Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you want to go from being one of the most popular to one of the most disliked clubs in the Prem in a matter of weeks then a good way to do it is be linked to decent players from all of the other 19 clubs.

Every fan of the other 19 most be saying "Newcastle can fook off right now and take their blood money with them." Indeed, there's a case for not doing business with them on principle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
10 million?!
That’s way way way too cheap.

Agree. With Dunk and Duffy both still out injured, I can't see TB taking that sort of money in a position we don't actually have cover for at present. If they were both fit and Burn was spending time on the bench, then maybe. However he's been a crucial part of an up turn in points over the last 6 or so games. Can't see us selling for that sort of money in the middle of our best PL season so far, and one in which we have probably had the most injury disruption too.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Agree. With Dunk and Duffy both still out injured, I can't see TB taking that sort of money in a position we don't actually have cover for at present. If they were both fit and Burn was spending time on the bench, then maybe. However he's been a crucial part of an up turn in points over the last 6 or so games. Can't see us selling for that sort of money in the middle of our best PL season so far, and one in which we have probably had the most injury disruption too.

Especially given it’s Newcastle. They’re absolutely desperate and absolutely loaded. We should be rinsing even if Burn has said he wants the move.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A few suggesting he has a £10M release clause ?

Gonzo BHA

Sep 3, 2004
BN1
I really like BDB. As has been said, he has really blossomed recently in the absence of Dunky and is one of our most consistent players.

I'll admit it took me a while to warm to him as he always looked vulnerable, especially when up against nippy little forwards with a trick up their sleeve, but he has been consistently putting in solid performances of late.

I'd be hoping we'd hold out for at least £20m. We should be squeezing the Saudi's for every penny we can!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Same - seems a bit odd for a player like him and where he came from

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Why would Dan Burn have a release clause?! Seems very odd. A talented young player expected to move to a big club eventually like Ben White, Yves Bissouma, Tariq Lamptey etc yes but Dan Burn?! Quality player but I'd be very surprised if when his contract was signed that was inserted? At the time I can't see why that would have been realistic or benefited anyone?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why would Dan Burn have a release clause?! Seems very odd. A talented young player expected to move to a big club eventually like Ben White, Yves Bissouma, Tariq Lamptey etc yes but Dan Burn?! Quality player but I'd be very surprised if when his contract was signed that was inserted? At the time I can't see why that would have been realistic or benefited anyone?

Agreed - but Chris Wood had one active from this summer coming (last year of his deal) at £20M which is similar, so who knows

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
Am I missing something here? Ok sure he's on good form and last few games in particular him and Webster have been immense, but his contract expires next year and he's almost 30 as well as not being first choice in a fully fit squad. £10m isn't a lot but I don't see it as unreasonable for a player like Burn imo

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'll be very sad if this happens. I love BDB and would hate to have to boo him in future. But needs must if he goes there.

I'm hoping we string them along until Monday and then tell them to fook off.

And other clubs all do the same

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Agreed - but Chris Wood had one active from this summer coming (last year of his deal) at £20M which is similar, so who knows
Chris Wood's release clause was active now, according to both clubs and the player himself. But that was a ridiculously high figure, his agent basically flying a kite in case he did far better than expected (ie.15-20 goals range) and a seriously big club came in for him. It was never really expected anyone would pay it - Wood himself says so.

Burn's release clause, if correct, would be something that he insisted on before he signed his latest contract whenever that may have been. Kieran Trippier did something similar at Burnley with 1 year left on his contract, he said he would sign a new contract if and only if it had a reasonable release clause in it. Every chance that a player like Burn would do the same when it comes to contract renewal time, and if free transfer time is only a year down the road, the club has little choice but to accept if the figure is anything like sensible.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Chris Wood's release clause was active now, according to both clubs and the player himself. But that was a ridiculously high figure, his agent basically flying a kite in case he did far better than expected (ie.15-20 goals range) and a seriously big club came in for him. It was never really expected anyone would pay it - Wood himself says so.

Burn's release clause, if correct, would be something that he insisted on before he signed his latest contract whenever that may have been. Kieran Trippier did something similar at Burnley with 1 year left on his contract, he said he would sign a new contract if and only if it had a reasonable release clause in it. Every chance that a player like Burn would do the same when it comes to contract renewal time, and if free transfer time is only a year down the road, the club has little choice but to accept if the figure is anything like sensible.

Didn't know that about Wood - thanks for confirming.

I think Dan Burn is still on the same contract when we signed him from Wigan for £4M. Just seems a bit odd that the club would accept a £10M release clause for any PL player. But if true - there we go

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Recall for Matt Clarke incoming? Or would we make do with Dunk, Webster, Duffy, Veltman? Assuming Roberts also to go out on loan, and that this story isnt just a load of blolocks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here