Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists - Toughest Hills of Brighton?

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Blimey well done.
When I was starting out I used to have a love/hate relationship with it.
I'd do it one week, but not the next, it had a real hoodo over me, I could never get it right.

Cobb Lane is another story though.
It's about 25%, I never no when it's coming, it's straight after a descent, so you're not pedalling, in the wrong gear, etc.
Did have my weight down and had high hopes for doing it, this year.
But personal stuff has seen me off the bike, and comfort eating, so I can kiss goodbye, for another year. :down:

Cobb Lane has got inside my head as well. Attempted it 5 times and been beaten everytime. It's done me before I start climbing.

Some of the Hills around the reservoir are steep but rideable. On the date of the Royal Wedding my friend and I rode Devils Dyke and down to the sea front, then up through Rottingdean to Falmer. As we got to the Downs Hotel Cross Roads, the lights were against us. Luckily due to the bank holiday the traffic was very light and we took a chance. If we had stopped, we would have struggled to get going again that’s for sure.
The big hill in Sussex that was supposed to be the limit that wasn’t that bad is Kidds Hill, out Crowborough was. All the cycling magazines refer to it as the wall. Ok it’s long and consistent but some of the others mentioned on here are much more difficult.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cobb Lane has got inside my head as well. Attempted it 5 times and been beaten everytime. It's done me before I start climbing.

Some of the Hills around the reservoir are steep but rideable. On the date of the Royal Wedding my friend and I rode Devils Dyke and down to the sea front, then up through Rottingdean to Falmer. As we got to the Downs Hotel Cross Roads, the lights were against us. Luckily due to the bank holiday the traffic was very light and we took a chance. If we had stopped, we would have struggled to get going again that’s for sure.
The big hill in Sussex that was supposed to be the limit that wasn’t that bad is Kidds Hill, out Crowborough was. All the cycling magazines refer to it as the wall. Ok it’s long and consistent but some of the others mentioned on here are much more difficult.
The Wall is nothing.
I'm no mountain goat, as Cobb Lane proves, but at the top of The Wall I said words to the effect of:-
'I hope The Wall isn't too much tougher than that'.

Harting Down is similar but with wider turns, to Ditchling, and probably a bit tougher.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I wouldn't have thought Wilson avenue is bad, last/top third of Bear road must be a killer. Bits of bexhill/cowley drive are steepas is shipleyroad. The Drove must be the worst.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Have recently done 2 and 3 to and from Albion games. 2 is harder than 3 which is a long crawl. The Beacon is the hardest, mainly because of the traffic trying to get round you. Used to do 5 and 6 a lot as a kid - not much in it. Clayton Hill is also a slog if you try to avoid the Beacon.

****Thread resurrection alert****

A couple of months ago I wanted to get to The Beacon without going up the beacon from the Hassocks side. So plumped for a wiggle through tracks down to Clayton, then up a path that led to Jack & Jill. I got 10 yards up it and got off, then spent 20 mins walking the mountain bike up a near bloody vertical wet, muddy and slippery field.

I thought I was going to die.

Last month, now I'm a little bit (and I stress a LITTLE BIT) fitter I chose to the tarmac Clayton Hill, it hurt, I'm glad mountain bikes have the super low range cogs otherwise I wouldn't have made it.

I usually try and stay on the big cog at the front but I must admit I had to drop to the small one. I had two left on that hill to go down to. And I'm glad I did.

I drive it regularly and have seen cyclists struggling on it which always worries me, especially as the traffic is much faster on that road. I also foolishly thought that the Jack & Jill turnoff was about half way up from the north side....

It ****ing isn't! It's almost at the top! and it gets ****ING STEEPER once you then turn into it.

I did make it though. Had a good rest at J&J then carried on, it's still a long way up to the Beacon from there though which surprised me.

Nothing will ever be as bad as being a kid and having to ride the whole of Balsdean Road in woodingdean on a Raleigh Lizard with a FULL Sunday morning paper bag round. Especially the bottom bit before I'd even got to my first drop on Bexhill Road.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I wouldn't have thought Wilson avenue is bad, last/top third of Bear road must be a killer. Bits of bexhill/cowley drive are steepas is shipleyroad. The Drove must be the worst.

Its worse than it looks Wilson avenue gets progressively steeper but Bear Road its worst part is right at the beginning and easy after that.

Thompson Road was always my nemesis as a kid growing up in Hollingdean but its not like you have to ever cycle up it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Its worse than it looks Wilson avenue gets progressively steeper but Bear Road its worst part is right at the beginning and easy after that.

