Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling World Championships

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The Manx missile is surrounded by the greatest collection of British superstars ever seen. High hopes but is it slipping away?

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
It's hotting up, we've worked so hard all day completely alone. It's time for Wiggins and Millar to step forward. If this doesn't turn you onto cycling nothing will

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Uphill finish not to Cav's style.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Knighthoods. Nothing less for this.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
OK, I eat my words! Well done Mark!

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Cav is so praising of his team mates and recognises how much effort and support they give him.

He may be arrogant at times, but is so appreciative of his team.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Repeating time and again how this is a team effort. 3 long years in the making, even riders who didn't make the final 8 worked so that we had a full team. Knighthoods.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Amazing girls on stage. Must go to Denmark at some point

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
That was fugging amazing. The final hour was completely gripping. Brilliant team job by GB to reel back in all the attacks to guarantee a sprint finish. Cav showed a week ago that he just needs to be there or thereabouts when the sprint begins, so not having a train at the end wasn't disastrous. He'll wear that jersey with so much pride. I'm still buzzing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He may be arrogant at times, but is so appreciative of his team.
He's not arrogant, he just wants to win.
I doubt many other nations would call him arrogant, it a fine line that we Brits fall the wrong side of.

That all happened exactly how I called it last week :lol:

Well done Cav and the other superstars.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
The irony is he'll get sports personality this year but isn't even anywhere near the best cyclist in this country. The selflessness of the others to literally give this to him is incredibly admirable because it's not even as if GB won. He gets all the plaudits and wears the jersey alone all year. It's the behind-the-scenes workers in sport that I love, the Millars,Thomas's,Bridcutts etc

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Don't get me wrong, I mean he is arrogant in a good way. He has to be arrogant to maintain the strong position in world cycling he holds. The other sprinters are in fear of him even before a race/stage that has a sprint finish has started.

I would never knock Cav, being a local and me being an adopted Manxie having spent more than half my life living on the Island and I used to race time trails against Mark when he was in his early to mid teens.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
The irony is he'll get sports personality this year but isn't even anywhere near the best cyclist in this country. The selflessness of the others to literally give this to him is incredibly admirable because it's not even as if GB won. He gets all the plaudits and wears the jersey alone all year. It's the behind-the-scenes workers in sport that I love, the Millars,Thomas's,Bridcutts etc

Hang on, he's the best in the world at one important aspect of the sport. And it's an aspect that gets you stage wins and (in this rare case, due to a flattish course) a world championship. He doesn't denigrate the others who played a massive part in his success, neither do those who praise him. And the fact it's a team effort doesn't meant he doesn't deserve SPOTY. In fact, it'd be great for cycling if he did win it, and fitting that he'd be following in Simpson's shoes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame some soccerballist will not get caught in a tabloid sting, or perhaps help an old lady over the road, and will win hands down.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Immense effort from all GB team and Wiggins in particular for the last couple of laps (especially after his efforts in The Veulta), brilliant sprint by Cav to win - love the way the cycling profile keeps rising, time the jurnos realized this is something we are actually world class at.:D

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Immense effort from all GB team and Wiggins in particular for the last couple of laps (especially after his efforts in The Veulta), brilliant sprint by Cav to win - love the way the cycling profile keeps rising, time the jurnos realized this is something we are actually world class at.:D

The profile not rising enough to usurp F1 from the main channels though. To think this historic display was only important enough to the BBC to be given red button status. Disgusting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here