Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Really don't understand why people think Stephens won't be going or should n't be going .....he will get more money and play in the premiership (even if it is for one year) so a major career advancement. If we are getting 7 million for him then we have to look on the bright side that we have produced a profit and move on. If we keep him against his will then whose to say he will be as good as he was last year.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't think you should have been drinking what with you being a Driver.

So by staying at a club that isn't in the Premier League rather than going to one that is, he'll have a better chance of playing in the Premier League the season after? HIC!

Why do you spend so much time on an opposing team's forum?

Ignoring that, I think it is fair to say (and most pundits and the bookies would probably agree) that the odds of Brighton being in the Premier League next season are higher than Burnley. We have a good chance of finishing in the top six this season and possibly even top two. You, on the other hand, are arguably weaker than last season. Players like Stephens are not the answer and you have nobody as good as Ings, who you had last time you went up. I think that gives you a very strong chance of going down. Doesn't mean you will but it is a good chance.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Meanwhile Sheffield Wednesday get another one of their KEY players to sign a contract extension.

This is why we will miss out on a top 2 again. Can't keep a squad together. Now we are light upfront,defence and midfield again..

Can't blame Bloom cashing in on Stephens but maybe he simply wasn't offered enough to stay?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Utter drivel.

Overly cautious, yes, with a certain wage structure but our market is top end Championship players at the moment.

The transfer fees are the easy bit, the 3/4/5 years of wages are another thing all together.

i was told from a very good source that when you were promoted last time the players wages doubled with a clause that after 1 year in the Championship it would revert back. so where does this 4/5 year plan figure on this. Obviously they havent gone back as you got promoted again. The same will no doubt happen next year when you are back in The Championship.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is why we will miss out on a top 2 again. Can't keep a squad together. Now we are light upfront,defence and midfield again..

Can't blame Bloom cashing in on Stephens but maybe he simply wasn't offered enough to stay?

Or maybe he wants to play in the Premier at this stage of his career

Jan 10, 2014
Norwood ISN'T Stephens' replacement! Suspect we will buy again IF Dale leaves.

Whether he is a direct replacement is up for debate, but what you can't be sure about is whether you can get someone else in even if you try (see Pritchard).

You've still got a decent midfield if Stephens does leave, so it's hardly the massive blow.

Jan 10, 2014
i was told from a very good source that when you were promoted last time the players wages doubled with a clausre that after 1 year in the Championship it would revert back. so where does this 4/5 year plan figure on this.

It figures in attracting the players that some on here think we should be buying for the Premier League.

See Bolton for not giving a shite on wages.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011

I have no doubt we can keep hold of our players BUT when one is in the last year of his contract and some club offer SEVEN million for him, AND he doesn't want to sign a new one then you have to let him go.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have no doubt we can keep hold of our players BUT when one is in the last year of his contract and some club offer SEVEN million for him, AND he doesn't want to sign a new one then you have to let him go.

Middlesboro kept there squad together last year and strengthened further. We haven't. That's the difference and why they went up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here