Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes it's from the local Giant shop but haven't a clue about specs so my theory is but expensive and it'll be high spec. I hope I buy the right one :(

Hmmm, I wish I owned a bike shop near you.
If you have a wad of cash you owe it to yourself to do some homework.
The sagest advise you've had so far is from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION].

The 'usual' genesis of a roadie goes something like this:-

- Buy entry level aluminium bike.
- Enjoy riding.
- Get jealous.
- Enjoy riding
- Buy £1k + bike, use first bike as a 'hack'.
- Enjoy riding.
- Want new bike.

Repeat until you stop wanting another bike but be warned that will NEVER happen.

You seem to be starting 3 bikes into the process.
Which is fantastic, lucky you, but as said at the beginning you ought to do some homework.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
ITV4 8pm.

Oooh you little beauty Moto! :kiss:

I'd completely forgotten ITV4 are showing the Dauphine. Saves just catching what I can after work from dodgy Eurosport streams. And no Carlton Kirby either... every one's a winner! :clap:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

I'd completely forgotten ITV4 are showing the Dauphine. Saves just catching what I can after work from dodgy Eurosport streams. And no Carlton Kirby either... every one's a winner! :clap:

Gerrans will be hoping he gets edited out. They used him to show the evilness of the worst bit of the climb.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Oh no, you've clapped too soon.

As much as i enjoy Friebe he, like everybody else, is not Matt Barking Mad Rendall.

Were MR holding the mic the cameraman would be panning up the road to Froome with Matt running next to him asking questions about salsa dancing.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'll pop in tomorrow and ask if I can take some out for a test ride then find another dealer. The disadvantage of not knowing anyone who rides is an hindrance as I've got to rely on the shops and I often feel they are after a sell rather than what's best for you.

Is it the Giant shop in Shoreham? They are usually pretty honest.

South Down Bikes are also excellent, and I swear by Rayments who I have been using for years.

Depending on where you are, others will be able to recommend reliable places. Your LBS ( local bike shop) is a very important choice to make, and the right one will stay with you for a long time.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'll pop in tomorrow and ask if I can take some out for a test ride then find another dealer. The disadvantage of not knowing anyone who rides is an hindrance as I've got to rely on the shops and I often feel they are after a sell rather than what's best for you.

As others have said definitely try as many bikes as you can before taking the plunge. A day trip to Brighton will give you Rayments, Baker Street Bikes, Sydney Street Bikes (or whatever they are called now) and Evans. That should allow you to try loads of bikes in a day to get an idea of what you like.

I would suggest if you are coming from a mountain bike background you may want something with a more relaxed geometry than the Propel. That is a serious race bike that will have a particularly aggressive position, especially when you have been used to the more upright position on an mtb. I may be wrong though, you will know what is right for you after trying lots of different bikes. One will just have that undefinable something when you get on it.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The 'usual' genesis of a roadie goes something like this:-

- Buy entry level aluminium bike.
- Enjoy riding.
- Get jealous.
- Enjoy riding
- Buy £1k + bike, use first bike as a 'hack'.
- Enjoy riding.
- Want new bike.

I'm finding myself, how can I put it, 'road bike curious' mainly because, on my current 'rest days' I take my MTB bike for a 15 mile road spin. In fact, I've just come in from one now. The ease with which those on road bikes fly past me, seemingly putting little effort in, is starting to annoy me a little. And then there's the envy I get when I look at Strava segment times.

I wouldn't want to spend too much money, but is it possible to get something worth riding for, say, £300-£400?

(I'll add that if I do take this option, I'm still never wearing ****ing lycra)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm finding myself, how can I put it, 'road bike curious' mainly because, on my current 'rest days' I take my MTB bike for a 15 mile road spin. In fact, I've just come in from one now. The ease with which those on road bikes fly past me, seemingly putting little effort in, is starting to annoy me a little. And then there's the envy I get when I look at Strava segment times.

I wouldn't want to spend too much money, but is it possible to get something worth riding for, say, £300-£400?

Right let's get one thing straight from the start, if your 'curiosity' gets the better of you, at some point:-

YOU WILL END UP IN LYCRA.

Deal with it, get used to it, own it, wear it.

Yep £300 - £400 is the perfect and usual start off point.

Many, if not all, of the major brands look to start their ranges around £500.
So you'd need to shop around to get one of those in budget.
For instance this Cannondale is the cheapest at Evans:-

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-synapse-alloy-claris-2015-road-bike-EV214047

There's plenty of 'best for under £500' guides like
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/176682-best-road-bike-bargains-under-£500

The Giant sticks out like a sore thumb.
The B'Twin the reviewers love is currently available for £299, but that's on-line.

