[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looking good for that group. Peloton will not catch this lot up barring some kind of anti QS squabbling up front.

Now look what you've gone and done! :(

Wtf were Sky doing pulling when they had Stan and Viviani in the front group :nono:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lolol:

As soon as I said that the chasers took a chunk out of the gap. The good thing about these 'lesser' races is we get Eurosport's second string commentators Rob Hatch and Magnus Backstedt, such a relief to have reasoned well informed commentary rather than the repetitive cliches and inaccuracies of Carlton Kirby.

100% agree on the commentators. These two are good while Kirby is becoming unlistenable for me.

Gutted it's all come together. Yet more sprinters now for Bennett to try to beat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
100% agree on the commentators. These two are good while Kirby is becoming unlistenable for me.

Gutted it's all come together. Yet more sprinters now for Bennett to try to beat.
I loved the bit where Hatch did a 'massive turn on the front' handed over to Big Maggi with a question who said, "errrr" and fell silent.

Great win by Cav.
Lovely racing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just listened to 'Roar'.

Brett Mendoza mentioned hoping to get the REMF charity ride going again this Sept, including a Falmer - Selhurst - Falmer 100 miler.

Would a tailwind for the whole ride be too much to ask for? :dunce:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I've just listened to 'Roar'.

Brett Mendoza mentioned hoping to get the REMF charity ride going again this Sept, including a Falmer - Selhurst - Falmer 100 miler.

Would a tailwind for the whole ride be too much to ask for? :dunce:

Well I guess you won't be getting much slip, knew you were already training for something :)

Anyhow, tomorrow is pencilled in as riding day and could do with some inspiration for some mileage, forecast looks good, any Geeks up for a spontaneous meet (prob only a few hills and miles with distances involved). Would prefer to go North or West to have some wind assistance home. Gonna have to get the bike sorted as clogged up and only 2 gears at mo but like to ride come what may.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well I guess you won't be getting much slip, knew you were already training for something :)

Anyhow, tomorrow is pencilled in as riding day and could do with some inspiration for some mileage, forecast looks good, any Geeks up for a spontaneous meet (prob only a few hills and miles with distances involved). Would prefer to go North or West to have some wind assistance home. Gonna have to get the bike sorted as clogged up and only 2 gears at mo but like to ride come what may.

I'm a bit envious of you lot able to get out and ride during weekdays whilst I'm stuck at work all day. I was hoping to do a chain gang ride this eve but feeling under the weather to the point that even my tiny commute felt like hard work today.
I'm still curious to see what route Hamilton has in mind for us all for the Geeks meet up on the 28th. It's all gone a bit quiet on that front.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] did a 60 mile ride a couple of weeks ago, that looked pretty much ideal.
Although my knowledge of lesser Sussex is minimal to say the least.

As for my 'training', once Sunday is done im going for distance.
At some point later in the year I fancy the 'lumpy' route to Box Hill and back.
Its well over a hundred, door to door, so I'll need Colin to tow me along, and anyone else who fancies the challenge.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Well that does sound inspiring Stat, keep us posted on that one (though could be bit out of way for me if it's not sunny) and hope all goes well for Sunday. Also keen to hear what Hamilton has in store for us, still hoping to make it but not sure of any sleep that weekend. Excuses over.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] did a 60 mile ride a couple of weeks ago, that looked pretty much ideal.

Its well over a hundred, door to door, so I'll need Colin to tow me along, and anyone else who fancies the challenge.

I might be up for say an Autumnal long 'lumpy' route brand new to me and taking in an iconic hill. I'd need to build up to it though, and a hot Summer's day would be out of the question too. Only trouble is I've a bloody long way to go before I could match the pace of you and your mate Colin, if ever I could at all even! I'm not sure you'd want someone of my standard tagging along to be honest on a big ride like that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I might be up for say an Autumnal long 'lumpy' route brand new to me and taking in an iconic hill. I'd need to build up to it though, and a hot Summer's day would be out of the question too. Only trouble is I've a bloody long way to go before I could match the pace of you and your mate Colin, if ever I could at all even! I'm not sure you'd want someone of my standard tagging along to be honest on a big ride like that.
Don't let some of my silly recent rides give you the wrong idea.
This Sundays Puncheur will be a more realistic gauge of my actual ability.

Although Colin is a tarmac eating animal.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

Tend to agree with you 10, think that Colin chap is probably best left to his own devices, perhaps we could meet them for tea and cake !

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't let some of my silly recent rides give you the wrong idea.
This Sundays Puncheur will be a more realistic gauge of my actual ability.

Although Colin is a tarmac eating animal.

Yeah yeah, flats and tails winds can skew the figures :bla::bla::bla: but I ain't silly and I'm one for research remember, so you're not fooling me with that old chestnut. :thumbsup:

Tend to agree with you 10, think that Colin chap is probably best left to his own devices, perhaps we could meet them for tea and cake !

What's all this 'we' business... see above. :lol:
With this Colin and SB I only have the figures to go by, whereas with you I've seen the reality with my own eyes remember, so I definitely ain't buying that one!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm a bit envious of you lot able to get out and ride during weekdays whilst I'm stuck at work all day.
That does come at a price and one I don't think you're prepared to pay.
I am writing this just 6 hours after your last post on Geeks.
Not to mention half an hour earlier than that on Saturdays.

Not that I'm moaning too much, as the pay off is getting up at 'normal time' in the summer and riding through the best part of the day to be home for lunch. Or relaxing all afternoon and out of a spin at 6ish.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

That ride is pretty much my regular route, and I would love to show it off to all of you...but I am skiing that weekend.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] ? Where are you?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Gentlemen (and Lady) Geeks.

I have to make an admission about the 28th. Unfortunately, I am now unable to make this date. My profuse apologies to all.

So, may I suggest that a geek step in to create a route in my place, or alternatively we shift to another date - say Sunday March 22nd.

Yours in Veloshame.

Hamilton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I have to make an admission about the 28th. Unfortunately, I am now unable to make this date. My profuse apologies to all.

So, may I suggest that a geek step in to create a route in my place, or alternatively we shift to another date - say Sunday March 22nd.

Yours in Veloshame.

Hamilton
Even though I was never in, until the week of the 28, if I back out of this one, it'll free up that Saturday for someone else and hopefully give me more chance of getting a different Saturday further along the line.
Sundays are much easier for me to arrange, just not 22nd having already earmarked this Sunday for cycling.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Hi all, on Monday I had my first ever velodrome experience - a taster session at the National Cycling Centre in Manchester. It took a few tentative laps before I had the confidence to go above the red line, and the first few corners I was simply not putting down enough power to hold my line. But, I really enjoyed it. Its a shame that there aren't any proper velodromes near where I live.

After an hour on the boards, it felt like I had done the most hardcore spin class ever - my legs were in bits!!

Great fun, even though I was being regularly overtaken by the more experienced people who weren't on their first session and had bought along their own very shiny track bikes instead of the hire bike I was using.

I took Stat's advice - the first time I saw the track was when I came up in the middle. I am very jealous of the kids who were on the velodrome after me for their PE lesson - at my school, we were made to do cross country for PE!! Lucky so-and-so's!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Yours in Veloshame.

Hamilton

Gutted unable to make it. Shift work sometimes has it's advantages but not on this occasion. Enjoy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports