Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daily Mirror: Pulis poised for Brighton

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm pretty sure Oscar Garcia had the players training in the afternoon, initially at least, because of his belief that with most games at 3pm, it made sense to train at a similar time of day. I can see the logic.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm pretty sure Oscar Garcia had the players training in the afternoon, initially at least, because of his belief that with most games at 3pm, it made sense to train at a similar time of day. I can see the logic.

That does make sense. But if the players were starting at 5pm it's neither here nor there unless it's a four hour session.

Dec 29, 2011

Training at 3PM every day on a regular basis is a bit different to training for a week or two at 5pm when the usual time is in the morning, as the article suggests.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Here's one from left field. Could it be the Ally Mccoists leaving date from Rangers has not been finalised because he's coming here?

Just a thought.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I would be VERY surprised if He came to you.
The Mirror have put 2 and 2 together ( out of work and lives nearby) and made a story.
He would want a MASSIVE salary and bonus, plus as others have said, he doesn't play the good brand of football that Brighton are known for. :rolleyes:

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
If this is true, could it be that Pulis would be coming on a six month fire-fighter contract? That way he'd have no problems with player recruitment. Salary plus performance related massive bonus if he keeps us up?

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Think it's a very different style of football, not saying better, but very different. Think Palace with respect have been a certain style over the years which meant that Pulis dovetailed into quite nicely, it would be a massive upheaval in my view and I quite like the style that Poyet installed which seems to be embedded into our youth teams who are doing very nicely.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Never thought I would ever welcome Pulis but I am genuinely pleased if this comes off. Goes to show how far and fast we have fallen. Forget the 5 year plan Bloom had of progression to the premiership this is now crisis management and Pulis is the perfect fit for what we need

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Also couldn't see Pulis working with Burke and Barber.
He constantly clashed with Parish over the playing budget.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

There is logic but I can't imagine pro footballers taking kindly to that idea especially given we've been so lacking in confidence.

One footballer i spoke to had no interest in signing for Stevenage because Westley sometimes makes them train all morning AND all afternoon. I'd love to have seen his reaction to a insipid manager suggesting a 5 pm training session to get an edge against Millwall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder what the total number of clubs Pullis will be linked with, from the start of this season to him finally taking a job?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The manager we need is the one that can keep us in the Championship this season - simples. Forget nurturing Poyet's style of football or finding a manager who excels in getting the best out of young lightweight short players - we need a fighter who excels in keeping teams up. Pulis is in that category but there are others.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tony Pulis is in the Harry Redknapp mould of thinking he's a gift to football. Walks out on Palace days before the season starts because the chairman can't give him the transfers he wants - because Pulis is bigger than little ol Palace and demands the 100's of millions he was allowed to squander at Stoke with maybe 1 youth team player coming through in his entire time there. Mark Hughes gone in and already has done better on a reduced budget.

Yeah ok he did well last season but what a mess he left and Warnock has done just as well.

We really don't need Tony Pulis here EVER. He might save us, but even given full transfer control with our budget and his ego he will leave us in a mess make no bones about it.

Two thoughts, a sensible one and a border line conspiracy theory. The first is that it would cost us a lot to buy Sami out of his contract. If we are going to have to do it there probably isn't a lot of FFP wriggle room to also poach another manager and whoever the new guy is he will have to be free immediately and probably willing to sign a short term contract. That man hasn't been found yet. Pulis could fit that bill the way Russell Slade did.

The more wacky theory is that Sami was appointed because of the criticism of Oscar's defensive football as a sort of "right, you wanted attacking football, here it is". Now that it hasn't worked Tony may be prepared to give us the experienced British manager some are calling for in order to prove once and for all that wouldn't work either and we'd be back to plan A in League One.

The second reason I really don't believe but it is the only other reason I can think of that Pulis would be asked to come here.

The analogy with Harry Redknapp is interesting though. When Spurs were in trouble with Ramos in charge, he was the man brought in to rescue them. Who brought him in? Paul Barber (instrumental in the deal according to a couple of sources).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here