Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dame Alison Rose resigns

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Cannot believe so much attention has been paid to this story. A finer example of obsessing about complete and utter BS you could not find. Farage not being granted a Coutts account is simply not a story, he could still bank at NatWest. Farage is a grifter pure and simple, a nasty piece of work who couldn't care less about this country but only about himself.

With the world both on fire and getting swept away right now why on earth are we wasting any breath on this waster?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What annoys me more than any of the rights and wrongs of this case is that this Dulwich Collge educated, former city trader turned "everyman" who is apparently in no way part of the establishment has somehow ensured his crappy trivial case is now mainstream news. Why? Why should anyone give a f**k about Coutts binning him off? It's an absolute nothing story on a par with a specific business going under entirely because of Brexit. You know, the sort of thing that goes on but doesn't make headline news for 3 consecutive weeks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Farrage sounds quite jubilant on the radio. I wonder whether he's considering suggesting there is some sort of banking conspiracy? ??? Farrage has announced he is now on a crusade to protect the tens of thousands who are being discriminated against by banks.

It's all sounding rather reminiscent of a certain trope. If only I could remember what that is. ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Farage will now have a grift on banking rights, ignoring banks already obliged to offer basic banking services. he's also ignoring he was offered an account with Natwest. ironic how the story is there was inaccurate information about his leaving Coutts, then he can get away with perpetuating inaccurate information.
Rinse and repeat, it worked for him for Brexit.

We're 10 years away from no banks for the rank and file while Farage opens an account in Monaco.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Somewhat surprisingly, Alison Rose has resigned.
Why is a surprise?

She leaked privileged information about an individual's account details to a BBC journo.

That's not just an error of judgement.

She's done the right thing to resign - something most of this current Govt. should have done a long time ago.

BTW I can't stand Farage - but this is not about him - it's about the CEO of bank which we have (I think) a 39% (could be wrong?) share in.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Why is a surprise?

She leaked privileged information about an individual's account details to a BBC journo.

That's not just an error of judgement.

She's done the right thing to resign - something most of this current Govt. should have done a long time ago.

BTW I can't stand Farage - but this is not about him - it's about the CEO of bank which we have (I think) a 39% (could be wrong?) share in.
Pretty much this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gossiping to a reporter about confidential client matters, made her position untenable. Unbelievable from a bank CEO.

But well done to her now for doing the honourable thing.

Chairman Howard Davies giving her full backing was ill advised, shirley a fundamental banking principle is confidentiality.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Why should his views not impact his custom? Many businesses drop people if they feel their views are not alligned with theirs....this is not new. There are many examples of this.
I hate Farage but this is a very slippery slope for banking. Extreme example, but what if your bank manager happened to be a Palace fan and took issue with something you posted on here? Would you be fair game for account closure? If the CEO of your water company didn’t like your politics could they get you cut off?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I echo a lot of the above as to why it was SUCH a big story, but I knew as soon as I saw the today's front pages last night that the game was up for her.

What I find bizarre is Farage and his ilk can seemingly get away with saying any old shite and it either goes unchallenged or they'll try and hide from it. I've never heard him apologise for anything he has got wrong ever – and yet he's waged a one-man campaign against 'woke banks' and the BBC since this story broke. I get defending yourself, but I also gather that the fact that he didn't have enough money for a Coutts account was true.

It all comes across as a bit snowflaky from Farage and the irony of him trying to 'cancel' people when he is dead against that sort of thing is not lost on me...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I echo a lot of the above as to why it was SUCH a big story, but I knew as soon as I saw the today's front pages last night that the game was up for her.

What I find bizarre is Farage and his ilk can seemingly get away with saying any old shite and it either goes unchallenged or they'll try and hide from it. I've never heard him apologise for anything he has got wrong ever – and yet he's waged a one-man campaign against 'woke banks' and the BBC since this story broke. I get defending yourself, but I also gather that the fact that he didn't have enough money for a Coutts account was true.

It all comes across as a bit snowflaky from Farage and the irony of him trying to 'cancel' people when he is dead against that sort of thing is not lost on me...

He did have enough money, the bank lied about that.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Farrage sounds quite jubilant on the radio. I wonder whether he's considering suggesting there is some sort of banking conspiracy? ???Farrage has announced he is now on a crusade to protect the tens of thousands who are being discriminated against by banks.

It's all sounding rather reminiscent of a certain trope. If only I could remember what that is. ???
I agree Farage will be absolutely loving this, what a gift.

As sure as eggs is eggs, his GB ‘news’ show today will all be about the woke banks, woke corporations and the woke liberal elite who have it in for the everyday bloke on the street.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting that this should be your perception. If it emerges that he now has banks falling over themselves to offer 'executive' accounts, I'd agree the grift has succeeded.

In the meantime, all I am seeing is a loathsome man who has on this rare occasion had an aspect of his loathsome self (in this case his banking status) misrepresented. The misrepresenter has resigned.

This still (apparently, correct me if I'm wrong) leaves Farrage a bit light in the bank facilities department, which is not to his advantage (and, yes, he still looks like a shifty spiv who, out of sight and earshot, has just pushed a smaller Jew into a hedge).
thats his version. what Dame Allison did wrong was leak Farage being asked to leave Coutts, because commercial policy. this was incomplete, not a misrepresentation. there is literally a dossier on their analysis of his activities and how they conflict with the bank's various policies relating to ESG and generally not the sort of chap they want to deal with. his banking with Coutts was due to close with the end of his mortgage thi month, then he paid it off early so they assessed it fell below commercial criteria, conclusion to close early and offer alternative.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree Farage will be absolutely loving this, what a gift.

As sure as eggs is eggs, his GB ‘news’ show today will all be about the woke banks, woke corporations and the woke liberal elite who have it in for the everyday bloke on the street.

That’s my thinking too, this has been an unexpected gift to him, he now has cast iron evidence in the bank dossier that his views were assessed by part of the ‘establishment’. Reinvigorating his profile for years to come.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I have heard a rumour, and it's only a rumour, that he's a mealy-mouthed little shit. There may be better more plausible explanations of course.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
thats his version. what Dame Allison did wrong was leak Farage being asked to leave Coutts, because commercial policy. this was incomplete, not a misrepresentation. there is literally a dossier on their analysis of his activities and how they conflict with the bank's various policies relating to ESG. his banking with Coutts was due to close with the end of his mortgage thi month, then he paid it off early so they assessed it fell below commercial criteria, conclusion to close early and offer alternative.
So Farrage is misrepresenting the actualité, is he? Fancy that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here