Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens - January

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
If Bloom was going to sell he would have done it in the summer.

I thought then that Bloom's bullish stance on transfers was correct and our present league position proves him right. I'm sure there is some sort of gentleman's agreement in place that either he'll be offered a new deal with us in the Prem, or be allowed a move to the Prem if we're not up.

If Burnley had made a sensible up front offer for DS, he would have been allowed to go but TB wasnt happy with their paltry insult of an offer boosted by add on clauses.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If Burnley had made a sensible up front offer for DS, he would have been allowed to go but TB wasnt happy with their paltry insult of an offer boosted by add on clauses.

I think they did get very close to meeting our valuation, but that was about 15 seconds before the window closed. Burnley seem to think it's like ebay were you put in a cheeky bid with 10 seconds remaining.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
that.....we need a quality striker and i mean quality....if we can jag a 20 goaler from somewhere then i can't see us not getting promoted.....our defence is rock solid with goldson , rosenior & bong as back up ....our midfield is solid with sidwell , march , kaz & kayal to come back ....if they are not going to let Hambo loose then we need to off load elvis and get a proper goalscorer in ....and by that i mean charlie austin or better......this is it boys ...it's ours to throw away.....i ****in love this club....XXXXX

:facepalm:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
If behind closed doors he's made it known that he has no intention of signing a new contract and will leave for free in the summer, is now the time to potentially cash in?

I think the first word of your post answers the question really?

What IF he hasn't?

Jan 10, 2014
Tony has publically said he's not for sale in January.

So he's staying.

He hasn't said that though, has he?

I thought that he said we don't 'have' to sell anyone?

Either way he surely will only be sold if you have someone lined up as a replacement and you get good money for Stephens where by you can pocket a good wedge of cash.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Either way he surely will only be sold if you have someone lined up as a replacement and you get good money for Stephens where by you can pocket a good wedge of cash.

He said we won't be selling anyone we don't want. Stephens falls into the don't want to category. Unless we're offered about 20 million where it's an outrageous amount of over pricing he'll still be here come February. We are so close to going up this year it makes zero sense to sell him. We already know he can pick himself up from a rejected transfer request.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

No, he has said that players will not be sold in January.

Usually he would then state that "every player has his price", but very, very tellingly not this time.

Of course ultra-silly money always wins, but no one would pay that for a player who is potentially free in 6 months time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Because 20 goals a season strikers don't come cheap and they're not readily available.

Because you refer to Kaz coming back when clearly he isn't in the plans.

Because you say we want someone like Charlie Austin. A player of that calibre is not cheap to buy and certainly not cheap to employ.

Other than that!!!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I feel he's been told to stay put for the remainder of his contract and if we fail to go up, he can leave. If we go up, the promise of a much more improved contract.

Sounds about right for me as well, he may even leave if we go up, if he gets a better offer.
At least we will be there even if he goes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We won't sell as TB has said so. Stephens will stay until the end of the season, then either sign a new PL contract with us if we're up, or someone else. Either way he'll get a big signing on fee. Only risk to him is an injury between now and then - any decent agent will have presumably suggested he insures himself against that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because 20 goals a season strikers don't come cheap and they're not readily available.

Because you say we want someone like Charlie Austin. A player of that calibre is not cheap to buy and certainly not cheap to employ.

Other than that!!!!

And is also ruled out for the next few weeks with his ongoing shoulder issue.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
We won't sell as TB has said so. Stephens will stay until the end of the season, then either sign a new PL contract with us if we're up, or someone else. Either way he'll get a big signing on fee. Only risk to him is an injury between now and then - any decent agent will have presumably suggested he insures himself against that.

TB did not say he wont sell, he said at Bristol, he won't sell anyone he doesn't want to sell. I read that as if the price is right even Stephens could go, especially if it did fund a goal scoring striker signing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
TB did not say he wont sell, he said at Bristol, he won't sell anyone he doesn't want to sell. I read that as if the price is right even Stephens could go, especially if it did fund a goal scoring striker signing.
Stephens would of course go for stellar ultra silly money but who'd pay £10 million+ for a player who'd be 'free' in 6 months ? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stephens would of course go for stellar ultra silly money but who'd pay £10 million+ for a player who'd be 'free' in 6 months ? ???
A team that doesn't feel it can stay in the Premier League without his skill set.

Begging the next question:-

If you were DS, would you want to sign for a Premier League club not certain of it's status 4 months later?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here