Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dalian Atkinson dies after police tasering...

albionite

May 20, 2009
Reports saying he had mental health issues. (Not sure if that's a good enough reason to teaser, pepper spray would of been better)

Wondering if the cause(health) is from to many knocks to the head like they are starting to diagnose American football players now.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Reports saying he had mental health issues. (Not sure if that's a good enough reason to teaser, pepper spray would of been better)

Wondering if the cause(health) is from to many knocks to the head like they are starting to diagnose American football players now.
So are you saying you think he was tasered purely because he had mental health issues ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes he was sitting down watching tv minding his own business and they tasered him purely because he had health issues, I clearly said that :ffsparr:

You said " reports saying he had mental health issues,not sure that's a good enough reason to taser , pepper spray would **of** been better " , what do you think that implies ? Really ??

**have**

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Whilst im sure there was a reason in this case there hasnt always been a justified reason for the discharge of tasers. Say for example the case of the 61 year old blind man tasered in the back because the officer thought his white cane was a samurai sword

Wasn't that a reason then. An inaccurate assessment but thinking someone has a Samurai sword ....

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

And how would they have known he had mental health problems ?

albionite

May 20, 2009
You said " reports saying he had mental health issues,not sure that's a good enough reason to taser , pepper spray would **of** been better " , what do you think that implies ? Really

Well to me it means he wasn't in control, no mention of knives or any weapons.
Meaning he could of been taken down with less aggressive measures. (Will have to wait for the investigation if the amount of force was justified, but for now it has resulted in a loss of life)

Or you looking for an argument just for the sake of it.

**have**

**have**[/QUOTE]

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Until there is a suitable substitute developed is there any better option? Certainly safer than being armed with guns. Just extremely unfortunate, RIP.

Well, in this case and quote a few others they might as well have. Sending that much electricty through a human body has significant risks, especially with the elderly and those with medical conditions. Personally, I don't think the risks stack up.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I stayed in that area of Telford this weekend, only a few hundred yards away.

Wow, that was a close thing then. Still, it makes me appreciate how lucky we all are to still have you on here.:smile:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Tasers shouldn't be deployed unless the person being fired upon has a weapon.

The eye witness didn't report a struggle. I wouldn't be surprised if the OB wanted to arrest him for something silly like breach of the peace and he refused to go quietly, so they tasered him because they were cowards and couldn't be bothered to restrain him properly. That would explain the vague statement and lack of any further information today.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
And how would they have known he had mental health problems ?

Well they wouldn't.... But one would hope that Bobbys should be made aware of that possibility, whilst they should also be (and probably are) made aware that banging 50,000 volts into an elderly person (like me) are more likely to be catastrophic. Anyway sad outcome, and even for the officer concerned.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A few years back, only properly trained fire arms police had tasers. Now in London every new recruit goes through an intensive course. Unfortunately I fear this will happen more often when you give any policeman who wants one, a lethal weapon

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was in Telford today, the town centre and park are brilliant.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A few years back, only properly trained fire arms police had tasers. Now in London every new recruit goes through an intensive course. Unfortunately I fear this will happen more often when you give any policeman who wants one, a lethal weapon
This. Look at the number of unnecessary deaths in America because scared people with badges have lethal weapons.

It may not be a gun but an electrocution weapon should only be used in extreme circumstances. Not because some rozzer is a bit twitchy about arresting someone in a proper manner.

The creep of this being a normal occurrence shouldn't be accepted.

Jimmy Grimble

Sure I saw a clip on the news earlier, where an eye-witness said she saw a police officer kicking Atkinson on the floor after he had been tasered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here