing a great job, Burn was taking up a place of an up and coming starlet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, of course not, but there's nothing wrong with coming on here to discuss the merits of the transfer. And if some of us think we sold him too cheaply, it's perfectly valid to express that opinion. Newcastle fans appear to agree too - they are wondering why we sold him so cheaply.

Agreed, but describing us as being ‘mugged’ or ‘pathetic’ is a bit……pathetic :shrug:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We denied White his dream move to Leeds, and that turned out alright.

Given he signed a new contract that summer it was obviously not the case. It was very funny seeing Leeds fans lose their minds and white take number 3 though.

It is amazing we have sold white and burn who are the best defenders at their new clubs but don’t look any weaker. Lets hope Roberts is as good as they hope because we are now a little short.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I have just told my Newcastle supporting mate who was raving about BDB’s performance yesterday that they had done well to get our third best central defender for such a good price :smile:

I won’t complain about the price though, the hierarchy here have proved they know what they’re doing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Albion wants to turn young stars into £25m+ players.

In that respect, after serving a purpose and doing a great job, Burn was taking up a place of an up and coming starlet.

And it’s only a few months ago that people were questioning why he was even in the team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports