[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well worth catching the Dubai highlights today. Pretty impressive finish.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Haven't seen the footage, but wondered how cav looked on the climbs?

Pretty good, he got dropped on an early climb but it got brought back together by his team. On the final climb he was up there until pretty near the end. I think if he wins tomorrows stage there are enough bonus seconds for him to take the GC (I think, I'm not going to look up the rules of the Tour of Dubai, even I am not that sad).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Pretty good, he got dropped on an early climb but it got brought back together by his team. On the final climb he was up there until pretty near the end. I think if he wins tomorrows stage there are enough bonus seconds for him to take the GC (I think, I'm not going to look up the rules of the Tour of Dubai, even I am not that sad).

Yep, should claw back 10 seconds so should take the overall.

Very nice finish today. I'm kicking myself as I nearly open my betting for the season last night on that result today. So far every bet I would have gone for would have gone tits up so I've been glad to have kept my powder dry, but last night I could have got decent odds and opened up my account up a treat. Oh well, got enough enjoyment out of watching that finish anyway.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Thanks for that. If he's getting over hills that are seeing viviani et al dropped, got to be good news for msr?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also on Eurosport, in a minute.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been watching Dubai somewhat agog, the place looks absolutely fascinating.

The whole place coast and mountains, for different reasons, don't look like the same planet that the rest of us live on.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
For the first time, I have got a place on Ride London 100. I'm really pleased, after the testimonial that [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] has given to this experience.

So, who else is doing it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For the first time, I have got a place on Ride London 100. I'm really pleased, after the testimonial that [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] has given to this experience.

So, who else is doing it?

You'll love it. Hopefully the weather last year was a one off. Cruising out of the Olympic Park on a closed 3 lane highway through London in a massoove peloton is just a brilliant start to it. I think I saw mentioned earlier that [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] is doing it. All I'd say is plan what you're going to do getting there Sunday morning. I got lost cycling from Balham to the Olympic Park, although I was late, my group hadn't left so I was fine, but it wasn't great to turn up all flustered and panicked.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You'll love it. Hopefully the weather last year was a one off. Cruising out of the Olympic Park on a closed 3 lane highway through London in a massoove peloton is just a brilliant start to it. I think I saw mentioned earlier that [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] is doing it. All I'd say is plan what you're going to do getting there Sunday morning. I got lost cycling from Balham to the Olympic Park, although I was late, my group hadn't left so I was fine, but it wasn't great to turn up all flustered and panicked.

OK Bold, cheers for that. With start times from 6 to 9am, I am hoping for a later slot. Will have to stay with someone, I think.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm also doing Ride London. Definitely going to go down the day before, have to register and pick up starters pack on either the Thursday, Friday or Saturday so will probably head over and do that Saturday and then stay in London.

Seems like the way forward. Unfortunately, most of my London friends have moved out, or I haven't been in contact for a while...looks like it may be time to rekindle some old friendships!

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Yeah, but Cavendish obviously didn't have a chance of winning in a stage with a finish like that. I'm surprised that Degenkolb had that in him, he seems to have reinvented himself somewhat.

Agreed. I'd still back Cav to win a flat sprint against Degenkolb on the Via Roma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports