Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Its the whole fan emotion v's pro player perception thing again. Dale Stephens is not a Brighton fan, he pays his bills by playing for the club. Ask yourself if another employer in your field offered you more money per week to do your job at a higher level, and that if that company was sussex based and you'd been living in your present job at the other end of the country to where you come from....what would be your reaction? Its natural.

This event it seems is also a paradigm shift, a new precedent. history has showed that players that came here before for any contract duration were allowed to go if a suitable offer from a prem club came in and the player wanted it. There is no way that 8 million for a player with 10 months on his contract who wanted to leave could be deemed derisory, but the club stopped it, fair play to TB, as is his prerogative. But was Stephens ever told or even under the impression that he like many before him wouldnt be stopped if that happened?

Going forward, will players now insist on a contract clause? or even be turned off coming if they get a chance to increase their wages or be nearer to home and the club now has history in stopping players from doing so.

No doubt we're stronger with Dale, he's under contract etc etc but pandoras box is now open.
Plenty of examples where this has happened before.. De Gea, Stones are two that come to mind, and it hasn't had any impact on future business to my mind. If he was so desperate to leave, why not hand in a transfer request 5 weeks ago - an official, legitimate way of signaling your wish to leave a club.. we are supposed to respect the fact that he didn't and I don't understand why that is so? Maybe the Club has screwed him over, because we haven't been able to get other players in, but that is their option to. Come January, we may sell him, but we will know by then if we are looking good for promotion or not, and will still make some profit and line up replacements. If we don't sell him, we have a season to show him that we can meet his dreams or not.. either way, then its good bye and good luck..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you read my posts through all of this thread, I have tried to tell you all without coming out and openly saying it ''That he would not be leaving in this transfer window'' I have also been saying that I don't think he will be leaving in January either.
You've also come out openly and said the team will be signing a striker.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Cant understand why albion fans would flame dale stephens for his tweet.

Firstly, he was being honest...unlike the club's 'extra training' line
Secondly, he is right. Understandable he wants to be in prem and the fact is burnley are already there
Thirdly, he has fronted up to the fans. He didn't have to. That tweet came from the heart.

We should have let him go. 8 million plus for dale stephens in his last year of contract is simply very good business

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Its the whole fan emotion v's pro player perception thing again. Dale Stephens is not a Brighton fan, he pays his bills by playing for the club. Ask yourself if another employer in your field offered you more money per week to do your job at a higher level, and that if that company was sussex based and you'd been living in your present job at the other end of the country to where you come from....what would be your reaction? Its natural.

This event it seems is also a paradigm shift, a new precedent. History has showed that players that came here before for any contract duration were allowed to go if a suitable offer from a prem club came in and the player wanted it. There is no way that 8 million for a player with 10 months on his contract who wanted to leave could be deemed derisory, but the club stopped it, fair play to TB, as is his prerogative. But was Stephens ever told or even under the impression that he like many before him wouldnt be stopped if that happened?

Going forward, will players now insist on a contract clause? or even be turned off coming if they get a chance to increase their wages or be nearer to home and the club now has history in stopping players from doing so.

No doubt we're stronger with Dale, he's under contract etc etc but pandoras box is now open.

IMHO Tony's 100% correct stance sends a positive message... we are serious about getting to the Prem... didn't put Duffy off, did it?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If Chris thought that he might not do then he would have let him go.

Over 1,000 posts and this is the nuts and bolts of it. I'd wager, Tony Bloom and Chris Hughton had this conversation a long time ago.

If CH has said to TB that he feels he can get the best out of DS post September 1st, that he's super important to our campaign, then I expect TB will have been rejecting all bar a silly offer. It's now up to CH to really earn his money and get the best out of DS until January and hopefully beyond, a real test of his man-management abilities and one I think he'll pass. Thank god Poyet isn't still in charge, his fragile ego would have ****ed this situation up a long time ago.

One concern form me though. Unless circumstances really go our way over the next 4 months, we are going to be in exactly the same situation in January. We can't just take DS out of the firing line for another month without signing someone (imo, like.)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There wasn't an asking price. He wasn't for sale.

If he'd slapped in his transfer request a couple of months ago I suggest that he would have been sold. I have absolutely no sympathy for him and as said elsewhere waiting until the last minute to do it was possibly driven by greed.

It's not as if he is some poorly paid player at the bottom of the football chain playing for some no mark club. He signed a contract for three years, no surprise the club expect him to honour it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If that's how Dale feels we should have sold. We now have at least two unhappy players who have felt the need to express their views on social media, and we are a striker short.

Not the best transfer window.

Who's the other player?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There wasn't an asking price. He wasn't for sale.

True, but if they were really serious about him then they wouldn't arse about with tiny, frankly insulting bids - especially as everyone knows they're a PL club with a tonne of money. Even their own fans were wondering why they didn't throw an extra 2m or whatever was needed, particularly as they knew we would be bullish with our negotiations.

For me, there's no 1 person at fault - Burnley should have stopped being tight arses and DS should have put a transfer request in earlier, ESPECIALLY if it's true that he made it clear to the club 5 weeks ago.

DS hasn't come out smelling of roses, and he's gonna have to prove on the pitch that he's willing to honour his contract - not just sit back and collect his wages for the last 10 months/til the Jan window.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Because he waited until HOURS before the transfer deadline to put in a transfer request?

what are the consequences of transfer requests? genuinely don't know

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone that legit bought that line needs their ****ing head examined.

I don't think anyone bought it. I just think people were suggesting that it didn't really matter, which given DS is still at the club, it didn't.

All that matters is can Chris Hughton get the best out of him? If that involves CH telling a few white lies, great. Effective man-management is knowing what messages work with what players, all the griping on here about CH lying was pathetic, he has a job to do, let him do it.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I hope and think that Dale will be getting a lot of "love" from the players over the next few games (especially when he scores) and he will be a key part of the engine that drives us into auto promotion this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope and think that Dale will be getting a lot of "love" from the players over the next few games (especially when he scores) and he will be a key part of the engine that drives us into auto promotion this season.

He will also be jumped on by some fans if he has a bad run of form. I will be very sruprised if he is the player he was last season tbh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports