Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Thanks for the advice BA. If I get into this then I'll start a triathlon geeks thread!

My pleasure. I've just looked it up and in winning the Olympics Alistair Brownlee ran the 10km in 29:07, now I don't know what his stand alone time is, but the 10km world record is 'only' 26:17. He's also claimed he doesn't think he could reach the Olympic qualifying time of 27:30, therefore this sort of shows how little his times must differ.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Brighton Excelsior do club rides from the Red Lion pub in Shoreham at 09.00 on a Sunday morning - typically a 40 or 50 mile run out back by midday, and a social ride on a Thursday night through the summer 6.30pm till 8.30pm or so. Sounds a bit intimidating perhaps, but it's just a friendly bunch of cyclists, often with an age range of 14 to 70.

I've ridden with [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], @judge, and [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION], although unfortunately it's not that regular but we do meet up if we can. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] for example will say he's going on a leisurely 35 mile Saturday morning spin and turn it into 70 miles with some vicious climbs!

Nice one buddy, loving riding but keen to ride with others! ! Strava downloaded so will check out routes! Will keep an eye out for pogue mahone. ..not keen on hills yet!!!!

[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] has another trick. For the first 10 miles he makes out as if his legs aren't in it or there is something wrong with his bike. This makes you feel for him and feel you can set the pace. Beware. The man has an engine on him the size of Belgium. In fact he is as canny and tough as any rider you'll find in Flanders.

Hang on...

I've been eating and drinking way too much this month. And I have also treated myself to a ciggie or two.

I am the wrong side of 50, and though I can cycle up hills, it won't happen quickly.

I'll come out on that Saturday, but may struggle to keep up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ray Donovan - talk me through that. I meant to watch it. Have I missed it?

Celeste - a song by Donovan, if I'm not mistaken. The symmetry is incredible.
Pretty much, it's mid way through the second series.

It's an entertaining darkly black romp, completely OTT with lots of violence and rumpy-pumpy.
I guess basically it's the under side of LA, revolving around an 'enforcer' with issues.

If you can watch beyond the far fetched premise, it's well written and acted, juggling half a dozen tangents at any one time.
Definitely worth a watch, but not something you can pick up half way through or dip in and out off, unlike the bevvy of beauties throwing themselves at Ray.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

It's an entertaining darkly black romp, completely OTT with lots of violence and rumpy-pumpy.
I guess basically it's the under side of LA, revolving around an 'enforcer' with issues.

If you can watch beyond the far fetched premise, it's well written and acted, juggling half a dozen tangents at any one time.
Definitely worth a watch, but not something you can pick up half way through or dip in and out off, unlike the bevvy of beauties throwing themselves at Ray.

Looks like I need to check Netflix.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I second that, reasonably entertaining but no southland!
Looks like I need to check Netflix.
Currently ploughing through orange is the new black from Netflix (awaiting next house of cards!)

:clap:

I've got the same combo and also went for a lay down on the pavement at the weekend.

Get a little screwdriver out and loosen where indicated.

Basically, assume you are going to fall so unclip in advance. It'll spare your blushes. I'll try and do the same...

Cheers mate. I've loosened the pedals and seemed to help tonight. Loving being back in the saddle. My previous racer was a 5 speed Raleigh Arena in 1984.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hang on...

I've been eating and drinking way too much this month. And I have also treated myself to a ciggie or two.

I am the wrong side of 50, and though I can cycle up hills, it won't happen quickly.

I'll come out on that Saturday, but may struggle to keep up.

Here we go.

I told you all. Be warned.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, no, no. 6th September.
Making it either 6 12 or 18 weeks ago the 3 of you went out, as that also coincided with my Saturday day off shift pattern.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
On a more sacrilegious note - I've decided to move to the dark side and commit some multi-sport heresy!! Anyone on here have any experience of moving from cycling to triathlon?

Swimming sucks. Other than that triathlon's great!

With a 400m/20k/5k race I'd be out of the water in 8 minutes, 36 mins on the bike and aiming at sub-20 on the run (bearing in mind I used to do things like training...)

Practice your transitions - get your kit set in the right order and practice. Don't even think about socks or anything other than a tri-suit for the whole race (unless it's snowing - I spent 6 minutes layering up in T1 for an early-season race once!), although arm warmers might be worth taking, just in case. Elastic laces for running shoes are a must. You aren't allowed to mark your spot in transition, but you are allowed to put a towel down to stand on - use a nice, unique colour that's easy to spot. It also stops you using your bike as a marker - great for T1, not so handy for T2! Set your kit in order of need - mine goes bike shoes, then race number (attached to a clip-on number belt), sun glasses and helmet on the tri bars, then run shoes. Any drink or tools should be on the bike already.

