West west west Sussex
Roll on La Vuelta!!

Let's not get silly.

Longeststraight0.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But as said to 10, they didn't dominate the race, they just happened to end up with the winner in a game of 'last man standing'.
There's no reason not to think Jumbo, esp with Tommy D, couldn't run them still closer.
Imagine what Movistar could have done in this race if they rode as a team?

Prudhomme has always wanted more Plank of the Pretty Chicks climbs, the high Alps have just burned the Tour and he has 3 riders in the shape of Julian Alan & Philip who'd kill for a 'lumpy' parcours.

We know he wants to mix up the route, we know he just can't, but he's not going to get a better opportunity than now to blow the thing up.

They may not have dominated this particular edition of the race, but they are dominating 'The' race.

To think they lost their no.1 leader to a horrendous crash. That their no.2 also had a disrupted build up with a nasty crash. AND yet they still won with their defacto no.3 and finished first and second. While it looks a close race, step back and you cannot but feel Bernal had simply saved himself for L'Iseran (even without Pinot dropping out and the weather) it simply went to plan. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[SUB][/SUB]My daughter’s bike ready for the start of racing today in Assen, this is the last year she will be able to compete in the European Junior tour, as she will be to old next year.

It is a cool looking bike

View attachment 113570

I reckon even I could go fast on that! Lovely looking machine, and good luck to your daughter. What a great experience.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They may not have dominated this particular edition of the race, but they are dominating 'The' race.

To think they lost their no.1 leader to a horrendous crash. That their no.2 also had a disrupted build up with a nasty crash. AND yet they still won with their defacto no.3 and finished first and second. While it looks a close race, step back and you cannot but feel Bernal had simply saved himself for L'Iseran (even without Pinot dropping out and the weather) it simply went to plan. :shrug:

Yeah it deffo went to plan.
G had 101 opportunities to say words to the effect of 'we could have gone away together' yet he never did, so I'm not sure Bernal was the defacto nos 3, and that's only the second time G has finished a Grand Tour in the top 10.

Tim Kerrison said Froome won his first tour on fumes and they vowed never to let that happen again, which they clearly didn't.

If IF the Grand Tours continue with their belief that 'higher is better' seemingly Egan will just say 'thank you very much, see you on top of the podium in 3 weeks time'.

Again I'm comforted by the fact we appeared to be watching clean racing.
5-10 riders all riding to the very extreme of natural fitness, seemingly place of birth had a lot to do with this win.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah it deffo went to plan.
G had 101 opportunities to say words to the effect of 'we could have gone away together' yet he never did, so I'm not sure Bernal was the defacto nos 3, and that's only the second time G has finished a Grand Tour in the top 10.

Tim Kerrison said Froome won his first tour on fumes and they vowed never to let that happen again, which they clearly didn't.

If IF the Grand Tours continue with their belief that 'higher is better' seemingly Egan will just say 'thank you very much, see you on top of the podium in 3 weeks time'.

Again I'm comforted by the fact we appeared to be watching clean racing.
5-10 riders all riding to the very extreme of natural fitness, seemingly place of birth had a lot to do with this win.

Completely agree. I say defacto no.3 as at the start of the year he probably was given his youth and inexperience in the race, and even Brailsford at his most chillingly cold eyed planning wouldn't have placed the reigning champion as third in the team.

Agree with something I heard yesterday that Thomas knew his chance was in the individual TT and he went into the red and then some to win that stage, which ultimately he blow up toward the end, and it cost him time on the Tourmalet the following day. Once that happened, I think he probably knew it was Bernal's to lose.

Maybe, as per 2012, 3 individual time trials are in order.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't often venture here (I'm normally found on two legs and in the Official Running Thread), but went over to Eastbourne for the Beachy Head Road Sportive yesterday. Great fun for 50 miles (a lot more hills than I was expecting), but the last 13 had me digging deep. Probably something to do with having been out on the bike about twice since September :lol:

Great event, as part of the whole Eastbourne festival and with plenty of other stuff going on. Also gave me a shove to get out on the bike a bit more, too...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't often venture here (I'm normally found on two legs and in the Official Running Thread), but went over to Eastbourne for the Beachy Head Road Sportive yesterday. Great fun for 50 miles (a lot more hills than I was expecting), but the last 13 had me digging deep. Probably something to do with having been out on the bike about twice since September :lol:

Great event, as part of the whole Eastbourne festival and with plenty of other stuff going on. Also gave me a shove to get out on the bike a bit more, too...

Henley's Hill up to Brightling looks like fun!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Im not surprised you struggled on this thing....:wink:

IMG_20190728_182541_035.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
We were down there for yesterdays events - although all the main crit racing was on Saturday which was a shame.
Great afternoon sitting in the sun, and Fignon Jnr & me went out for a few laps when they opened up the circuit for the Lets Ride event :)

20190728_121717 (480x640).jpg
20190728_121903 (640x480).jpg
IMG_20190728_174338_998 (640x640).jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

The Sportive results & standings are up on the official ECF website now if youre interested to see where you finished!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess not talking Cav didn't quite pay off for Dimension Data:-

Tour de France 2019 final prize money
Team Sky €779,200
Jumbo-Visma €203,400
Deceuninck – Quick-Step €189,940
Bora-Hansgrohe €159,050
Lotto-Soudal €134,760
Movistar €132,470
Trek-Segafredo €81,590
Mitchelton-Scott €76,520
Bahrain-Merida €71,890
Groupama-FDJ €60,200
Ag2r La Mondiale €55,140
EF Education First €41,710
Wanty-Gobert €34,940
Sunweb €31,310
CCC €27,250
Astana €24,250
UAE Team Emirates €22,930
Arkéa-Samsic €22,800
Cofidis €21,170
Dimension Data €19,300
Katusha-Alpecin €18,220
Total Direct Energie €17,760

Seemingly 12 teams earned less in 3 weeks slugging around France than Lewis Dunk et al picked up last week after a bit of pre-season training.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Sportive results & standings are up on the official ECF website now if youre interested to see where you finished!

Well I wasn't last... Thanks for the heads-up, I was wondering when they were going to appear.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I guess not talking Cav didn't quite pay off for Dimension Data:-

Tour de France 2019 final prize money
Team Sky €779,200
Jumbo-Visma €203,400
Deceuninck – Quick-Step €189,940
Bora-Hansgrohe €159,050
Lotto-Soudal €134,760
Movistar €132,470
Trek-Segafredo €81,590
Mitchelton-Scott €76,520
Bahrain-Merida €71,890
Groupama-FDJ €60,200
Ag2r La Mondiale €55,140
EF Education First €41,710
Wanty-Gobert €34,940
Sunweb €31,310
CCC €27,250
Astana €24,250
UAE Team Emirates €22,930
Arkéa-Samsic €22,800
Cofidis €21,170
Dimension Data €19,300
Katusha-Alpecin €18,220
Total Direct Energie €17,760

Seemingly 12 teams earned less in 3 weeks slugging around France than Lewis Dunk et al picked up last week after a bit of pre-season training.

Really thought Astana would be up there this July with the season they've had so far - but it all turned into a bit of a washout for them after Fuglsang crashed on the first stage.
With that paltry amount earned by Katusha you can see why Alpecin are moving on (& possibly Canyon)...will take some effort to keep their status for next year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I wasn't last... Thanks for the heads-up, I was wondering when they were going to appear.

and, pray tell, what make of steed is it that only gets an annual trip outdoors?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here