Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Any bike techies on here that could give me some advice?
I no longer have a road bike (oh how I wish I had kept my Trek now after this years TDF reignited the passion!), but I have a spare mtb at home (Genesis Core 20) that I'm thinking of tinkering with to make it more of a commuter / road hack....Obviously its easy to change to more suitable tyres & adding bar ends etc., but I don't really want my Rockshox on there adding extra weight. Does anyone know if I could just swap them for a pair of modern, straight rigid mtb forks with minimal fuss, or do they have to have certain criteria to fit properly?? Would it alter the frame angles significantly? Obviously it was designed with suspension forks in mind so not sure how different rigid ones would make it.
I don't really have the money spare to go & get a new road bike, so I'm thinking this is the next best thing....?
Obvious question but, do the rockshox have a lockout on them (often at the top of the fork)?

If not then cheap new forks with a lock might be your best option as I'm not sure about rigid forks as a replacement.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I no longer have a road bike (oh how I wish I had kept my Trek now after this years TDF reignited the passion!), but I have a spare mtb at home (Genesis Core 20) that I'm thinking of tinkering with to make it more of a commuter / road hack....Obviously its easy to change to more suitable tyres & adding bar ends etc., but I don't really want my Rockshox on there adding extra weight. Does anyone know if I could just swap them for a pair of modern, straight rigid mtb forks with minimal fuss, or do they have to have certain criteria to fit properly?? Would it alter the frame angles significantly? Obviously it was designed with suspension forks in mind so not sure how different rigid ones would make it.
I don't really have the money spare to go & get a new road bike, so I'm thinking this is the next best thing....?

If it's a 'spare' mtb, wouldn't you be better off selling that, saving the £100 - £150 you're going to end up spending turning into a hi-brid {£30-40 on new tyres, £10 on bar ends, £60-80 on rigid forks), and getting yourself a road bike again? :shrug:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
They do have lockouts - but the forks aren't lightweights by any means, which is more my issue. Would prefer a rigid set as I'll be on skinnier tyres too (which would look odd with suspension imo) Just don't feel I need a set of big Rockshox on a smooth tarmac cycle to work!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
If it's a 'spare' mtb, wouldn't you be better off selling that, saving the £100 - £150 you're going to end up spending turning into a hi-brid {£30-40 on new tyres, £10 on bar ends, £60-80 on rigid forks), and getting yourself a road bike again? :shrug:

Thats the thing - its still a great bike that I love, its not that old & I want to make more use of it, so not sell it if I dont have to. Im on a full sus offroader all the time now, but dont like using it onroad for obvious reasons - which made the Genesis conversion an option. I have a few spare bits at home I can use, so as its really just the forks I need I dont think it would be too much of an expensive job? Certainly better than £250+ for a new bike which I just dont have...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thats the thing - its still a great bike that I love, its not that old & I want to make more use of it, so not sell it if I dont have to. Im on a full sus offroader all the time now, but dont like using it onroad for obvious reasons - which made the Genesis conversion an option. I have a few spare bits at home I can use, so as its really just the forks I need I dont think it would be too much of an expensive job? Certainly better than £250+ for a new bike which I just dont have...

Fair enough, but still, a couple of tyres and forks is going to cost you the price of a decent enough second hand road bike. You could get something like THIS, for £40, new chain and cassette £20, get the spokes and BB serviced at your LBS £40, you're not going to be far off what you'll spend converting the mtb, and you'll have a less nickable, nicer to ride on tarmac hack to get around on. Just a thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd imagine [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] may well be able to help.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Got a mate who's got a Cannondale caad 4 44cm I imaculate condition wants £250 for it. PM me if ur interested.

Not sure if this would be any good for you??? Trickyone posted ths bike for sale.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Depends on the travel of the original Rockshox forks, plus the geometry of the frame and stuff like that. If it is 120mm like the new Genesis Core 20s then it could be difficult to maintain a reasonable geometry with a rigid fork, they are normally set to replace a certain amount of travel, and 120mm would certainly be at the upper end of that. Be prepared for the ride post changeover to feel horribly bumpy to begin with, these replacement rigid forks are not the well designed carbon fibre beauties that come on road bikes. Though you will get used to it. Best bet is to go in to your LBS and get some advice as there are a reasonably high number of variables with replacing a fork, so getting an expert eye is definitely recommended. Make sure you keep the old forks if you do decide to go for it though, you will want to have the option to rectify what may be a costly experiment.

Disclaimer: I was never an expert on MTBs even when I did work in a bike shop. I now am over five years out of the business so my knowledge in this area may be a little out of date. Ask me about proper bikes though... ???

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Fair enough, but still, a couple of tyres and forks is going to cost you the price of a decent enough second hand road bike. You could get something like THIS, for £40, new chain and cassette £20, get the spokes and BB serviced at your LBS £40, you're not going to be far off what you'll spend converting the mtb, and you'll have a less nickable, nicer to ride on tarmac hack to get around on. Just a thought.

Oh, and this.

We are such a bunch of roadie elitists on here :lolol:

You want to do what? Ride a bike with tyres fatter than 3cm, on the road! No no that just won't do :lolol:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Cheers guys - looks like its something I'll have to investigate in depth if I decide to do it! Im certainly not against the idea of a cheap hack like the Raleigh mentioned ( & have found a really nice Schwinn for £50 in Guildford i like the look of) so maybe that would be best. Its a shame my dads old bike isnt big enough as hes selling it and its a lovely old Raleigh Royal Tourer in great condition!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just cycled round the sites of Operation Market Garden for a few days, brilliant stuff. I'm not a geek btw I know very little about bikes

Legs going round in circles, steering, what else is there to know!? :shrug:

Sounds like a interesting place to have a ride around. Something I'd like to do, along with some Normandy and Ardennes rides too. I must get myself organised to watch Paris Roubaix next year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Sounds like a interesting place to have a ride around. Something I'd like to do, along with some Normandy and Ardennes rides too. I must get myself organised to ride Paris Roubaix next year.
Forgive me for correcting your spelling.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Sounds like a interesting place to have a ride around. Something I'd like to do, along with some Normandy and Ardennes rides too. I must get myself organised to watch Paris Roubaix next year.

You need to ride the sportive. I'm still shaking and it was two years ago.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex

We done the D-Day beaches last year over 4 days ( only 125miles ) one of the best holidays I've had. Just done Market Garden and doing The Battle of the Bulge next year. My old bike is going strong at 9 years old still got a few trips left in it I reckon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here