Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's not necessarily 'worth' £20m, that's simply the cost of ending his contract early now without negotiation......... it's up to United to determine if he's 'worth' paying out that much for. Toon also trying to recoup some of the compo they had to pay to us

May be worth £20m to Toon (and others) to stop him going.

He'll move for a compromise number within a few months
Compo to us was reported as £5m, I believe.

The crying from NUFC fans online, about Ashworth's 'lack of loyalty' shows a hilarious and predictable lack of self-awareness.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Compo to us was reported as £5m, I believe.

The crying from NUFC fans online, about Ashworth's 'lack of loyalty' shows a hilarious and predictable lack of self-awareness.
Indeed. Smug Eddie has stated :

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe called for a swift resolution to the situation at his press conference on Friday, and agreed that it was a concern that Ashworth, privy to sensitive recruitment information, was being approached by a Premier League rival.

Twat!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If I was Ashworth, I'd be tempted to get the hell out of there ASAP – and employ some decent security before he gets a request to pop along to the local Embassy... :eek:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I would expect nothing less, the same fans who before Saudi money poured into their club, moaned about Manchester City and Chelsea foreign money from dubious backgrounds to gain an advantage.
I know some folks think Newcastle fans are ok, I have always though of them of having delusions of grandeur...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They will agree a package, they’re just going through the usual posturing……….can see Newcastle making him wait until the summer though, just to be awkward.
Yep summer move (after window shuts?) and something nearer the middle and 10m I'd guess.

He'll still know Newcastles primary targets and could easily share that anyway.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If I was Ashworth, I'd be tempted to get the hell out of there ASAP – and employ some decent security before he gets a request to pop along to the local Embassy... :eek:
And this weekend, you won't be able to buy a saw or any plastic sheeting near the Saudi embassy for love nor money!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yep summer move (after window shuts?) and something nearer the middle and 10m I'd guess.

He'll still know Newcastles primary targets and could easily share that anyway.
He could but legally he’d be on very dodgy ground. He’s not meant to have any contact with his new employer while on gardening leave and if he did share anything he could leave both himself and United open to legal action by Newcastle (if it could be proven).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Newcastle fans can moan and dig their heels in all they like. But the fact is, if Ashworth has already told NUFC he wants the United job (and I doubt he'd have burned his bridges like that if he didn't have assurances that they'd wait as long as it reasonably takes for him), then his position at SJP is untenable. Hence they've already sent him home to tidy up his herbaceous borders. Now they're reportedly demanding £20 million, £15 million or whatever to release him from his contract.

Ultimately, Dan Ashworth earns a lot of money- potentially up to £1.5 million per year depending on who you believe. If they want to pay him that much money to sit on his arse for the next two years, AND have to pay a new technical director a similar salary in the meantime to fill the role, plus potential compensation if the new candidate is already employed elsewhere, then they can, but it's a fair bit of money to waste for a club already keeping a close eye on their budget. They'll end up doing what we did, and agree a fee that's more acceptable to United, make him sit six months notice out by the pool, and then let him go. And they won't announce the fee but it won't be anywhere near £20 million.

Have they still got "Christian Ronaldo, cleanin' the boots", I wonder?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Dan’s a fantastic man, he really is
steve coogan GIF

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Keep him on garden leave till the start of September so he can’t scupper Newcastle’s transfer business and then get a few million compo
This seems like the likely outcome.

Manure are in direct competition with Newcastle (and us) in terms of the race for European places. Part of their thinking must be to sabotage the Geordie’s set-up. Screwing their summer recruitment process is a good move (for them and probably us).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here