Thompson Road was always my nemesis as a kid growing up in Hollingdean but its not like you have to ever cycle up it.
Bottom end of Wippingham Road - almost 45 degrees. Back in the day, Elm Grove no problem, but Wippingham Road ... and Bonchurch Road just about as bad.

How I survived my early years I don't know, but if Mum had slipped and let go of the pram in Wippingham Road, where we lived, I'd have been a goner!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Fully disagree, the hardest bit is the top third or so, from Tenantry Down Road.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The lower section of Wivelsfield Rd in Saltdean is a killer (15-20%). Once you get round the corner the gradient drops to about an average of 11% the rest of the way up. Only about 300yds long, but steep enough to make your legs scream all the way up.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
OK so it isn't one of the steepest but I managed to pop a hernia coming up Ditchling Road from the Level before the days of electricity!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Streat Bostal

Actually in Brighton?
Coldean Lane is worse than Bear Road IMO

Wilson Ave is a breeze.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Coldean Lane is horrible, in part because of the volume of traffic. I have to walk part of it these days, but will avoid it if at all possible.

As a teenager in the 70s I decided to cycle from Westdene to Eastbourne to watch the cricket. Coming back in the dark, cycling the A27 Lewes-Falmer pre-cycle path and then faced with Coldean Lane was a recurring subsequent nightmare.

PG

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd like to nominate King George VI Avenue ( otherwise known as Snakey Hill ) in Hove. Not too bad once you get to the top, but the bottom bit from Goldstone Crescent is really knackering!

I can't really help on roads with the steepest gradients in Brighton & Hove, and haven't mounted a bicycle in years, but l did struggle, ableit on foot, to make it to the top of Peacock Lane just recently, (from the London Road, alongside Withdean Park up towards Surrenden Road). Probably not very long, but took me nearly half an hour, and left me in a very sweaty state indeed. No pavements either, so had to dive into the bushes once or twice as traffic went past.

This thread, at nearly seven years old now, got me thinking though, how many of the posters on here are still posting on this site? Poyetry in Motion for instance, is he/she still with us? or did he/she change their name as threatened?

Be interesting tio find out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve cycled up Elm Grove, Bear Road, Withdean Road, Preston Drove, Beacon Hill (Ovingdean), Snakey Hill, etc, and nothing matches the hell of Copse Hill in Westdene.

I’d guessimate it to be 50% steeper than the competition.

Carshalton Seagull

May 18, 2004
Sompting
I’ve cycled up Elm Grove, Bear Road, Withdean Road, Preston Drove, Beacon Hill (Ovingdean), Snakey Hill, etc, and nothing matches the hell of Copse Hill in Westdene.

I’d guessimate it to be 50% steeper than the competition.

Having just moved back to Bramble Rise at the top of Copse Hill after 30 years away, I heartily contour. 5 minute stroll down to the local shop for a pint of milk but half an hour's acclimatisation half way home before tackling the summit

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
But not Lincoln.

The hill that leads up to Lincoln Cathedral is a bitch. Never cycled up it, but was based at RAF Cranwell in the early 80's and had to march up it in full No.1 uniform with rifle on Remembrance Sunday.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Fully disagree, the hardest bit is the top third or so, from Tenantry Down Road.

Its really not and not from the many many times I have climbed it but also from observing the world class cyclists struggling on the steep bottom part and then attacking at the top.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not cycled up it myself but watched the Tour de France come up Elm Grove a few years ago and even Chris Boardman had to get out of the saddle

I've cycled up Elm Grove (many years ago) but it was nowhere near as steep as the bottom end of Wippingham Road (thank gawd mum didn't let go of my pram going down towards Hartington Road!)
There was another road in Brighton (don't know its name, but Dad pointed it out to me) where there was a barrier half way down you had to go round it was so steep.
Round my area out of Stroud there are some very steep roads too - I remember once pulling up at a give way sign, and literally all I could see through the windscreen was sky! The local village post office and shop used a donkey for deliveries!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I can't really help on roads with the steepest gradients in Brighton & Hove, and haven't mounted a bicycle in years, but l did struggle, ableit on foot, to make it to the top of Peacock Lane just recently, (from the London Road, alongside Withdean Park up towards Surrenden Road). Probably not very long, but took me nearly half an hour, and left me in a very sweaty state indeed. No pavements either, so had to dive into the bushes once or twice as traffic went past.

It's a very pleasant stroll through the adjacent park, why walk up the road?

When we were at Withdean, I used to park at the top of Peacock, just out of the zone, so I will always associate that walk with Mickey Adams, Bobby Z and OGH.

Back on track, Westdene does have some proper hills. I grew up at the bottom of Fairview Rise and used to climb it from a standing start to cycle to BHASVIC 79-81. Copse Hill is steeper but shorter.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here