As others have said you really need to ride before you buy, esp for your first bike.
You'll be surprised, once you've had the feel of a couple of bikes, you will begin to notice differences between brands.

You will have an idiot grin on your face when you realise how easy it it.
In the meantime get the thinnest slickest tyres your MTB wheels will take.
It ain't great but it's better than nothing.

If you stay curious, as you know they'll be someone here to talk you through specifics. :lol:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

I said that when I was making the switch. From DH racing in motocross style pyjamas to Enduro then to XC, always wore my baggies with pride. Now a fully fledged roadie, I'd not ride in anything other than my lycra. I think I did 2 or 3 road rides in my baggies before making the switch.

Tight clothes are more aero and create less drag meaning those Strava times will be better :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Judging by your ride yesterday I don't think you should be encouraged into the world of lycra.

You'll be pretty formidable on a proper bike.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Right let's get one thing straight from the start, if your 'curiosity' gets the better of you, at some point:-

YOU WILL END UP IN LYCRA.

Deal with it, get used to it, own it, wear it.

Yep £300 - £400 is the perfect and usual start off point.

Many, if not all, of the major brands look to start their ranges around £500.
So you'd need to shop around to get one of those in budget.
For instance this Cannondale is the cheapest at Evans:-

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-synapse-alloy-claris-2015-road-bike-EV214047

There's plenty of 'best for under £500' guides like
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/176682-best-road-bike-bargains-under-£500

The Giant sticks out like a sore thumb.
The B'Twin the reviewers love is currently available for £299, but that's on-line.

As others have said you really need to ride before you buy, esp for your first bike.
You'll be surprised, once you've had the feel of a couple of bikes, you will begin to notice differences between brands.

You will have an idiot grin on your face when you realise how easy it it.
In the meantime get the thinnest slickest tyres your MTB wheels will take.
It ain't great but it's better than nothing.

If you stay curious, as you know they'll be someone here to talk you through specifics. :lol:

That article is quite old and, clicking through, the stand-out of those deals aren't available any more. I guess they were when the transition between 2015 and 2016 bikes was going on.

I might venture to the bike shop up in Storrington. I've been there before because my MTB bike is a Specialized and they do their stuff too. Is this shop any good?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That article is quite old and, clicking through, the stand-out of those deals aren't available any more. I guess they were when the transition between 2015 and 2016 bikes was going on.

I might venture to the bike shop up in Storrington. I've been there before because my MTB bike is a Specialized and they do their stuff too. Is this shop any good?

In the reverse to you, I am a roadie who then bought an MTB recently from Decathlon (Rockrider 560 I think) and it is a superb bit of kit for the money considering the specification and components on it.

Equally, Decathlon have this Triban 540 road bike for sale at £500; it has Mavic Aksium wheels (£130 a set), and Shimano 105 drivetrain (£250 on its own). Comes in at 9.5kg without the pedals which is light. For the extra £50 over the price of the Triban 520 with Sora groupset and Btwin wheels, you are getting a big upgrade with the 540. Given the Btwin's feature in most of the articles for bang for your buck, I don't think you'd be disappointed. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8331275.html#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the reverse to you, I am a roadie who then bought an MTB recently from Decathlon (Rockrider 560 I think) and it is a superb bit of kit for the money considering the specification and components on it.

Equally, Decathlon have this Triban 540 road bike for sale at £500; it has Mavic Aksium wheels (£130 a set), and Shimano 105 drivetrain (£250 on its own). Comes in at 9.5kg without the pedals which is light. For the extra £50 over the price of the Triban 520 with Sora groupset and Btwin wheels, you are getting a big upgrade with the 540. Given the Btwin's feature in most of the articles for bang for your buck, I don't think you'd be disappointed. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8331275.html#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation

Thanks! I'll have to confess at never having heard of Decathlon nor B'Twin, but that does sound a good deal. They seem to have a shop up in Crawley so I'll try and head up there this week.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thanks! I'll have to confess at never having heard of Decathlon nor B'Twin, but that does sound a good deal. They seem to have a shop up in Crawley so I'll try and head up there this week.

If you are going to ride a road bike on the road for any more than 30 minutes then get some lycra and a proper road jersey. You will be more comfortable, you will go faster and, IMO, look less funny/odd.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Decathlon are a great brand! My dad also bought himself a Rockrider 560 full sus MTB a couple of months back & it is SUPERB value for money (£500) The Triban range of road bikes are fantastic too - but save your petrol Bozza, the Crawley Store doesn't open until August / September at the earliest IIRC (just interviewed for the Cycling Dept. Managers job!) Get down to the one in Southampton, or the one at Lakeside, instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here