Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dame Alison Rose resigns

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Somewhat surprisingly, Alison Rose has resigned.

Normally, you'd get an extra damehood for calling Nigel Farage a disingenuous grifter, but it appears Rose has decided she must go, and while I agree we should ensure that people have banking services, I'd feel pretty unwell having him as one of my customers.

Anyhow, normally you can't get a government minister for love or money to come on the radio or TV to talk about banks, but today they're falling over themselves. That measley mouthed MP we have in Mid Sussex is calling for standards (this is the same guy who lent Johnson his house and refused to damn him for lies), and No. 10 has had the cheek to say they expect people in public life to show the highest standards. FFS! We agree, but where have you been for the past 5 years? She only said he had qeustionable views that could be seen as xenophobic. He has!

Let's also remember, banking services weren't withdrawn from him. He was offer NatWest Premier status over Coutts.

Now Farage is asking for cultural change at the bank. It sounds like they have just the right culture if they are asking whether they really want Farage as a customer and if their leader is stepping up and resigning at the first sign that they should be accountable for something that they did.

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Personally hate Farage, but he’s just a customer with a bank and unless he’s doing something illegal his views should not impact that.
For an employee to wade in in a public manner by commenting on a customer is a basic no no that would get you fired in most situations. It’s not exactly whistle blowing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally hate Farage, but he’s just a customer with a bank and unless he’s doing something illegal his views should not have impact that.
For an employee to wade in in a public manner by commenting on a customer is a basic that would get you fired in most situations. It’s not exactly whistle blowing.
Why should his views not impact his custom? Many businesses drop people if they feel their views are not alligned with theirs....this is not new. There are many examples of this.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Banks should generally avoid taking political stances.
They should focus on trying to serve their customers well.
They‘ve been a little patchy at this over recent years.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why should his views not impact his custom? Many businesses drop people if they feel their views are not alligned with theirs....this is not new. There are many examples of this.
Well yes, but it's not as if he's said that the first-born child of every immigrant should be sacrificed to Odin. He is an obnoxious twerp with outdated views, we all accept that, but he's done nothing illegal and he deserves a full apology from Coutts/Nat West - especially seeing how poorly it was handled. I used to think 'Cancel Culture' was just an invention of the right-wing press but I'm not so sure now.

Anyway, now look what you've made me do, you've made me stick up for Nigel Farage. I'm off for a lie down ...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Farage will now have a grift on banking rights, ignoring banks already obliged to offer basic banking services. he's also ignoring he was offered an account with Natwest. ironic how the story is there was inaccurate information about his leaving Coutts, then he can get away with perpetuating inaccurate information.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Somewhat surprisingly, Alison Rose has resigned.

Normally, you'd get an extra damehood for calling Nigel Farage a disingenuous grifter, but it appears Rose has decided she must go, and while I agree we should ensure that people have banking services, I'd feel pretty unwell having him as one of my customers.

Anyhow, normally you can't get a government minister for love or money to come on the radio or TV to talk about banks, but today their falling over themselves. That measley mouthed MP we have in Mid Sussex is calling for standards (this is the same guy who lent Johnson his house and refused to damn him for lies), and No. 10 has had the cheek to say they expect people in public life to show the highest standards. FFS! We agree, but where have you been for the past 5 years? She only said he had qeustionable views that could be seen as xenophobic. He has!

Let's also remember, banking services weren't withdrawn from him. He was offer NatWest Premier status over Coutts.

Now Farage is asking for cultural change at the bank. It sounds like they have just the right culture if they are asking whether they really want Farage as a customer and if their leader is stepping up and resigning at the first sign that they should be accountable for something that they did.
She f***ed up. She resigned.

It is called doing the honorable thing.

Something this tory shower knows nothing about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well yes, but it's not as if he's said that the first-born child of every immigrant should be sacrificed to Odin. He is an obnoxious twerp with outdated views, we all accept that, but he's done nothing illegal and he deserves a full apology from Coutts/Nat West - especially seeing how poorly it was handled. I used to think 'Cancel Culture' was just an invention of the right-wing press but I'm not so sure now.

Anyway, now look what you've made me do, you've made me stick up for Nigel Farage. I'm off for a lie down ...
I completely disagree, it is up to Coutts who they want to be associated with, or without. As I say, this is nothing new as businesses are often disassociating themselves with people or entities which do not share the same values or beliefs.

As for cancel culture...who's cancelling who here? Is Coutts' basic right to choose who they allign themselves with being cancelled?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For this I apologise.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The media’s obsession with trivia continues.

At least there’s still BBC World service for now…

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Farage will now have a grift on banking rights, ignoring banks already obliged to offer basic banking services. he's also ignoring he was offered an account with Natwest. ironic how the story is there was inaccurate information about his leaving Coutts, then he can get away with perpetuating inaccurate information.
Interesting that this should be your perception. If it emerges that he now has banks falling over themselves to offer 'executive' accounts, I'd agree the grift has succeeded.

In the meantime, all I am seeing is a loathsome man who has on this rare occasion had an aspect of his loathsome self (in this case his banking status) misrepresented. The misrepresenter has resigned.

This still (apparently, correct me if I'm wrong) leaves Farrage a bit light in the bank facilities department, which is not to his advantage (and, yes, he still looks like a shifty spiv who, out of sight and earshot, has just pushed a smaller Jew into a hedge).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well yes and I think they would be well advised to keep their traps shut about what constitutes a resignation matter
Never underestimate the chutzpa of congenital charlatans.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Farage v Coutts feels like choosing Stalin or Hitler. And that is all I will add on the matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here