Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daily Mirror: Pulis poised for Brighton

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No one seriously believes this is going to happen do they?

- He could have a much better job than us
- He'd be very expensive
- It would fly in the face of the long term style we are trying to implant on the club
- The existing playing staff wouldn't suit him. How many 6ft+ players do we have that aren't goalkeepers or centre backs. He'd have to buy 8 or 9 players I reckon

So in short he wouldn't want to come, we probably don't want him to come and even if he did we'd either have to buy well or spend loads for him to be a success, which would likely be detrimental to the development of players that are the long term future of the club.

I genuinely thought when people started suggesting Pullis it was an extension of one of Ernest's ironic jokes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

- He'd be very expensive
- It would fly in the face of the long term style we are trying to implant on the club
- The existing playing staff wouldn't suit him. How many 6ft+ players do we have that aren't goalkeepers or centre backs. He'd have to buy 8 or 9 players I reckon

So in short he wouldn't want to come, we probably don't want him to come and even if he did we'd either have to buy well or spend loads for him to be a success, which would likely be detrimental to the development of players that are the long term future of the club.

I genuinely thought when people started suggesting Pullis it was an extension of one of Ernest's ironic jokes.

Clearly some do...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

no chance, its bullshit speculation, whether Brighton may or may not want him, even if they did, he'd never come as his stock is higher (PL manager of the year) than a championship relegation outfit, he'd want carte blanche with transfers and we've got Burke, he'd want more cash than FFP/Barber would allow.

And what about his poor Mrs, having survived her hubby's arguments with the curtain parting new romantic, now he'd be faced with the unholy trinity of Barber, Burke and Boom and no TV money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2733068/Tony-Pulis-reveals-Crystal-Palace-saga-end-38-year-marriage.html

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I just love how knee jerky football fans are as well. Here's how the prevailing winds of North Stand Chat have run in the last 18 months

GP was an egotisitical prick that played boring football that we are better off without. Get OG in which was greeted like a breath of fresh air on here due to the attacking football he was going to play.
OG runs successful side, that got better as the season went on last year, get to the playoffs was derided as too boring.
Bring SH in who for the first 2 months of the season plays the exciting football we were after and is rather unlucky that results start to suffer. Fans start to get fidgety on the league position, despite being given the more attacking football they demanded.
SH loses faith in his system, tighten things up (after the Cardiff game) leading ultimately to his sacking for poor performance, with the club in the relegation zone
Let's bring Tony Pullis in to undo everything put in place pre Hyypia and kick our way out the relegation zone. What happens at the end of the season?

Calm down, take stock, be rational. Bloom has made one poor managerial appointment and two good ones. I trust him to understand to balance what is needed in the short term here, without sacrificing the long term future of the club. IMO that isn't Tony Pulis.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I just love how knee jerky football fans are as well. Here's how the prevailing winds of North Stand Chat have run in the last 18 months

GP was an egotisitical prick that played boring football that we are better off without. Get OG in which was greeted like a breath of fresh air on here due to the attacking football he was going to play.
OG runs successful side, that got better as the season went on last year, get to the playoffs was derided as too boring.
Bring SH in who for the first 2 months of the season plays the exciting football we were after and is rather unlucky that results start to suffer. Fans start to get fidgety on the league position, despite being given the more attacking football they demanded.
SH loses faith in his system, tighten things up (after the Cardiff game) leading ultimately to his sacking for poor performance, with the club in the relegation zone
Let's bring Tony Pullis in to undo everything put in place pre Hyypia and kick our way out the relegation zone. What happens at the end of the season?

Calm down, take stock, be rational. Bloom has made one poor managerial appointment and two good ones. I trust him to understand to balance what is needed in the short term here, without sacrificing the long term future of the club. IMO that isn't Tony Pulis.
Maybe, but the opinions on each manager between fans were anything but universal and the Pulis speculation is down to a Mirror journo, not the fans.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Maybe, but the opinions on each manager between fans were anything but universal and the Pulis speculation is down to a Mirror journo, not the fans.

I know but it feels a bit like that on here. It's just one knee jerk to the next. We do need to change the manager now but you listen to some people on here ALL they ever want to do is change things. Change is very rarely an easy thing to effect in any workplace, why would football be any different?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

You make a fair point however, Poyet, OG and Hyppia were all brought by Bloom with an expectance of reasonable success, and whilst 2 delivered, 1 (for many different reasons that involve both him and others) has failed spectacularly. And we are where we are today

All things being equal and with a team on an upward trajectory, playing tippy tappy and with some time to bring in the right person, I've no doubt the club may look past Pulis for the reasons you make and go for someone else.

