Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bobby Zamora ‏@RobertZamora25 4m4 minutes ago
@8stephens top player top lad. Wants to play in the best league in the world. Understandable. Window shut now, fans support, Dale focus. ��⚽
Can't see that, has he deleted it?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well said. Too many people on here have short term memories.

If you want the Albion to get promoted then maybe yes. Suspect BZ knows DS far better than you. Let's not forget that BZ is another player that left to play in the Premier league as did Barnes, Ulloa, Bridcutt and Buckley. The only thing that stopped DS was that Burnley didn't cough up the asking fee.

Yes, he wanted to be in the Premier League but you seem to imply that he wants to be anywhere but here, which I doubt.

Fed up with reading posts by imbeciles who seem quite happy to cut off their noses to spite their face.
Ah ok your one of those imbeciles who have to result to name calling when others have a different view point to yours.
We all have dreams and ambitions the difference being the majority of us don't have a hissy fit in public when things don't pan out as we would like. If anything Stephens should be having a rant at Burnley for messing about not his current employer.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What I didn't know until this morning is this is the second time that Stephens had, in his mind at least,an opportunity to play in the Premier League:

[tweet]771250516294676481[/tweet]

"Sky Sports understands Aston Villa have launched a bid to sign Charlton Athletic midfielder Dale Stephens.

Villa boss Paul Lambert is hoping to improve his squad before the transfer window closes, if the right opportunity becomes available, and is now thought to have made a move for Stephens.

The 24-year-old joined Charlton last summer on a three-year contract from Oldham Athletic after taking in a brief but impressive loan spell at Southampton."

I can completely understand his desire to make the move and test himself at that level.

That is very relevant to this situation.

Big test of CH's man management abilities now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That is very relevant to this situation.

Big test of CH's man management abilities now.

I think Stephens will get his head down and carry on. He'll play for a big move and his agent will engineer a move to Burnley for about £2M in January where our recruitment team should hopefully have had ample time for a suitable replacement.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think Stephens will get his head down and carry on. He'll play for a big move and his agent will engineer a move to Burnley for about £2M in January where our recruitment team should hopefully have had ample time for a suitable replacement.
So we've paid £6m plus wages for a demotivated player for 4 months? I bloody hope not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
@8stephens top player top lad. Wants to play in the best league in the world. Understandable. Window shut now, fans support, Dale focus. ��⚽
This, Bobby, this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So we've paid £6m plus wages for a demotivated player for 4 months? I bloody hope not.

TB loves a gamble and this is exactly what we have here. Get it right and he and we reap the rewards of promotion, get it wrong and he not we has lost a further 6 million.

If CH can manage Stephens and he gets his head down it could be a master stoke, on the other hand it could rock the boat with a grumpy want away player ruining the team spirit which did us proud last season

Great gamble by TB but I'm glad it's his money and not mine not that I could come anywhere close to raising 6 million :smile:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Burnley have signed Hendrick and Defour.

If Stephens sulks (and there is no evidence that he will) then Burnley won't be bothered in signing someone who is not match fit and has been benchwarming in January, as it will take time to acclimatise.

C-Complex

May 13, 2016
Reality is that most of our squad (and those of all other clubs) would jump at the chance at playing in the PL at the right stage of their career. Can't blame them for that. That's not disloyalty its ambition. We need players that are good enough to have real ambition to play in PL. so the club can realise its full potential. Stephens is a pro, he'll back his teammates!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Liam Rosenior's viewpoint

[tweet]771638407852208128[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
January will be a different world. Burnley might be mid-table, in which case they might still want him, or they might decide that with all the PL money pouring in they'll be able to go for someone better in the summer and don't need Stephens.
Alternatively, they might be well adrift at the bottom, in which case he might not be so keen to go for just a half season struggling against probable relegation, especially if we're flying high.
Whatever way, though, his only sensible career move will be to play his heart out for the Albion for now, to keep himself in the PL shop window.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ah ok your one of those imbeciles who have to result to name calling when others have a different view point to yours.
We all have dreams and ambitions the difference being the majority of us don't have a hissy fit in public when things don't pan out as we would like. If anything Stephens should be having a rant at Burnley for messing about not his current employer.

Did you mean to say 'resort' to name calling?

If anyone (or group) is having a hissy fit it's all those posting stupid comments about a situation based on speculation. Stephens has kept quiet about the whole issue until the window closed where, probably being aware of the speculation, posted a comment on twitter to clarify the situation. It has never been reported that he refused to play but some make that assumption. He hasn't said he isn't going to try his best but some assume that just because he didn't specifically state he was going to try his best.

If you have been a football supporter for some time then you should be fully aware of how transfers work and how players move for money or ambition. Just as players are trying to get the best deal for themselves then aren't clubs doing exactly the same?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you have been a football supporter for some time then you should be fully aware of how transfers work and how players move for money or ambition. Just as players are trying to get the best deal for themselves then aren't clubs doing exactly the same?

Love to know the thinking behind waiting until the morning that the transfer window closed to put in a transfer request. Agent advice? Sack the agent. His idea? Quite gormless.

Let's see what happens, after appearing to be very dignified for a number of months Stephens seems to have thrown a strop at the eleventh hour.

I, for one, will be very surprised if this just settles down to "as you were". Hope so though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here