Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Two different sources. And yes, very realiable.

Thing is, your average fan, doesn't see through the blue and white strips in front of him.

As an example, lets use Dale Stephens. He may be very happy here. BUT he has an agent, and as an agent, he will do all he can for his player( and with commission himself).

When you get a player who could play at the very highest level, all the top clubs will be looking at him and scouting him regularly. But where a player like Stephens (or other), who in time could fit in to a top Premiership side, or in one players case, tipped for International call ups, with all the will in the world, they are not going to get an England call up playing for Brighton in the Championship. The top sides, say Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, will be aware of them, but will not spend £10m plus as a rule, on a player without Premiership experience. So if a player goes to one of the relegation candidates; that move is better for their career, than staying at Brighton. They get a huge pay rise, and more importantly, they get Premiership experience. So, say if Stephens goes to Burnley, or Dunk to Sunderland or Hull, or Solly to Southampton and their team gets relegated, if they have done well, then one of the big boys, may come in for them. At the very worst, they will move back to the premiership with another mid-lower table side. If they don't stand out, they come back down with their new club, probably on top money.

Which is why when the likes of Stephens wants a move, it can be unfair to stand in their way. And if they club do it and block moves, then agents are aware of it, and therefore so are any new signings we try and make will be aware that the club will stand in the way of a big move.

Its a big gamble to hold onto a player who has a chance of premiership football, and can back fire badly on a Championship club who does it.

It's not as simple as saying, "well if he sticks with us, we will probably in the premiership next season anyway". It just doesn't work like that unfortunately.
It works both ways with agents as well.

I can't see Pritchard's agent ever being able to do a deal with the albion again.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It works both ways with agents as well.

I can't see Pritchard's agent ever being able to do a deal with the albion again.
What happens if a current Albion player has the same agent as Pritchard ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Thing is, your average fan, doesn't see through the blue and white strips in front of him.

As an example, lets use Dale Stephens. He may be very happy here. BUT he has an agent, and as an agent, he will do all he can for his player( and with commission himself).

When you get a player who could play at the very highest level, all the top clubs will be looking at him and scouting him regularly. But where a player like Stephens (or other), who in time could fit in to a top Premiership side, or in one players case, tipped for International call ups, with all the will in the world, they are not going to get an England call up playing for Brighton in the Championship. The top sides, say Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, will be aware of them, but will not spend £10m plus as a rule, on a player without Premiership experience. So if a player goes to one of the relegation candidates; that move is better for their career, than staying at Brighton. They get a huge pay rise, and more importantly, they get Premiership experience. So, say if Stephens goes to Burnley, or Dunk to Sunderland or Hull, or Solly to Southampton and their team gets relegated, if they have done well, then one of the big boys, may come in for them. At the very worst, they will move back to the premiership with another mid-lower table side. If they don't stand out, they come back down with their new club, probably on top money.

Which is why when the likes of Stephens wants a move, it can be unfair to stand in their way. And if they club do it and block moves, then agents are aware of it, and therefore so are any new signings we try and make will be aware that the club will stand in the way of a big move.

Its a big gamble to hold onto a player who has a chance of premiership football, and can back fire badly on a Championship club who does it.

It's not as simple as saying, "well if he sticks with us, we will probably in the premiership next season anyway". It just doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Burnley fans think they are signing Hendrick and Dale Stephens tomorrow.

I do not think all the Premier League club contracts are that enticing, not if they've got a relegation clause in them.

I think Dale Stephens is our most valuable player and he probably knows it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I actually like the way that you write in a lot of your posts. I also like the logic you use because it is very professional and I think well thought out and correct.

The only thing I would say is that in a couple of your posts you have made claims to one or two things, supposedly to have come from a really reliable source, that I know for a fact are NOT true. I don't say that they could not happen but they are NOT FACT OR SET IN STONE. The one that sticks out is that if Duffy was signed that Dunk will be going.

We all know that Dunk is subject to offers from a couple of Premiership clubs - That has been well reported and documented but no way was it guaranteed that Dunk would leave if we signed Duffy.

If Dunk leaves it is because he may want to leave but that is not guaranteed just because Duffy has been signed. I still think Dunk will stay but nothing in life is guaranteed whilst the transfer window is still open

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This pops up at the end of the Pokemon signing article on the Argus:

"Burnley have subsequently turned their attention back to Derby’s Jeff Hendrick. The Republic of Ireland international is expected to join them today in a club record £10.5 million deal."

Hendrick-2-Burnley-PLEASE

That one is done, hope that helps!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes that does help.

Now if you're after another central midfielder , we've got this fella called Ince................

Well, you may laugh and this is probably an indication of how fans of other clubs see their players but Ince has caught the eye of Derby fans a couple of times, always gets mentioned as a potential fill for that 'enforcer' role that people talk of.....

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Capture.JPG

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sorry but you've just described absolute basics of football that everyone should know. However 2 things:

1) We aren't a noddy lower league 1 side anymore - standing in the way of a 'dream move'. We were better than Hull last season, and things change quickly. We have every right to stand our ground - even more so if the fee isn't acceptable.

2) If fans have attitudes like yours no wonder players consider contracts worthless. You sign the contract, there is a chance you see it through. Players already have too much power - why bow to them and their scummy agents who just see the £s. They're on bloody good money as it is - the move has to be right for the club,

Just my opinion btw, happy to debate and not slag off like...

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Is the gamble here having both Stephens and Kayak out of contract next summer and potentially being of no value to the club if we don't go up. Of course we need to keep our best players in order to remain competitive however we could be in a position of recruiting two new players with no income from what we already have.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well, you may laugh and this is probably an indication of how fans of other clubs see their players but Ince has caught the eye of Derby fans a couple of times, always gets mentioned as a potential fill for that 'enforcer' role that people talk of.....

Actually, I rate him highly but like JFC, he is suited to a 5 man midfield in the role you have identified.

Is the gamble here having both Stephens and Kayak out of contract next summer and potentially being of no value to the club if we don't go up. Of course we need to keep our best players in order to remain competitive however we could be in a position of recruiting two new players with no income from what we already have.

Presumably TB has made that decision since it his money which is at risk.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Hendrick having a medical at Burnley is huge. Dramatically increases the chances of us keeping Dale.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

True but that will already be factored in to the club's calculations.

A truism I know but any opinion posted here will only represent a relatively small fraction of the whole picture, if even that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hull bid for Stephens yesterday though, so may come back in with another offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are simply too late now as there is no time left to get a replacement.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Brighton will have earned my admiration for holding on to Stephens - similarly, I hope we manage to hold on to Michael Keane despite Leicester's pressure.

Money is not everything.

All along, I would have preferred Stephens to Hendrick, but one of them would be better than NONE.....Hendrick is overpriced at £10 million, but I reckon £7 million for Stephens would have been worth paying in the long run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here