Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This is Moto we're talking about here, Sussex Fortnight could be something very different.
That's just the first thing google coughed up.

Nah, that's a tiny bit of a 20 minute programme I found on an obscure channel. Well worth watching the longer (but seemingly incomplete) version if you can.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1155405358602555393[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Call me a bad loser, but the minute Pinot abandoned I lost interest in this race as it all became inevitable after that.

My only consolation was seeing Alaphillipe finally cracking in the mountains. Not because I don't like him, the exact opposite in fact. He's up there with Sagan as one of my all time favourite riders. Him cracking meant that his brilliant tour was believable as things restored to where they should be for the type of rider he is.

I haven't enjoyed the final outcome, and it all ended up as a bit of a damp squib, but I have really enjoyed this tour for the most part. It really has been the best edition in many a year!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Call me a bad lose.

No, I won't.

I felt sad for JA when he lost yellow even though I wanted Gerty to overhaul him.

Winning the Tour of France at 22 is not on. Its a shame the weather interfered but the winner fully deserved it. He was superb.

Pleased for Caleb. He seems a decent fella. For a short arse.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They've got Bernal and Sivakov. Probably sign up Remco Evenepoel and Tadej Pogačar next and then that's the next ten years of TdF's sorted as well.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
They've got Bernal and Sivakov. Probably sign up Remco Evenepoel and Tadej Pogačar next and then that's the next ten years of TdF's sorted as well.

I get your drift. If Froome hadn't done the sort of thing I'd have done they'd have locked out the podium.

I was even a bit pleased for Nibali that he took a stage and I think he's a tit. I'm getting soft.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I get your drift. If Froome hadn't done the sort of thing I'd have done they'd have locked out the podium.

I was even a bit pleased for Nibali that he took a stage and I think he's a tit. I'm getting soft.

All that said, Egan Bernal comes across as a lovely lovely bloke and I'm pleased for him as an individual. I think G is great fun and I've always quite liked Froome.

I think it's just dominance and the manner in which that team usually win that I don't like. Oh, and Brailsford. The more I see of that bloke the less I like him.

P.S. Just finished watching everything back. Nice touch Bernal thanking Italy as well, presumably for his time with Androni. Seems very grounded.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All that said, Egan Bernal comes across as a lovely lovely bloke and I'm pleased for him as an individual. I think G is great fun and I've always quite liked Froome.

I think it's just dominance and the manner in which that team usually win that I don't like. Oh, and Brailsford. The more I see of that bloke the less I like him.

Ineos didn't win a single stage, had to chase multiple threats, eventually winning their first yellow jersey on the penultimate stage.
Hardly following a formula.

You must really HATE Lotto-Jumbo and the way they went about this tour :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ineos didn't win a single stage, had to chase multiple threats, eventually winning their first yellow jersey on the penultimate stage.
Hardly following a formula.

You must really HATE Lotto-Jumbo and the way they went about this tour :lol:

I think you missed the word 'usually' in my post :wink:

And the fact that I said it's been the best tour in years :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you missed the word 'usually' in my post :wink:

And the fact that I said it's been the best tour in years :thumbsup:

Someone wants their cake and eat it?

You can't have it all ways.

You can't really like the race, the winner, the style of win and call it a damp squib.

People might think your a sore loser. :kiss:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

You can't really like the race, the winner, the style of win and call it a damp squib.

But it was a damp squib finish. Mainly because the GC rider most likely to animate the race and make a real contest of it had to abandon.And then because of the weather unfortunately ruining the last two meaningful stages.

Up until that point it had been a brilliant race, and yes, Egan Bernal does seem like a genuinely lovely bloke.

So I am having my cake... And eating it :kiss:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Very arrogant of you. The race was spoiled that is the reason for the damp squib comment because it was. Who knows how it would have panned out with the two full alp stages, maybe even simon in the polkadots.

Despite that you would have to be very cold or an idiot not to have enjoyed this years tour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But it was a damp squib finish. Mainly because the GC rider most likely to animate the race and make a real contest of it had to abandon.And then because of the weather unfortunately ruining the last two meaningful stages.

Up until that point it had been a brilliant race, and yes, Egan Bernal does seem like a genuinely lovely bloke.

