Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My Planet X TT frame has arrived and as expected it is a thing of beauty!

However, I've never built a bike before - I took one look at the supplied headset in its packet and decided I need to investigate this a bit further.

One slight issue I've realised is that it has a BB30 bottom bracket - stupidly hadn't realised this wouldn't work with my current Shimano BB and chainset. I've noticed that there is a BB30 to Shimano converter set available - does anyone have any experience of this? In the short run it will be much cheaper than getting a new chainset that is BB30 compatible.

The other issue with a new chainset is that I'll be running 8 speed Shimano at the back to start and current chainsets all seem to be 9 or 10 speed. However, a bit of searching seems to imply that it should be fine as long as you get the right chain for it.

It's going to be an educational winter!
Good luck.

It's one thing learning the ropes on a bike you found in a skip, something completely different on a spanking new one.

IL and Pantani will step up, in the meantime:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Good luck.

It's one thing learning the ropes on a bike you found in a skip, something completely different on a spanking new one.

IL and Pantani will step up, in the meantime:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/

Thanks! Like with any new toy, I'm keen to try it as soon as I can. However, in reality I won't want to start using it properly until the spring so I can take my time (and spread the cost!).

Thanks for the link - I had already seen it but hadn't read it in detail. The Praxis BB converter looks like the best option for now.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Are we allowed to talk about the World Championships on here, or is it on some obscure channel tonight or has some geek recorded it on their Tivo?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
The other issue with a new chainset is that I'll be running 8 speed Shimano at the back to start and current chainsets all seem to be 9 or 10 speed. However, a bit of searching seems to imply that it should be fine as long as you get the right chain for it.

The important thing is to have the correct chain for your cassette (8 speed), because essentially the cassettes are all the same width, so those with more cogs have narrower teeth and spaces between them and therefore require a thinner chain.

I believe the chainsets are more forgiving, for example I'm running 11 speed chain on a 10 speed chainset.

I've been having an absolute nightmare with my TT bike (BMC TM02), finally 3 weeks after buying it I have the integrated rear brake functioning to a degree. Although I have resorted to using gear cable rather than brake cable.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are we allowed to talk about the World Championships on here, or is it on some obscure channel tonight or has some geek recorded it on their Tivo?

Bold started a thread specifically for WC talk. Get over there!

Hamilton knows all about getting on the wrong thread and telling everyone the result! :lolol:

I did start a Worlds thread that should be avoided if you've recorded or don't want to know results.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The important thing is to have the correct chain for your cassette (8 speed), because essentially the cassettes are all the same width, so those with more cogs have narrower teeth and spaces between them and therefore require a thinner chain.

I believe the chainsets are more forgiving, for example I'm running 11 speed chain on a 10 speed chainset.

I've been having an absolute nightmare with my TT bike (BMC TM02), finally 3 weeks after buying it I have the integrated rear brake functioning to a degree. Although I have resorted to using gear cable rather than brake cable.
I don't have a lot of experience with it having gone 8 to 9 in 1997 then to 11 this year!

I believe 11 is temperamental but the others are a bit more forgiving. Just check the chain spec carefully.

I have to say those integrated brakes look nice but my suspicions are correct - an absolute bugger if not working!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
My Planet X TT frame has arrived and as expected it is a thing of beauty!

However, I've never built a bike before - I took one look at the supplied headset in its packet and decided I need to investigate this a bit further.

One slight issue I've realised is that it has a BB30 bottom bracket - stupidly hadn't realised this wouldn't work with my current Shimano BB and chainset. I've noticed that there is a BB30 to Shimano converter set available - does anyone have any experience of this? In the short run it will be much cheaper than getting a new chainset that is BB30 compatible.

It's going to be an educational winter!
Having done it many times before about 15-20 years ago and then again this year, here are a few tips for building own bike.

Start with bb and headset, then get all components installed.

Then get your riding position set, this will help with the next step.

Next get cabling in BUT do not cut anything until you are literally about ride it. Outers you'll have to cut but make sure there is enough excess to turn the bars.

I imagine there are all kinds of internal cabling fun on a TT bike - no tips for them!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hamilton knows all about getting on the wrong thread and telling everyone the result! :lolol:

I did start a Worlds thread that should be avoided if you've recorded or don't want to know results.

So I should or shouldn't say that Wiggins should be made a Lord next?

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Having done it many times before about 15-20 years ago and then again this year, here are a few tips for building own bike.

Start with bb and headset, then get all components installed.

Then get your riding position set, this will help with the next step.

Next get cabling in BUT do not cut anything until you are literally about ride it. Outers you'll have to cut but make sure there is enough excess to turn the bars.

I imagine there are all kinds of internal cabling fun on a TT bike - no tips for them!

Fantastic - thanks for the advice.

Think I'm going to take it to LBS to get the headset done - I don't have the tools and it looks quite easy to make a mess of it!

I was just looking at the internal cabling runs trying to work out where they all went. Assume its a case of new cables and lots of grease to get them through...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fantastic - thanks for the advice.

Think I'm going to take it to LBS to get the headset done - I don't have the tools and it looks quite easy to make a mess of it!

I was just looking at the internal cabling runs trying to work out where they all went. Assume its a case of new cables and lots of grease to get them through...
Don't forget youtube when looking for help.

Just so long as the 'tutor' isn't holding a hammer it should be helpful.

Here's a starter:-

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Birthday prezzies = cash. Nice. Not mountains, but enough to have a bit of fun with.

Overshoes are a deffo. Help me spend the rest. Get that Mojito, put it away in the long term carbon synapse fund or something else?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Birthday prezzies = cash. Nice. Not mountains, but enough to have a bit of fun with.

Overshoes are a deffo. Help me spend the rest. Get that Mojito, put it away in the long term carbon synapse fund or something else?

Misread this.

Friends of mine flew to Nice, the Mediterranean city this summer, and went cycling into the mountains. So I was about to disagree with you when you when you wrote 'Nice. Not mountains'. :FFSPuncheon

You need another bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it possible to have a season ending bet on Sunday's Worlds.

I've cast a quick eye over the Skybet odds and value is tough to find (nothing new for Skybet)

GVA at 14/1 from the favourites.
Navardauskas would be value, but not at 33/1.
Which one of the 250/1 'Z's has had his nose in the wind this season Zaugg or Zoidl?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Misread this.

Friends of mine flew to Nice, the Mediterranean city this summer, and went cycling into the mountains. So I was about to disagree with you when you when you wrote 'Nice. Not mountains'. :FFSPuncheon

You need another bike.
We all need another bike.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Loads of nice cycling stuff in aldi today, I just purchased a bike stand which holds maximum 2 bikes and some lobster gloves. Love the special days they do. Worth having a look for some reasonable clothing and accessories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here