Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Agree.

Norwood hasn't shown he is as good as Stephens. Also, the Dunk situation was different because the team were winning. At the end of August we had won four out of five league games, drawing the other. After five games this year, we have already dropped seven points.

Given a run Norwood could well be better than DS but he needs to learn how the other players react/play to get the best of their synergies.

Statistically he was above BK/DS last season.

Its early days with Norwood isen't it...I think he's only started one league game...ironically with DS

Exactly.

I'm an advocate of bringing DS straight back in but CH knows best I expect.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
If Stephens mind is in the right place and CH would know that, then he should start. However, I am in the camp that we cannot compare Norwood with him as he has not had a run in the team. He certainly can thread a ball thru to the front men inside the defenders which we were unable to do last season. I believe that Norwood will end up being an important player for us this season.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I believe we need to try and move on from Stephens. I take the view he is half gone already and it is just a question of when. I hope to be proved wrong, I really do.
If Burnley had put £8million on the table at the beginning of August and Stephens had put in his transfer request then, he would be gone by now and we would likely have strengthened. The proper offer and his transfer request just came in too late in the day.

Norwood deserves a chance in the home game v Brentford. Let us start as we mean to go on. Stephens can come in later when needed.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I don't get why people find this so hard to grasp.

Tony Bloom is a gambler. He has gambled the £7,000,000 we were offered for Stephens against the £120,000,000 we could potentially get if we are promoted. If we're honest with ourselves neither Norwood nor Sidwell are going to work as well alongside Kayal as Stephens does, meaning Kayal/Stephens is our strongest midfield pairing and gives us the best chance of going up.

I for one think Stephens is professional enough to get his head down and perform to the same level as last year, and if he does we will be right up in the promotion mix again.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I don't get why people find this so hard to grasp.

Tony Bloom is a gambler. He has gambled the £7,000,000 we were offered for Stephens against the £120,000,000 we could potentially get if we are promoted. If we're honest with ourselves neither Norwood nor Sidwell are going to work as well alongside Kayal as Stephens does, meaning Kayal/Stephens is our strongest midfield pairing and gives us the best chance of going up.

I for one think Stephens is professional enough to get his head down and perform to the same level as last year, and if he does we will be right up in the promotion mix again.

As Stephens did !!

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
Is everyone still going on about Stephens? I would have thought this thread would have least been on page 2!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Shenanigans do not come from nowhere. They are caused by an agency.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Matt Le Tissier launched a new agency yesterday. He's just been on 5live Sports Week talking about it. It's based on his philosophy (see how many transfers he had) and prioritises career over money. Dale needs a new agent after his current one advised him so badly, this would be the ideal choice.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Matt Le Tissier launched a new agency yesterday. He's just been on 5live Sports Week talking about it. It's based on his philosophy (see how many transfers he had) and prioritises career over money. Dale needs a new agent after his current one advised him so badly, this would be the ideal choice.
It's with Francis Benali (another one-club man) - you do wonder how far they'll get with it against the money-driven majority but maybe Le Tiss' profile will help at least.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Unfortunately doomed to failure, greed will make sure of that. The old chestnut "it's a short career you have to make all you can during it" will sway most against putting their career first. See Bridcutt, Buckley and Stephens as Albion examples.

FFS most of NSC use the argument "if someone offered to more than double my wages I'd take it"

Good luck Matt, I think you'll need it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here