However, we're 2 weeks from the Jan window, have a clueless manager, a failed recruitment set up and are sleep walking into league 1, a much bigger disaster to the club than Tony Pulis past (of which its been successful in league positions if not best financial management). Which is cheaper? Tony Pulis urge to spend for 6 months or League 1. Who is available out there??

Maybe you have plans to do up your house,new kitchen, new furniture, add an extension, and you plan your finances accordingly, but when the unpredicted rains, flash flood the area and your house is 6 foot under water, or if a fire starts one night, you need a fireman to sort out the emergency you didn't see coming, those long term plans are abandoned temporarily in the interests of saving what you already have in the present emergency. What good is a visit from a new kitchen planner in such circumstances?

Saving our league position in the championship is the only thing that matters this season, and the club needs to do whatever it takes and to employ whomever they think can do that, playing whatever type of football. Then in the summer reassessments can be made and talk of the longer term may then again be reassessed, the past means nothing, what we actually do in the hear and now will affect the clubs league future, finances, season ticket numbers more than any notion of ideological ways of playing the game.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not entirely sure what's going on so without reading 16 pages, has anything concrete actually been confirmed or is it just because of one rumour in the mirror? (It's in the mirror so it must be true :lolol: )

Oh and didn't Pulis leave Palace because of something to do with transfers? Unless I've just imagined that in which case ignore me, but if that is the case I can't see us being his first choice can you.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011

- He'd be very expensive

Those are all the reasons WHY he should join us, too many bed wetted and accountants who follow this club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I thought Palace played some decent football under Pulis, his Stoke team could play a bit too (especially in his last couple of seasons there). I don't think he'd be necessarily a good fit for us, but I really don't mind his pragmatic approach to football.

He's got a sharp football brain, he knows the angles and his teams win.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm a bit late to this but I'd like to add there is no way on earth Pulis would come here. No chance. None.

This, but all the speculation and arguments for and against still beat carrying a load of the Mrs shopping bags around churchill square.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
You make a fair point however, Poyet, OG and Hyppia were all brought by Bloom with an expectance of reasonable success, and whilst 2 delivered, 1 (for many different reasons that involve both him and others) has failed spectacularly. And we are where we are today

All things being equal and with a team on an upward trajectory, playing tippy tappy and with some time to bring in the right person, I've no doubt the club may look past Pulis for the reasons you make and go for someone else.

However, we're 2 weeks from the Jan window, have a clueless manager, a failed recruitment set up and are sleep walking into league 1, a much bigger disaster to the club than Tony Pulis past (of which its been successful in league positions if not best financial management). Which is cheaper? Tony Pulis urge to spend for 6 months or League 1. Who is available out there??

Maybe you have plans to do up your house,new kitchen, new furniture, add an extension, and you plan your finances accordingly, but when the unpredicted rains, flash flood the area and your house is 6 foot under water, or if a fire starts one night, you need a fireman to sort out the emergency you didn't see coming, those long term plans are abandoned temporarily in the interests of saving what you already have in the present emergency. What good is a visit from a new kitchen planner in such circumstances?

Saving our league position in the championship is the only thing that matters this season, and the club needs to do whatever it takes and to employ whomever they think can do that, playing whatever type of football. Then in the summer reassessments can be made and talk of the longer term may then again be reassessed, the past means nothing, what we actually do in the hear and now will affect the clubs league future, finances, season ticket numbers more than any notion of ideological ways of playing the game.

Yep, short term contract for Pullis with a big bonus if he keeps us up. That is of course, assuming he wants the job.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm a bit late to this but I'd like to add there is no way on earth Pulis would come here. No chance. None.

I don't know about that. A contract until the end of the season would suit any manager out of work, and who wants a challenge. At the moment we are not in a position to discuss a 2 or 3 year deal, so a short term appointment would only apply in our current position.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I agree with everything you say but even if he would come, which he won't, our playing staff would be completely ill suited to his philosophy. I predict we'd end up in League One with a 40-50 odd member playing staff consisting of the remnants or Garcia's team, Hyypia's in's and 8 or 9 players that Pullis bought in the January window, that didn't gel and ultimately got us relegated.

Anyway, it's not going to happen. I need to get out of this thread!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here