[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not many football games to write about….fill those column inches

Well, quite.

“Football club that needs a technical director of football would quite like to recruit a technical director of football from another football club.” - by Special Correspondent, Phil Space.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
What's the confusion? There is none - there is a rumour (even if it has been started by The S*n). Therefore, since there is a rumour, reporting the existance of the rumour is telling the truth. Cerainly The S*n has it's agenda - as do The Guardian, The Independent, The Daily Ma*l, The Mirror, etc. - they all publish some of the truth, some of the time; some of it heavily slanted towards their agenda. They all survive by slanting the news to reflect and validate the views of their readers.

Of course, the reader's (or the person who refuses to read) will have their own prejudices as to what is true. 'Lib Dems triumph in bye-election'; 'Tories suffer bad bye-election defeat' - both are perfectly true - but nonetheless many will prefer one 'truth' above the other.

How can reporting a rumour that you started be telling the truth? If someone at The Sun sits at their desk and thinks ‘Newcastle are going to need a director of football and that Dan Ashworth at Brighton is highly rated, let’s write a story linking them to each other’ how can that be telling the truth?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How can reporting a rumour that you started be telling the truth? If someone at The Sun sits at their desk and thinks ‘Newcastle are going to need a director of football and that Dan Ashworth at Brighton is highly rated, let’s write a story linking them to each other’ how can that be telling the truth?

The truth is that there is a rumour, regardless of whether the rumour itself is true. It's really very simple.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loving the assumption that more money = no principles.

My job is so shite, I'd take a job for Newcastle and a pay cut!

Ashworth might be so desperate to leave the Albion he'd take anything just to get out of Lancing (understandable :lolol: )

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Not the first time the Saudis have gone head hunting.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Probably a BS story but interesting to speculate whilst covid does it’s thing. I wonder if Ashworth would be high profile enough for what Newcastle are hoping to achieve in the long term. You’d think they’d be looking at someone with a track record of success at a club in the upper echelons of top flight European football and with annual forays in the champions league.
But the first thing a DoF will have to work on is getting Newcastle out of the championship next season. They look doomed.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I'll fly him up there myself.
Useless smarmy looking overpaid under performing greasy haired over embellished hyped up transfer "guru"

"Guru" ha ha, what a load of old shoite.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If he has ANY integrity, then he will just say "No". Honestly, if he wants to work for that scum, he can go...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The ‘Newcastle project’ bares no resemblance to the ‘Brighton project.’ The timescales, budget and ambitions are entirely different. For example they don’t need an academy. What’s the point if money is limitless ? Ashworth brings connections to young English players. Why would Newcastle want any of them ? If he leaves it will only be for the money. That’s not to say he won’t leave.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dan Ashworth would never leave Brighton and Hove Albion for Newcastle United, he's about 2 weeks away from making his EPL debut with us , not something you'd exchange for a 5 year £43 million pound contract and no hope of ever getting a game.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The truth is that there is a rumour, regardless of whether the rumour itself is true. It's really very simple.

Yes, if you are reporting on a rumour that has started elsewhere then ok it is true that the rumour exists. A good journalist might try to ascertain whether there is any substance to the rumour before reporting on it. If you are reporting on a rumour that you have started and know that there is no basis for then it's a stretch to say that reporting that that rumour exists is telling the truth.

For example, I've heard a rumour that you are in fact a Crystal Palace fan. So I am now going to post now and again on NSC that there's a rumour that you're a Crystal Palace fan, which will be fine because it is true that there is a rumour that you're a Crystal Palace fan.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, if you are reporting on a rumour that has started elsewhere then ok it is true that the rumour exists. A good journalist might try to ascertain whether there is any substance to the rumour before reporting on it. If you are reporting on a rumour that you have started and know that there is no basis for then it's a stretch to say that reporting that that rumour exists is telling the truth.

For example, I've heard a rumour that you are in fact a Crystal Palace fan. So I am now going to post now and again on NSC that there's a rumour that you're a Crystal Palace fan, which will be fine because it is true that there is a rumour that you're a Crystal Palace fan.

You're reall having trouble with this, aren't you? Unable to tell the truth from a lie. The S*n truthfully states that there is a rumour; your example, however, I'm calling out as a lie. You have not heard a rumour about me being a Palarse fan. You may be trying to start one, but it's 100% certain that you haven't heard one. Liar!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Newcastle have just appointed Nicky Hammond, former Reading and Celtic Director of Football, as a transfer consultant on a short term deal. His job is to oversee the January transfer window and he's the scapegoat if(when) it all goes wrong. Newcastle know that if they want to prise a new DOF away from an existing role they are unlikely to have anyone in place this season due to the notice period most of these roles come with.

If Ashworth does take the job there is a good chance he'll be leaving us for a Championship club come the summer. He'd be crazy to go, Newcastle are a car crash of a club, there is no long term planning, the new owners will want instant success so there is zero job security. Ashworth knows that he's got proper backing and support in Bloom and Barber, his head won't be on the chopping block here.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
The ‘Newcastle project’ bares no resemblance to the ‘Brighton project.’ The timescales, budget and ambitions are entirely different. For example they don’t need an academy. What’s the point if money is limitless ? Ashworth brings connections to young English players. Why would Newcastle want any of them ? If he leaves it will only be for the money. That’s not to say he won’t leave.

There has been a lot of talk in the media up here about the new owners wanting to significantly upgrade the academy and training ground.The training ground is apparently a disgrace.

But i take your point.The Arabs will want results quickly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here