Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists in the road when there is a cycle lane

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If a car is parked somwhere where parking is not permitted (cycle lane or not) then a ticket is not unreasonable. If it's not against the law to park in cycle lanes, then a bit difficult to hand out parking tickets.

So if it's not against the law to park in cycle lanes, it begs the questions - why have the cycle lane there in the first place if they'll going to be clogged up with motorists parking in them? Isn't that a bit selfish on the part of the motorist? Shouldn't motorists, out of common courtesy, not park in cycle lanes?

Perhaps you could start a thread ranting about it? I won't bother personally as it doesn't bother me, as a cyclist and motorist, that much. Just wanted to add a bit of balance here.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If a car is parked somwhere where parking is not permitted (cycle lane or not) then a ticket is not unreasonable. If it's not against the law to park in cycle lanes, then a bit difficult to hand out parking tickets.

It's not against the law to be on the highway even if there is a cycle lane....

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
There is nothing in the Highway code that says cyclists shouldn't ride 2 abreast. In fact in a lot of ways it's safer as rather than motorists trying to squeeze past, they have to overtake giving a clear amount of space. You'd have to do the same for a milk float, or a horse, or any other slow users on the highway.

How much time did this actually cost you in your precious day, did you miss 45 seconds of being able to post on NSC!!??

Also in a group it is also better to cycle 2 abreast. If 10 rides are strung out single file a driver has probably 30m or so to overtake, 2 abreast you are only overtaking 15m making it easier.

Cyclists need to ride defensively on the highway in my opinion as there are too many impatient idiots like goldstone on the road. Always make a car wait for an appropriate amount of space to overtake rather than giving them the opportunity to squeeze through.

122 cyclist killed on British roads last year, a 5 year high. Not good enough.

THIS... Some of the topics that people post on NSC absolutely baffles me...

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Dare I mention Lewes Road, millions of pounds being spent, wide cycle lanes, fancy bus stops where bikes can go behind them, while I appreciate its not all finished yet every day I see cyclists using the pavement on the bits where the cycle lane has been completed.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Dare I mention Lewes Road, millions of pounds being spent, wide cycle lanes, fancy bus stops where bikes can go behind them, while I appreciate its not all finished yet every day I see cyclists using the pavement on the bits where the cycle lane has been completed.

Kind'a confirms the point I have been making. There are a whole lot of very inconsiderate cyclists out there. Also, I hasten to add, a whole lot of inconsiderate drivers.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've used them on journeys to the Amex. However there are one or two bus passengers jumping off buses with their ipod's on or texting that I've nearly hit. One girl I just saw about to step in front of me who I shouted at so loud that she jumped about 10ft in the air. She blushed, I smiled as I had saved her getting flattened. She'll be looking in future, but people getting off the buses have seriously got to get used to looking for bikes now.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
A strip of tarmac goes into the pub and orders a pint. After serving him, the barman asks if he wants to join his mate in the corner. Sitting in the corner is a strip of red tarmac. The strip of tarmac shakes his head violently: "I'm not going near him" it says, "he's a cyclepath!"

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kind'a confirms the point I have been making. There are a whole lot of very inconsiderate cyclists out there. Also, I hasten to add, a whole lot of inconsiderate drivers.

And there you have it in a nutshell. Remembering of course that a large majority of cyclists are also motorists too.

Surely it's thread closed now and.....relax :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is nothing in the Highway code that says cyclists shouldn't ride 2 abreast. In fact in a lot of ways it's safer as rather than motorists trying to squeeze past, they have to overtake giving a clear amount of space. You'd have to do the same for a milk float, or a horse, or any other slow users on the highway.

How much time did this actually cost you in your precious day, did you miss 45 seconds of being able to post on NSC!!??

Also in a group it is also better to cycle 2 abreast. If 10 rides are strung out single file a driver has probably 30m or so to overtake, 2 abreast you are only overtaking 15m making it easier.

Cyclists need to ride defensively on the highway in my opinion as there are too many impatient idiots like goldstone on the road. Always make a car wait for an appropriate amount of space to overtake rather than giving them the opportunity to squeeze through.

122 cyclist killed on British roads last year, a 5 year high. Not good enough.

It doesn't say anything in the Highway Code about bicycles not cycling in the middle of the road either, but thats (generally) not the done thing because its inconsiderate and obstructive to faster moving traffic that wants to get past and not be stuck at 20mph. And slow-moving milk floats / horses are what they are - unlike the chit-chat riders, they're not *choosing* to deliberately double their width and hold up the traffic behind.

There is ample room on most roads to pass a cyclist ridng in single file safely. Thats not the case when they're riding along next to each other, as it becomes necessary to go well over onto the other side of the road to overtake - which is not always easy when there are constant streams of traffic coming in both directions.

I have no problem with cyclists per-sé, but this two-abreast cycling is for the most part just inconsiderate. In my opinion, like.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
While I am on cyclists side, they must realise that the road is a very dangerous place. It is deadly in a heavily protected car, it is especially deadly in spandex on a carbon fibre frame next o lethal cars going at 30-70mph. The rules of probablility dictate some of you will get killed, quite horribly. As long as you can accept those probabilities then take your chances as long as you understand you may die horrifically.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
While I am on cyclists side, they must realise that the road is a very dangerous place. It is deadly in a heavily protected car, it is especially deadly in spandex on a carbon fibre frame next o lethal cars going at 30-70mph. The rules of probablility dictate some of you will get killed, quite horribly. As long as you can accept those probabilities then take your chances as long as you understand you may die horrifically.

Christ you're a barrel of optimism aren’t you!! Now I'm going to die on my way home from work under a Ford Ka front wheel...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton

Clothes line them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Christ you're a barrel of optimism aren’t you!! Now I'm going to die on my way home from work under a Ford Ka front wheel...

I have no problem with a pretty lady hopping side saddle onto her push bike to run into town for a cream fancy.
These Spandex clad wankers aiming to 'take back the roads' need to get laid.
I once saw a cyclist wearing a spandex top that had this written on the back "IF YOU CAN READ THIS SOMEONE HAS STOLEN MY REHYDRATION PACK". Awful.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It is fun in this weather riding to and from work doing 20-25mph in the cycle lane between the piers! :wink:

To be honest, I don't do this, I would much rather take it easy and take in the sights, if you know what I mean.. :thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If there's one thing that annoys me (actually there are thousands of things that annoy me of which this is but one!), it is cyclists who insist in using the road when there is a perfectly good cycle path.

The cycle path is for cyclists (hence the name) so fricking use it when it's there and stop snarling up the traffic for us car drivers.

I usually give such morons a blast on my horn as I sail past and get a one or two finger salute in response. At least I'm getting my message across.

Totally agree. There has even been a programme devoted to glorifying this very thing every evening on ITV4 at 7pm for the last couple of weeks. Makes my blood boil!

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I have no problem with a pretty lady hopping side saddle onto her push bike to run into town for a cream fancy.
These Spandex clad wankers aiming to 'take back the roads' need to get laid.
I once saw a cyclist wearing a spandex top that had this written on the back "IF YOU CAN READ THIS SOMEONE HAS STOLEN MY REHYDRATION PACK". Awful.

Wow its been a while for you hasn't it... don't give up all hope lad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here