So I am having my cake... And eating it :kiss:
Like it or not Pinot was always doomed to failure (as Pantini said 'the moment you put him on your avatar! ).
At some point he'd have Quintanad one of the stages, deep down I'm sure you know that.

Were it not for the weather Ineos would have had their procession and Bernal would have won by 3 or 4 minutes.

But on a brighter note, if rumours are to be believed you'll not have to endure Brailsford at the tour for much longer, if ever again.
He's possibly taking on a position of 'Team Ineos Sport Head Honcho' overseeing all of Ineos' sporting teams, cycling, sailing, football et al.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Like it or not Pinot was always doomed to failure (as Pantini said 'the moment you put him on your avatar! ).
At some point he'd have Quintanad one of the stages, deep down I'm sure you know that.

Were it not for the weather Ineos would have had their procession and Bernal would have won by 3 or 4 minutes.

But on a brighter note, if rumours are to be believed you'll not have to endure Brailsford at the tour for much longer, if ever again.
He's possibly taking on a position of 'Team Ineos Sport Head Honcho' overseeing all of Ineos' sporting teams, cycling, sailing, football et al.

I know what you're saying about Pinot....everyone thinks he's another Richie Porte. Always got a bad day in the mountains or an unfortunate incident in him and so will never win a GT. But let's go over the facts I noted going into this race:

* No Demare there. Entire team devoted to GC.
* Kung brought in for the TTT and in Gaudu a first class mountain dom.
* His ITT better than ever.
* GC rivals....G massively under cooked and a 22 year old. Where's the other threat coming from?
* Going better than I've seen in a long time. His preperation was timed perfectly. I watched the French National RR. His solo effort there, ultimately fruitless, was amazing.

Now let's see what actually happened in the race:

* Had his bad day on stage 10
* Made every opportunity he had to animate the race count.
* Clawed back most of his stage 10 losses.
* Alaphiliipe conveniently taking some of the media pressure and attention away from him.
* Perfectly executed team tatics throughout.
* Expected losses truly limited on ITT and TTT.

If after all that you still think Ineos run away with it with Pinot still in the race then you were watching a different race to me. Where I do agree is that ultimately the weather and resulting cut stages had little bearing on the final GC, but that was because Pinot was already out. Once he was out an Ineos procession was inevitable. For all Jumbo Visma's strength, they were always going to be content with a podium spot unfortunately, especially with Bora and Buchmann breathing down their necks.

As for my avatar. I will be keeping that and be proud of it for a long time to come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another Porte - I never said he was that bad. :lol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It happens at Le Tour, but you cannot help but reflect the most exciting end to a tour in sometime was denied us by Pinot's injury and the weather. Still a brilliant race.

I find it hard to imagine that already 20' behind Bernal going into stage 19, that Pinot was going to live with the form Bernal had to the summit of L'Iseran. He may have been close though and without his injury and weather, we have been denied the closest Tour finish in many a year.

The frightening thing now is how to stop this continued domination of the race by a single team? Suddenly they've gone from dominating elder statesman to the youngest winner of the race in over a century.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It happens at Le Tour, but you cannot help but reflect the most exciting end to a tour in sometime was denied us by Pinot's injury and the weather. Still a brilliant race.

I find it hard to imagine that already 20' behind Bernal going into stage 19, that Pinot was going to live with the form Bernal had to the summit of L'Iseran. He may have been close though and without his injury and weather, we have been denied the closest Tour finish in many a year.

The frightening thing now is how to stop this continued domination of the race by a single team? Suddenly they've gone from dominating elder statesman to the youngest winner of the race in over a century.

But as said to 10, they didn't dominate the race, they just happened to end up with the winner in a game of 'last man standing'.
There's no reason not to think Jumbo, esp with Tommy D, couldn't run them still closer.
Imagine what Movistar could have done in this race if they rode as a team?

Prudhomme has always wanted more Plank of the Pretty Chicks climbs, the high Alps have just burned the Tour and he has 3 riders in the shape of Julian Alan & Philip who'd kill for a 'lumpy' parcours.

We know he wants to mix up the route, we know he just can't, but he's not going to get a better opportunity than now to blow the thing up.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
[SUB][/SUB]My daughter’s bike ready for the start of racing today in Assen, this is the last year she will be able to compete in the European Junior tour, as she will be to old next year.

It is a cool looking bike

D9C478ED-9653-4C6C-9DB2-3F482202B55C.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here