The transition from bike to run is weird, but the more you practice the more used to it you get - a few gym sessions going from static bike to treadmill can help (I'll recommend my "kilo brick" session - 1k on the bike as hard as you can, followed by 1k run as hard as you can, then repeat until you think you're going to die, then 1 more!). Come the race once you get your running shoes on just run the first km really hard - you don't have time to worry about the weird, and it'll all be over in 20 minutes anyway.

One of the nicest parts of triathlon is the genuine support you get from other racers. It's usually difficult to know whether the person in front of you is actually in front or behind you time-wise anyway due to the time trial nature of most races. Seriously, you won't be last, but even if you are you'll get supported by strangers (VERY unlike bike racing!). Oh, there's probably tea and cake somewhere on the finish line if any incentive was ever needed...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

With a 400m/20k/5k race I'd be out of the water in 8 minutes, 36 mins on the bike and aiming at sub-20 on the run (bearing in mind I used to do things like training...)

Practice your transitions - get your kit set in the right order and practice. Don't even think about socks or anything other than a tri-suit for the whole race (unless it's snowing - I spent 6 minutes layering up in T1 for an early-season race once!), although arm warmers might be worth taking, just in case. Elastic laces for running shoes are a must. You aren't allowed to mark your spot in transition, but you are allowed to put a towel down to stand on - use a nice, unique colour that's easy to spot. It also stops you using your bike as a marker - great for T1, not so handy for T2! Set your kit in order of need - mine goes bike shoes, then race number (attached to a clip-on number belt), sun glasses and helmet on the tri bars, then run shoes. Any drink or tools should be on the bike already.

The transition from bike to run is weird, but the more you practice the more used to it you get - a few gym sessions going from static bike to treadmill can help (I'll recommend my "kilo brick" session - 1k on the bike as hard as you can, followed by 1k run as hard as you can, then repeat until you think you're going to die, then 1 more!). Come the race once you get your running shoes on just run the first km really hard - you don't have time to worry about the weird, and it'll all be over in 20 minutes anyway.

One of the nicest parts of triathlon is the genuine support you get from other racers. It's usually difficult to know whether the person in front of you is actually in front or behind you time-wise anyway due to the time trial nature of most races. Seriously, you won't be last, but even if you are you'll get supported by strangers (VERY unlike bike racing!). Oh, there's probably tea and cake somewhere on the finish line if any incentive was ever needed...
What a ball ache.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Your first sentence is edited and does make a lot of sense.

True I know, but I'm struggling to find any motivation for cycling events at the moment. Unfortunately I am never going to be as quick as I used to be and switching to a triathlon might help. Got to resist the temptation to just train on the bike though!

What a ball ache.

True. Maybe it should be neutralised so you can get changed into proper cycling gear. I can't imagine having to start a bike ride soaking wet!!

Cheers, excellent advice. Although there is no way I'll manage to ride/run without socks on!!!!!

I had no aim for the swim but was looking at close to 30 mins for the bike and close to 20 for the run (hopeful maybe!?!)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
True I know, but I'm struggling to find any motivation for cycling events at the moment. Unfortunately I am never going to be as quick as I used to be and switching to a triathlon might help. Got to resist the temptation to just train on the bike though!

At least you know you were quick, having started late, I have the realisation that I'll never be as good as I could have been…

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

It's the sport of mediocrity - if you're actually good in the water, or on the bike or running then that's your sport and you compete and win stuff. If you're quite good, but not competitive at any of the components then you do triathlon.

The kit can be a ball ache, but the more you do the less you take - I got to the stage where for sprints I wouldn't worry about nutrition or even p*****e repairing stuff; mechanical = race over. I'd travel in race kit and run shoes with towel and goggles, bike, helmet and number.

Just remembered - flip flops!!!! You'll want to leave your running shoes in transition and walk to the pool in them. This is essentially how my race-morning went, with minor panics about forgetting stuff. The less you try to take, the less these is to leave at home and worry about. :)

there is no way I'll manage to ride/run without socks on!!!!!

HTFU! :wink:

What race are you aiming for?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
At least you know you were quick, having started late, I have the realisation that I'll never be as good as I could have been…

My major regret in life is now giving up swimming when I was about 10, and not finding triathlon until I was mid-20s. If I'd had pushier parents I could've been actually good! C'est la vie...

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Although there is no way I'll manage to ride/run without socks on!!!!!

After your first sprint I'm sure you'll have changed your mind, I did. Just put plenty of talc into both your bike and running shoes.

I had no aim for the swim but was looking at close to 30 mins for the bike and close to 20 for the run (hopeful maybe!?!)

Given that you do have some swimming pedigree from your past and obviously have a pretty decent level of fitness, for 400m I would think you should definitely ok for a pace of at least 2:00min/100m with a small amount of training. If you can swim the full distance front crawl without stopping then it's hard to swim it a pace much slower than that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here