Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Both of which are the same thing.

And it is considered perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with 'And' for effect. Grammatically incorrect, perhaps, but rules are there to be broken. If you do it right.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with the word "And", if, as you say, you do it right. The point I was making was that Naylor's sentence on its own does not make any sense. (see below)
"And the disappointment you expressed to fans in a message similar to this via your Twitter account on Wednesday night after handing in a transfer request".

In order to make a properly constructed sentence starting with the word "And" it should have been written:
"And we can also understand the disappointment you expressed to fans in a message similar to this via your Twitter account on Wednesday night after handing in a transfer request".
or even
"And the disappointment you expressed to fans in a message similar to this via your Twitter account on Wednesday night after handing in a transfer request is also understandable".
In these contexts it is perfectly acceptable to start the sentence with the word "and" and also the sentences have a meaning, unlike Naylor's sentence which makes no sense at all because it's unfinished. If he spoke those words to you, you would be waiting for him to finish the sentence to see what point he was trying to make. Naylor is a professional writer. He should be more aware of this than others.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
We could turn the debate up a notch by discussing whether split infinitives are permissible.

On the subject of whether it is deemed permissible to split the infinitives it depends whether you are prepared "to boldly go where no man has gone before"
Personally I don't have a problem with it. Nor, it appears, did Gene Roddenberry.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I agree that there is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with the word "And", if, as you say, you do it right. The point I was making was that Naylor's sentence on its own does not make any sense. (see below)
"And the disappointment you expressed to fans in a message similar to this via your Twitter account on Wednesday night after handing in a transfer request".

In order to make a properly constructed sentence starting with the word "And" it should have been written:
"And we can also understand the disappointment you expressed to fans in a message similar to this via your Twitter account on Wednesday night after handing in a transfer request".
or even
"And the disappointment you expressed to fans in a message similar to this via your Twitter account on Wednesday night after handing in a transfer request is also understandable".
In these contexts it is perfectly acceptable to start the sentence with the word "and" and also the sentences have a meaning, unlike Naylor's sentence which makes no sense at all because it's unfinished. If he spoke those words to you, you would be waiting for him to finish the sentence to see what point he was trying to make. Naylor is a professional writer. He should be more aware of this than others.

Naylor chooses to start that sentence with and as a stylistic device. He maintains the short sentence structure throughout the letter. Nothing wrong with that.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Always knew he was a wrong-un..... oao.jpg :lolol:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Naylor chooses to start that sentence with and as a stylistic device. He maintains the short sentence structure throughout the letter. Nothing wrong with that.

I think on reflection you could be right. I've just reread Naylor's letter again and it occurred to me that he was trying to write it in the style of a Shakespearean sonnet. There appear to be some similarities in its structure. And the theme of thwarted desire is certainly one which Shakespeare would have visited. The last line especially, "Do that and by next summer the opportunity you deserve can be yours – with or without Albion" could easily have been lifted from the pages of Macbeth.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

or even

That's as may be. I hadn't read Naylor's comment, or your comments about them. I was merely responding to BG.

And he had got it wrong. And that's not unusual.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
He's correct that he was taught it but it's not something you need to religiously follow as an adult. Split infinitives are never permissible.

Very good.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
That's one of those 'rules' that is taught to kids because teachers want a simple way of showing them how to break sentences. The same goes for other conjunctions like so, but and because.

Adults really don't need to follow this 'rule' and the merits of teaching it to children is questionable.

Thought your previous was subtly witty but not so sure now ... confusion with number? Tut tut!

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
shenanigan (n.) Look up shenanigan at Dictionary.com
1855, of uncertain origin. Earliest records of it are in San Francisco and Sacramento, California, U.S. Suggestions include Spanish chanada, a shortened form of charranada "trick, deceit;" or, less likely, German Schenigelei, peddler's argot for "work, craft," or the related German slang verb schinäglen. Another guess centers on Irish sionnach "fox."

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Always knew he was a wrong-un..... View attachment 77639 :lolol:

What I try to gain from these photos is ''Who sits alongside who on a plane journey'' Gives you an idea of who is friends with who''. If you go on holiday in a group you tend to sit next to or close to the one you get on best with or at least within speaking distance to..............I got nothing from it except that maybe Sidwell is possibly good friends with Stephens ?. What do you think?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Friday issue of The Sun in football snippets says Dale Stephens has told the club he is off in the summer but we all know that isnt what he said because what he actually said was he would honour his contract

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Friday issue of The Sun in football snippets says Dale Stephens has told the club he is off in the summer but we all know that isnt what he said because what he actually said was he would honour his contract

I think he means next summer when his contract would have expired anyway. This summer is over.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What I try to gain from these photos is ''Who sits alongside who on a plane journey'' Gives you an idea of who is friends with who''. If you go on holiday in a group you tend to sit next to or close to the one you get on best with or at least within speaking distance to..............I got nothing from it except that maybe Sidwell is possibly good friends with Stephens ?. What do you think?

Dunk is Billy no mates ?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

or even

Technically it isn't a sentence as it does not contain a main verb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here