Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Could it be that the club have told him he can only leave if we get an offer of £10 million and his tweet was out of frustration at this? Maybe I've read too much into that but I do get the impression that he wants out...

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Could it be that the club have told him he can only leave if we get an offer of £10 million and his tweet was out of frustration at this? Maybe I've read too much into that but I do get the impression that he wants out...

Probably reading far too much into it but I thought exactly the same...

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think you are spot on. We seem to be playing hard ball and you can do if you have the nerve to stare it out with the threat that the player can walk away in 12 months for nothing. From well sourced rumours we knew a while back that Burnley were sniffing around and an assumption that Dale was interested in going....in fairness to him you can see the attraction, EPL football, quite a bit more money (for as long as Burnley stay in the top division) and a move closer to his family roots. However, this is like a stack of dominos.....show weakness and a lack of ambition to go up by letting him go and others would then follow as they perceive us as lacking ambition. So the Board are doing the right thing....reject everything, unless it's silly money that would let us bring in a stronger replacement. And silly money is £10m. So as it stands Dale, you better get on with it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Or another improvement on his contract offer.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Or another improvement on his contract offer.

I would not lose too much sleep if I was a Brighton fan.....I reckon both Stephens and Hendrick are both just "fall back" options for Burnley.

Dyche is trying to get Charlie Adam (player keen but Stoke won't sell until they get a replacement), Joe Ledley (Palace want a bit too much), Ashley Westwood (Villa wages too high) among others.....only if Dyche fails with all these main targets will he come back for Championship players like Stephens & Hendrick.

Being in the Championship is a "real pain".....we lost Kieran Trippier for a pathetic £3.5 million last summer because activated a release clause. He was prepared to stay if we had stayed up and now he struggles to get a regular game at Spurs.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Thought my clueless gimp post in the ref thread was on the money too. :kiss:

You will have to be more specific than that....i thought you called all of remain clueless gimps :lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would not lose too much sleep if I was a Brighton fan.....I reckon both Stephens and Hendrick are both just "fall back" options for Burnley.

Dyche is trying to get Charlie Adam (player keen but Stoke won't sell until they get a replacement), Joe Ledley (Palace want a bit too much), Ashley Westwood (Villa wages too high) among others.....only if Dyche fails with all these main targets will he come back for Championship players like Stephens & Hendrick.

If you think Charlie Adam is a better player than Dale Stephens then I wouldn't mind doing business with Burnley. They obviously have money to waste and don't know ''jack shit'' - Have you ever really watched Charlie Adam for 90 minutes in a match ? He has so many misplaced passed. Gets caught in possession with his team caught upfield............Yes the occasional goal from the half way line or the odd 40 yard pass on match of the day look great but they are not the norm

Being in the Championship is a "real pain".....we lost Kieran Trippier for a pathetic £3.5 million last summer because activated a release clause. He was prepared to stay if we had stayed up and now he struggles to get a regular game at Spurs.

Buy him back if he is that good...........He obviously isn't good enough for Spurs

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Buy him back if he is that good...........He obviously isn't good enough for Spurs

Our best player in 2013/14 promotion season and better than Ings. He had14 assists from right-back. Love to get him back at Burnley, but these top 4 clubs like Spurs & Chelsea love stockpiling players only to barely use them.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Our best player in 2013/14 promotion season and better than Ings. He had14 assists from right-back. Love to get him back at Burnley, but these top 4 clubs like Spurs & Chelsea love stockpiling players only to barely use them.

I don't doubt it..........However, do you really think a Brighton Football Forum is the place to air the woes of Kieran Trippier and the fact that Spurs and Chelsea are stockpiling players. I don't think many people on here care that much about something like that, since it affects Brighton football club not one jot. And I am sure when it does happen to Brighton it will be discussed here. So in the words of Catherine Tate's (Lauren) ''I ain't bothered''

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
If Stephens does want to return to the North and/or wants a shot at the Premier League, then I'm not sure £4m is too far away given he only has a year left.

He certainly holds most of the cards on this one.

Definitely this.

27 years old, close to or at his peak, this maybe his only definite chance of playing in the Premier League.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Definitely this.

27 years old, close to or at his peak, this maybe his only definite chance of playing in the Premier League.

Don't underestimate CH's persuasive powers in convincing him to stay, if he does indeed have an offer. Although I am not yet convinced there is anything on the table for him to consider but we can never know.

Stephens and Chris have an extremely good relationship and sometimes in football that's very important. I recall Linvoy Primus once saying to me. The Managers you work under are more important than the clubs you play for or the money you get paid. That's not the belief of every player but it is to some of them.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Our record of holding on to players that have been offered the chance to move the premiership is close to 0%. Who have we kept where an actual offer is on the table?

Ulloa, Bridcutt, Buckley all went. It is hard for a player, particularly of a certain age, to turn down the certainty of increasing their wages dramatically versus the possibility of it happening. Stephens is 27, if we miss out again next season he may never make it to the premiership. Will be very surprised if he doesn't go now that there is expressed interest in him.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Don't underestimate CH's persuasive powers in convincing him to stay, if he does indeed have an offer. Although I am not yet convinced there is anything on the table for him to consider but we can never know.

Stephens and Chris have an extremely good relationship and sometimes in football that's very important. I recall Linvoy Primus once saying to me. The Managers you work under are more important than the clubs you play for or the money you get paid. That's not the belief of every player but it is to some of them.

Agreed but the trouble is managers don't hang around at clubs that long these days. Hence some managers take not just training staff but a posse of players with them when they move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here