Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
i was very impressed with Stephens when he first arrived, and you could see he had some class. Then injured. Looks even better now he is back.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The ball was so well struck for his goal. Great technique. Didn't snatch at it, head over the ball, put his laces through it. It didn't rise.

And he is tall .......

And the ball was proper burried in the bottom corner of the net. The net comes away from the ground its stuck the back that hard. Lovely strike. Not seen too many midfielders score a goal like that since Carpenter.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First of all, I never said he was MotM last night. That said, I would probably have given it to him, but there were several players worthy including Kayal, Bruno and Murphy and I'd not take issue with any of the four getting the award.

I started the thread because I'm not sure I've seen too much praise for him (there may have been, and I've missed it) but he's just been quietly going about his business of dominating midfield with the more attention-grabbing Kayal.

He covers so much ground and keeps going until the 90th/96th minute.

Given there were times last season when there were genuine doubts that he could ever play again, it's fantastic to see him back but also to be playing so bloody well too. He IS like a new signing (see also: Baldock, Sam).

Or EVEN the 98th min :whistle:

Great player; great goal. Long may the Kayphens :)lol:) partnership continue.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Good injury-free pre season has helped. Good combination in midfield with Kayal.

Only downside to his performance last night were his bloody awful corners! (Same old story)

storer

Nov 28, 2010
Playing very well at the moment AS A PAIR and a centre mid partnership is priceless. Their short patient passing to create space for an outlet ball to fb/winger was superb tonight and is key to how we play.

Strong midfield unit rather than talented individuals seems to be the key to doing well in this league, ie Ipswich, Bournemouth, Norwich. So asking the question of what Stephens would be like without Kayal next to him is irrelevant in my opinion.

And don't forget we have Crofts...very similar player to both of them...ideal replacement

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
First of all, I never said he was MotM last night. That said, I would probably have given it to him, but there were several players worthy including Kayal, Bruno and Murphy and I'd not take issue with any of the four getting the award.

I started the thread because I'm not sure I've seen too much praise for him (there may have been, and I've missed it) but he's just been quietly going about his business of dominating midfield with the more attention-grabbing Kayal.

He covers so much ground and keeps going until the 90th/96th minute.

Given there were times last season when there were genuine doubts that he could ever play again, it's fantastic to see him back but also to be playing so bloody well too. He IS like a new signing (see also: Baldock, Sam).

Spot on here. Although might it be time to start a Baldock thread too? He's a live wire, a menace to defenders, his movement is brilliant, and puts in a real shift. He's been close to scoring on numerous occasions. I have little doubt that many will come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spot on here. Although might it be time to start a Baldock thread too? He's a live wire, a menace to defenders, his movement is brilliant, and puts in a real shift. He's been close to scoring on numerous occasions. I have little doubt that many will come.

He's certainly better than that shitehouse winger we had last season.
He was so bad I can't even remember his name.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Nope, I'm not having it.

I'm not having these week in week out MOTM performances.
Don't get me wrong, he good, he's getting better, he's performing really well in a strong team.
But he's not out performing everybody else.

Tonight his forward distribution was so-so, break up play great, side ways movement also great, but still no assists.
Fantastic goal, if only Solly could strike the ball like that.
But Stephens was responsible for both Rotherham's first half attacks.
And he's just a smidge slower on the ball than everybody else.

He's a very good player, currently playing very well.
Had he played like this last year he'd be Player of the Season, already.

But we're different gravy this year, Baldock, Bruno, Murphy, Uwe, means I'm just not seeing Stephens as MotM.
We're incredibly lucky he's not usually our best centre midfielder. (although he was tonight)

De ja vu
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?299593-Dale-Stephens&p=6299602&viewfull=1#post6299602
Did he sleep with your sister or something?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good injury-free pre season has helped. Good combination in midfield with Kayal.

Only downside to his performance last night were his bloody awful corners! (Same old story)

Corners were good last season. None any good this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll settle for NSC to be arguing over which excellent performance most deserved MOM.

Corners were good last season. None any good this season.
Kayal could have scored from an excellent corner yesterday.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Stephens edged it for me vs Jamie Murphy.Murphy marked down for abysmal shots in the first half. Both influential in the goals.
Murphy's second shot was certainly not abysmal. It only missed by a little.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1442420970074.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1442420970074.png
    783.4 KB · Views: 279

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Definitely my MOM last night. I'd love to see his passing accuracy % last night, must be in the high 90s. And tackling, and breaking down play, and making us breathe. Conducting our orchestra, oh and a lovely goal.

I can help you there

[tweet]643920217752666116[/tweet]

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
Did anyone else hear that bloke on the 22:03 train Worthing way ? Saw his mate started talking about the game and said Stephens was shit everyone in the carriage shook there heads

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What an absolute gem we have in Stephens. I thought he was a good player last season but this good??. The fact he gets goals as well just adds to his worth.When Derby bid 2.5 million I thought that was a good price but just a month or so later it seems a joke.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When Derby bid 2.5 million I thought that was a good price
I thought it was a joke even then, given current market prices. I would have been annoyed if we'd have accepted £5m, given that we were able to turn down that for Dunk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here