Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat Hack is back on the road, and purring like a kitten.

I took the offending part into my LBS and he said the 2 phrases I knew he would, and I was dreading:-
'good luck getting that off there'.
&
'leave it with me, I should get it done by the weekend'.

Naturally I told him to shove it.

Anyway I finally fractured the offending bearing outer casing while squeezing it in a vice and twatting it with a screwdriver & hammer.

It all fitted beautifully back together and is factory smooth.
If I could index I could now strip every single moving part off the bike, and then rebuild it as new.
Happy days.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:D

Were any naughty words used for extra dramatic effect?
No I was a good boy.
Colin had been faffing around with it I think my exact words were:-

'oh just give me something heavy'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] haven't we waited long enough for your new bike test ride report?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Come on [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] haven't we waited long enough for your new bike test ride report?

Sorry Stat forgot, 2nd ride on it today and all I can say is loving it! Thought my other bike ran smoothly but this is a different league. Nice on the flat, nice on the climbs and nice on the downhills. Only one problem I can find is the spare part sat on it. :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's shaping up to be another big week for us North Stand Geeks over on Strava, all 38 of us :shrug: (come on people you know the rules).

I can feel another 'where did we collectively ride too'? come up.

If my memory serves last time we made it to Malta or Morocco.
Whatever the destination of our combined distance is it's going to be pretty impressive for February.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've cycled naff all for ages. Will try to cycle to work every day next week. Need to do some sprint practice as my other half has got me a session at the national velodrome in Manchester for my birthday - I don't want to be embarrassingly slow!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've cycled naff all for ages. Will try to cycle to work every day next week. Need to do some sprint practice as my other half has got me a session at the national velodrome in Manchester for my birthday - I don't want to be embarrassingly slow!

Whereas I won't cycle to work at all next week.

I'm on holiday! :vuvu:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brilliant.

As said before, when you arrive resist the temptation to watch from a viewing gallery.

Your first (assuming that's what it'll be) experience of a velodrome MUST be walking into it from below.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
It's shaping up to be another big week for us North Stand Geeks over on Strava, all 38 of us :shrug: (come on people you know the rules).

I can feel another 'where did we collectively ride too'? come up.

If my memory serves last time we made it to Malta or Morocco.
Whatever the destination of our combined distance is it's going to be pretty impressive for February.

Out of interest Stat what's the record for miles ridden in a week ?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Anyone else following the yearly mile record attempts - Steve Abraham here and Kurt Searvogel in florida.

Each racking up 200 odd miles a day. The yank did 200 miles at 19.3mph with an average HR of 95bpm!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Out of interest Stat what's the record for miles ridden in a week ?
Back in the Summer one week we did a hell of a lot of miles, although I have no idea if it was the most.
I'm pretty sure the total mileage ridden got us to Valletta as per:-

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distanceresult.html?p1=1352&p2=255

so that week we did 1263 miles.

Chances are it was the week of the club ride out.
But conversely it could just have been a week where one of us left their Garmin on when popping to the shops.
While [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] attempted to make the planet spin the other way.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
O
Back in the Summer one week we did a hell of a lot of miles, although I have no idea if it was the most.
I'm pretty sure the total mileage ridden got us to Valletta as per:-

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distanceresult.html?p1=1352&p2=255

so that week we did 1263 miles.

Chances are it was the week of the club ride out.
But conversely it could just have been a week where one of us left their Garmin on when popping to the shops.
While [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] attempted to make the planet spin the other way.

Ha ha! Just trying to keep the wheels spinning the right way at the moment. Starting to lose my mojo a bit - bring on the spring!

IL - been following the one year time trial with interest. I met steve during my audax phase and I've got no doubt (barring injury) that he'll do it. Just seems unfortunate that, in making the first attempt on the record in 80 odd years, he's come up against a yank in florida doing large chunks of it on a recumbent. Hopefully steve 's tortoise and hare approach will pay dividends later in the year, but he's definitely doing it the hard way! We're putting him up in April, so I'll let you all know how his mental state is!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We've currently gone through Warsaw.
Tomorrow someone needs to put in a shift if we're to get to Gibraltar and on to Africa.

You know the simple answer don't you. Ask Glanders to put in a word for us and get Steve Abraham signed up to the club :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know the simple answer don't you. Ask Glanders to put in a word for us and get Steve Abraham signed up to the club :thumbsup:
He could be yet another nameless mystery man :angry: :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here