[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Ha ha! I take you trying to plan the big one? Why not use mapmyride (other route finder are available) and screen shot the parts of the ride you're unsure of. Just a thought.

I'll upload the route to the garminge and while I have got a really good internal compass and can recall key places I've spotted on google street view, in case I hit the wall, I'd like the security of being able to get to the nearest station.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I'll upload the route to the garminge and while I have got a really good internal compass and can recall key places I've spotted on google street view, in case I hit the wall, I'd like the security of being able to get to the nearest station.

Ah yeah! I forgot you geeks use those fancy devices. :D

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Steppers bossing things again. No surprise really. Stan going well.

Demare puncture...probably game over for him at this stage in proceedings :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If there was such a thing as in race betting, Stan would have been mental odds to pull that off.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
i am just having a sort out at home, i used to have a iphone 4s and now have changed to a windows phone. i used to use my iphone as a bike computer and had a special mount for my bike. i no longer need it. so would anyone on here need one?? it waterproof and can be used through the cover. just getting rid of it

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Unbelievable scenes!

I think that's possibly the first time I've punched the air in victory over a cycle race :lol:

Unbelievable scenes indeed! Easy to say tactical fail by the steppers, but boy is Stan a beast or what?! :bowdown:

I do feel a bit for Vanmarcke, getting that puncture where he did and the work he did to try to bring it back, but that was a Stan victory even more epic than last season's.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I think that's possibly the first time I've punched the air in victory over a cycle race [emoji38]

Unbelievable scenes indeed! Easy to say tactical fail by the steppers, but boy is Stan a beast or what?! :bowdown:

I do feel a bit for Vanmarcke, getting that puncture where he did and the work he did to try to bring it back, but that was a Stan victory even more epic than last season's.
Great from stannard but what a monumental balls up from EQS!

They underestimated stannard and thought they could just choose one of them to ride away from him. Tactics for 3 on 1 are piss easy. 2k to go VDB goes, if caught then terpstra goes, if caught then boonen takes him in the sprint!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Do any of you have a small 80s road bike, that is collecting dust anywhere? I am try to find one that is in working order and is small. It's for my daughter and she is only 5ft 3. She is doing the Eroica Britannia and needs a pre 87 bike. I am keeping an eye on eBay at the moment but struggling to find a suitable one.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great from stannard but what a monumental balls up from EQS!

They underestimated stannard and thought they could just choose one of them to ride away from him. Tactics for 3 on 1 are piss easy. 2k to go VDB goes, if caught then terpstra goes, if caught then boonen takes him in the sprint!

Yep, very odd tatics to send Boonen up the road first at about the 4km to go point.

Ok, Vanmarcke chasing for so long meant they couldn't really play games with Stan from further out but the Vanmarcke/GVA chase was done for come 10km to go. It's as you say, just one two Stannard with Vandenbergh and Terpstra until he's spent, Boonen just sits and then takes it in the sprint at the end. Instead they gambled early with Boonen and lost big time!

Having said that Stan played it perfect himself. Let Boonen dangle a bit before closing him down, then had a dig himself to stop Terpstra and Vandenbergh keep one twoing him, and finally, timed the sprint to the line to perfection with Terpstra being silly enough to effectively lead him out.

I was absolutely buzzing with that finish, having resigned myself to a Boonen win once those 4 made the decisive break at around 50km. It was the stuff of cycling legend I reckon.

For a moment I was hoping Chava, in a group with Gilbert and Marcato, might make it over to Vanmarcke/GVA/Stybar and it may have been game on for Chava while they all looked at each other, but realistically that was never going to happen as the 4 in front were just too strong. Anyhow, both Demare and Chava finished ahead of Trentin in the end I note, and that's despite a Demare puncture :wink:

Rooting for Sam Bennett tomorrow, or failing that, hoping for a Cav win.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yep, very odd tatics to send Boonen up the road first at about the 4km to go point.

Ok, Vanmarcke chasing for so long meant they couldn't really play games with Stan from further out but the Vanmarcke/GVA chase was done for come 10km to go. It's as you say, just one two Stannard with Vandenbergh and Terpstra until he's spent, Boonen just sits and then takes it in the sprint at the end. Instead they gambled early with Boonen and lost big time!

Having said that Stan played it perfect himself. Let Boonen dangle a bit before closing him down, then had a dig himself to stop Terpstra and Vandenbergh keep one twoing him, and finally, timed the sprint to the line to perfection with Terpstra being silly enough to effectively lead him out.

I was absolutely buzzing with that finish, having resigned myself to a Boonen win once those 4 made the decisive break at around 50km. It was the stuff of cycling legend I reckon.

For a moment I was hoping Chava, in a group with Gilbert and Marcato, might make it over to Vanmarcke/GVA/Stybar and it may have been game on for Chava while they all looked at each other, but realistically that was never going to happen as the 4 in front were just too strong. Anyhow, both Demare and Chava finished ahead of Trentin in the end I note, and that's despite a Demare puncture :wink:

Boonen admitted that he thought his attack was the one but you never underestimate the man with no. 1 on his back!

I wonder if there is some internal rift and terpstra thinks he's the man now and not boonen?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

:lol: I've been waiting for that.
The theory was sound, Trentin just didn't make the final selection.

At least Stybar has kept himself fresh and out of the recriminations.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Boonen admitted that he thought his attack was the one but you never underestimate the man with no. 1 on his back!

I wonder if there is some internal rift and terpstra thinks he's the man now and not boonen?

I've seen talk of that. Terpstra a Dutchie on a Belgium team, and not a popular type of bloke apparently too. Vandenburgh seemed to cover a Terpstra attack at one point which would appear to have aided Stannard come across, although that has since been explained by the team as a confusion on the part of Vandenburgh.

Either way that is a monumental f*** up by the steppers to be beaten on a 3v1 contest, especially considering their strength in depth. I mean, even Stybar was just sitting with Vanmarcke and GVA in the chase, so they had every possible base covered and they still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Incredible really.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lol: I've been waiting for that.
The theory was sound, Trentin just didn't make the final selection.

At least Stybar has kept himself fresh and out of the recriminations.

Sorry, just couldn't resist :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here